mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Bad Boy....Rigid or Suspended

Looking to add a bike to commute to work and really like the Bad Boy. I will be riding paved bike trails and city streets and the Bad Boy is the only bike that I have seen that really catches my eye (the more you like it the more you will ride it ). Really like the idea of the the model with the Head Shock Lefty but not sure if it is worth the $600 more than the BB5 with the rigid Lefty.
    Also i will have to order without trying so wondering what size to get, all my mountain bikes are larges but not sure on the Bad Boy. I am 5'11" (shoe-less) 31 1/2" inseam and around 240 geared up.
    Any feedback on the bike or any other advice is appreciated, Thanks!!

LA CHÈVRE
    Personally, I don't see the point of a suspension for a commuter... and streets here have so much potholes and huge cracks, they're far from smooth. Still, I prefer no suspension, less maintenance, less attractive to thieves and yeah, less money spent! I'd consider the Bad Boy with the Headshok if the bike was also being used as your mountain bike but for streets, gravel/dirt/paved roads and even non technical trails, a rigid fork is the business!

As for the size, a Large sounds about right. Are your other mountain bikes Cannondales? If you're not sure about the right size, I'd compare the sizing charts of the Bad Boy with the measures of your correctly fitting bikes. Mostly look at the horizontal top tube length (not actual top tube but the measure parallel to the ground, from center of the top headset to the center axis of the seatpost), that's the measure that matters most to fitting/sizing, not the height of a frame.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for your help. I did have a Flash 29er last year and it was a large. I will compare the sizing to my current bikes to see.
    Any feedback on the bike itself? I have not found a whole lot of reviews on them but from what I have it has been good.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Go with the BB5. I think it's the perfect city bike and the rigid is simple and easy to maintain. I'm 6'2" with an inseam of 32", I ride a large BB5 and a F29er flash in a large as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My wife surprised me with ordering a 2013 Bad Boy 1 for my birthday. Looking forward to getting it and I will post up some pics when she arrives. What would be a good larger tire with good puncture resistance to put on the bike? I was thinking that having a larger tire would help since I am on the heavy side. Thanks.