mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Bad Boy Pregunta....ROAD/MTB TIRE SWAPPING??!??!!

I ordered the 2011 Solo Headshok for commuting to work and recreation riding. I'm not a noob to riding & trails, but admittedly to maintenance/customizing.

Checking out the Post Your Bad Boy! thread (super sweet!), I have a couple questions....

I see you guys with road tires & fairly big nobbies - how can I find out what tires the Bad Boy can handle?
    Any suggestions if I want to keep two sets of tires (stock for asphalt commuting and something a little heavier for dirt/gravel trails)?
    Will the Lefty fork be a limiting factor or throw the bike out of alignment?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Typically the 700c wheels are kept with skinnier road tires and if you want to use MTB tires with some cush..say 2" or more, you would go with a 26" wheel.

Width doesnt seem so much of an issue with the lefty its the height, a taller mtb 29er tire I think would simply be too tall. If a cross tire would suit you, and they are pretty good IMO I think you should be able to get a 700x38c max on the stock tires and clear the fork.

Schwalbe Marathon Cross are pretty great, roll extremely well on the road, surprisingly well and surprisingly silent and also pretty great on gravel, fire roads, dry to damp trails..It wouldnt be a good solution if you bash about on techinical terrain tho, it just doesnt have the cush (tall profile and high air volume) ideal for that, otherwise I think it's a phenominal tire. Also the Schawalbe Marathon Extreme can be had at 700x35c if the 38c is wider/taller than you want. Also a great tire.

I mention these tires in particular only because these are ones I have experience with and think they are awesome. No doubt there are scores of other out there, and hopefully others will chime in with their suggestions.

Not sure what you are asking regarding the lefty being a limiting factor or throwing bike out of alignment tho..If you are asking at all if the bike tracks to the left at all, the answer is "no", straight as an arrow. Do, "look ma, no hands!" all day long...If you mean something else, please clarify..