mtbr member
    Mar 2010

bad boy as a mtb

Hi All...need some good advice.
    Does anyone have any experience with putting 26" wheels on a bad boy ultra (2009 - head shock model) and taking it off road? How capable would it be as a mtb?
    -MB

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well, it IS a mountain bike aside from the wheels and the gearing, so I imagine rather well

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thx... I know they market it as both, but would the head shock work just as well as the fork shocks?
    Has anyone done this with their bb?

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    well I run a furio frame with an 80mm headshock off road. its fine.
    The BB IS A MTB .

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi,

Did it myself - bought a set of Mavic Crosstrails and a new cassette, got rid of the cable disc-brakes and i was good to go.

Also got myself a head-shok pump to make sure I was at the right pressure as i can go 2 months or more between off-road rides.

Rides well and I love it!

Conor

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thanks Conor, why did you get rid of the disc brakes?
    Also, do you switch out the wheel sets when you want to go back on the road? If so, how easy is that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Pictures please!
    --------------------------------
    Single Rigid Surly KM

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Mbenjamin,

The cable brakes were perfectly fine for road riding and around town but on when offroad I found I was having to adjust them too much between rides to get them 'just right'. Even during longer rides I had to fiddle with them - especially to get them anywhere near the feel of hydraulics.

I wanted XTs but went with Deore in the end as I got a great deal from my LBS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    czechs, got it...my bb comes with avid juicy 3, which is hydraulic.
    Let me ask another question...Crosstrails plus cassette, etc will run about $650 or so. Do you think i should spend or throw in a few hundred more and pick up a really good "used" mtb...say a Stump Jumper, etc...?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ouch,

Thats a v tough question...... I have to say, i love having the two sets of wheels for the same bike, and the Caffeine (Bad Boy) frame is a great frame. But living in Ireland, I have no feeling for what $650 wouldget you for a used MTB in the US.

I would have to defer to other posters who might have more experience!

Good luck

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mbenjamin
    czechs, got it...my bb comes with avid juicy 3, which is hydraulic.
    Let me ask another question...Crosstrails plus cassette, etc will run about $650 or so. Do you think i should spend or throw in a few hundred more and pick up a really good "used" mtb...say a Stump Jumper, etc...?
    No, you should throw in a few hundred more and buy a "really good" used MTB like a Rize or RZ120.

Personally i don't use my BB as an MTB , only on carriage trials and rail trials.