mtbr member
    May 2007

Smile Bad Boy for a 20 mile round commute?

Hiya, my main bike is a Spesh Enduro so I'm looking for something a bit faster, lighter and less bouncy.

The cheap Bad Boys (650 or 700) are currently my top option but I'm having trouble finding any opinions on them anywhere. Does anyone know the approximate weight of these models and how they'd compare to simply buying a normal MTB model and putting slicks on (like an F400 or something).

I did consider a proper commuting model or road bike but a lot of the riding around here is quite rural, followed by a tight town in which I'd like the extra control that I'm used to.

mtbr member
    I ride a 2006 Bad Boy Ultra. Size XL. It's 24.9 lbs. I love mine; wouldn't trade it for anything.

The non-Ultras use a cheaper and heavier frame, just FYI.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ah thanks, heavier than I thought oddly, I thought 22-23lb was quoted for Ultras, maybe I'm thinking of the Rigid 8. The 650/700 have a rigid fork on which I guess will lighten them a bit, I do love the understated subtle design, looks very cool but probably wouldn't be the first target for a thief.

I'd narrowed it down to a ZUM or Bad Boy, both seem quite hard to find reviews on, the few I've heard love the Bad Boy though.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    I had a bad boy. It was the best commuter ever (not to mention the originator of the all black mtn hybrid). They are a hot item right now. I put it on ebay after using it for 2 years and got more than I paid for it. Sweet.

mtbr member
    i remember looking at a bad boy, but the shop guys said it was basically an f series with road wheels and tires.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This years model seems to have a slightly different frame to previous models, it also looks like it might not be quite so different on higher models?

Cannondale 700 - Frame: Bad Boy Rigid Disc 7005 t-6 tig welded Aluminium alloy frame with SI cablerouting
    Cannondale Ultra - Frame: Bad Boy Headshok Disc Ecc 7005 t-6 tig welded Aluminium alloy frame with SI cablerouting

Obvious fork differences but I'm not sure the weight would be any worse on lower models this year? It certainly isn't listed as a Furio X anywhere that I can find like last years was.

My Dog eats poo
    May 2007
    I had a Bad Boy Ultra for commuting duties when I lived in London (UK). Twas the most bestest bike I had. Jumped it off gutters every day. Got knocked off it by a bus, ran into a car and stacked it so many times in the snow I've forgotten and only had one shitty day when some tosser threw down a heap of staples and I got 2 flats.... also sold it on ebay for the price I paid for it. Never once serviced it in 5000miles .
    Thouroughly recommend one

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn
    .....was basically an f series with road wheels and tires.
    The badboy would be some kind of 29er ?

mtbr member
    The badboy would be some kind of 29er ?
    theres just enough clearance to hold thin road tires on the 700c wheels on the bad boy. according to the lbs, this is also true for the f series. you would need 26 inches for wider knobbies. again, just going by what i was told.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ahh, I didn't know the US/Euro models were different, it was the Euro models I was going by with the new style frames, better or worse I'm not sure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn
    theres just enough clearance to hold thin road tires on the 700c wheels on the bad boy. according to the lbs, this is also true for the f series. you would need 26 inches for wider knobbies. again, just going by what i was told.
    Correctomundo!