Ride Fast

New question here. Avid Juciy Ultimate, Shimano XTR, Magura Marta SL, or Formula Puro for my scalpel?

I wanted to upgrade my brakes from Juicy 5's but then I was faced with the question whether to get Avid Juicy Ultimates, Shimano XTR's, Magura Marta SL's or Formula Puro's. I did some research, but I still couldn't decide.

So, should I get Avid Juicy Ultimates,Shimano XTR's, Magura Marta SL's, or Formula Puro's?
    Last edited by Jakobie; 08-23-2007 at 09:03 AM.

LA CHÈVRE
    I'll probably be putting those on mine... light, reliable, strong, modulate well, Italian but expensive...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Ride Fast
    Awesome. I forgot all about Formula Brakes. Those are nice. How much do they cost?

Now I'm considering getting those.

LA CHÈVRE
    Around 300$ a hand... But they are one step above most others. With bigger rotors, they are strong enough to downhill yet they are in the same weight range as Marta SLs and Ultimates. With all the troubles with Juicy 7 and many friends swearing they will never touch Avid brakes again, I pretty much took the Ultimates off my list. Martas are good but I would say a bit below the Puros yet they are as expensive and some report they need frequent re-bleedings.

mtbr member
    I have a set of the Formula Oro K18s and love them! I have test ridden some older Shimano hydros and Shimano XT dual control hydros and these are a definite improvement.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

italian globetrotter
    Aug 2006

Smile formula fullstop! :D

get formulas, bleeding kit and you don't need brakes for a wile!

i got those nice brakes and they are powerful and modulable.when i try others i cannot fin anything similar.

i suggest k24 as good compromise weight -cost
    then the braking point regulation is very useful for me( k18 has not it)

oro puro (dangerous pictures) is better in real life than on the pictures!
    it comes with kevlar tubes and ti hardware. I find less powerful of k24 and the carbon lever are a bit flexy

orobianco?? that luxus !! i never saw one....

ciao

LA CHÈVRE
    The Puros are probably less powerfull because they have organic pads on alloy backplates, other Formula brakes have either metallic or semi-metallic pads but they are all interchangable, as are the levers.

Ride Fast
    Yea, what about Avid Juicy Ultimates and Magura Marta SL's and Shimano XTR? Are they any good?
    Last edited by Jakobie; 08-23-2007 at 11:46 AM.

italian globetrotter
    Aug 2006

just feel the italian style

well i suggest you to go to the shop and feel the formula lever even standing still when you reach the touch point. The leverage is great!
    XRT and marta have a direct connection with the master piston, so when you get the point you are directly on the lever to get leverage and you feel a kind of stop.

Levers are great enginnnering and you feel that when you ride.
    As Mech eng. I can just criticize that the slave cylinders ( to say the ones on the disk) are in two pieces and i think they are not the best design i have seen. Marta and xtr are much better. hope they willl improve this!!

But at the end i prefer the great feelings of formula.ii read about formula on this forum and i am happy with it!

ciao

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Around 300$ a hand... But they are one step above most others. With bigger rotors, they are strong enough to downhill yet they are in the same weight range as Marta SLs and Ultimates. With all the troubles with Juicy 7 and many friends swearing they will never touch Avid brakes again, I pretty much took the Ultimates off my list. Martas are good but I would say a bit below the Puros yet they are as expensive and some report they need frequent re-bleedings.
    FWIW, I haven't bled mine in 1.5 years. I haven't done anything other than change the pads occasionally. I say they work super, although the only other disc brakes I have had are the XT.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    hi, I am a new boy on this site, seems vast, so forgive me if this has already been answered. Does any one know (I have the oro puro brakes) why mine have suddenly (the front) gone loose on the lever. In other words you have to pull the lever in to max distance to get them to work at all, they were fine a day ago, do you think an air bubble may have got in?
    thanks all.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamfocal
    hi, I am a new boy on this site, seems vast, so forgive me if this has already been answered. Does any one know (I have the oro puro brakes) why mine have suddenly (the front) gone loose on the lever. In other words you have to pull the lever in to max distance to get them to work at all, they were fine a day ago, do you think an air bubble may have got in?
    thanks all.
    Since it happened suddenly, see if you didn't hit the FCS lever by accident, then check for leaks. If that's all good, a bleed might be needed...

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Hey Gramfocal,

If your lever goes to the bar, it is most likely that you have air in your system and a correct bleed should fix your problem.

Be sure to check how much material is left on your pads, as oftentimes, the air in the system issue comes to light after a descent amount of pad wear. The air bubble is situated at the top of the reservoir, so as your pads wear and the fluid in the reservoir moves into your line to compensate for the wear, the fluid level lowers and you have more of a chance to introduce air into the line.

If your pads look good, contact me in the office and I will run you through a bleed process which is quicker and easier than doing a complete bleed.

Cheers,

Chris Costello
    Formula Brake USA

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Formula brakes

I've never heard of Formula brakes (in UK) I'm quite happy with my Hayes BUT if I do need new brakes I shall seriously search out this brand. What exceptional customer service! You deserve to suceed.

Ride Fast

New question here. Still....

Quote Originally Posted by Formula Brake USA
    Hey Gramfocal,

If your lever goes to the bar, it is most likely that you have air in your system and a correct bleed should fix your problem.

Be sure to check how much material is left on your pads, as oftentimes, the air in the system issue comes to light after a descent amount of pad wear. The air bubble is situated at the top of the reservoir, so as your pads wear and the fluid in the reservoir moves into your line to compensate for the wear, the fluid level lowers and you have more of a chance to introduce air into the line.

If your pads look good, contact me in the office and I will run you through a bleed process which is quicker and easier than doing a complete bleed.

Cheers,

Chris Costello
    Formula Brake USA
    Nice customer service. I'm probably going to get Formula Brakes because of the awesome costumer service and because everybody seems to love these brakes. Still, are the others any good?

P.S. None of which are as near as good a Formula Puro's.

LA CHÈVRE
    It's not that the others are not good, they are good, along with Shimanos and Hopes, it's just that the Formulas are really good, in a class of their own...

OK Chris, where's my free set?

mad aussie
    Another vote for the Formulas. The best hydraulics I have used and I have had Hope/Hayes/Shimano/Magura. The power these brakes have never cease to amaze me, I think the 140 rear/160 front is more than enough for cross country.
    If you do get them make sure you get the sintered pads for wet conditions because the standards will squeal like a city boy in redneck territory and wear down pretty quickly.

Kevin

Ride Fast
    I get it. Formula Brakes are "crazy awesome." What about Avid Juicy Ultimates? I heard some good things about them, but on the other hand I heard all sorts of crap about them too. So, are they good or bad?

italian globetrotter
    Aug 2006

fast beed

dear chris,

can you teach us this kind of fast blleding?/
    thanks

Ride Fast
    Well thanks guys, I be getting formula brakes now. They sound good, and there light.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have XTR2007 brakes on my scalpel, and do not find them as good as my previous XTR2003 disk brakes.

I am evaluating to move to Formula Oro Puro

Regards,
    Ron

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well, i'm a latecomer to the party, but get formulas. i have some oro 24s and a pair of freerides and love both, though the 24 are prob the nicest. my bro has some 18s and love those as well. can't tell you anything about the other brakes, but i prefer formulas. so did i mention it, get the formulas. oh well, when you already have decided on the formulas..