mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Anyway to shorten a lefty? Steepen the head angle

I'm considering a 2009 F29. But i'm a little worried it might not handle quick enough. Is there anyway to limit the SL lefty so it's shorter axle to crown. Just enough so it will not bottom out on the tire, keep the 80mm of travel, quicken it up a tad. 5mm? I don't want the BB too low either. I do like a low bar/front end height.

I know this sounds kinda silly but i was just tossing the idea around. I still plan on picking one up with a BB30 either way, just like to now if it's possible.

LA CHÈVRE
    Just let the bearings migrate a bit!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mad aussie
    There isnt any way to shorten the Lefty without losing travel. The Lefty has more offset than most conventional forks (Gary Fisher G2 excepted) and is far stiffer so Cannondales always handle faster than the geometry suggests.
    To get the bars down you can go to a negative rise stem and a flat bar, Syntace makes a good flat bar with the width and sweep of a riser.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    true on the bearing migration.

I have a scalpel now which has very fast steering. 70 degree head tube, but the 45mm rake does speed things up a bit. I just love the lefty and think i'm going to love 29ers so the F29 seems to be the way to go. BB30!! woo woo

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Test one before you commit. I'm 5'10" with a 32 inch inseam and cannot get my handlebars low enough using a -20 degree stem and a flat bar on an 08 frame. I do like my handlebars low for racing--currently about a 2-centimeter drop--I'd prefer another 2 or 3. The BB is very low, slightly less than 12 inches with Stan's 355's/Crossmarks before I sit on it. Granted, it's very stable, but it wouldn't be noticeably less so with a 2-cm higher BB, and pedaling through technical terrain would be so much easier.

Edit: 29er's are awesome, but not the end all that some people would suggest. Also, I wouldn't call the handling on my 29er slow, but it's certainly not nervous. About as good as a hardtail can be on technical descents. I've found I've had to shift my weight a bit more forward than I would on a 26" bike when weighting the front wheel in to turns. It was somewhat nerve-wracking at first in the steep stuff, but I realized I could do it safely with the relatively slack HTA and the big wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    perioeci, thanks for the measurments. i will compare that BB heigh to my scalpel, which has stans 355 w/crossmaxs also. I'm 6'1" with a 34 inseam, so my seat height will be a tad higher so i'll have a little more drop. I'll measure my scalpel's drop as well.

I too noticed i had to weight the front tire more on my scalpel then i was 1st comfortable with to stick it in turns.

Any confrimation on the build spec for the 2009 top level F29?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortechcoupe
    I'm 6'1" with a 34 inseam ...
    Yeah, I think you'd be fine then.

F29 SS owners: what's the height of the Eccentric BB (taking into account your particular tires) in the 12-o'clock position? I'm considering either picking up a SS frame or getting one of these.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortechcoupe
    perioeci, thanks for the measurments. i will compare that BB heigh to my scalpel, which has stans 355 w/crossmaxs also. I'm 6'1" with a 34 inseam, so my seat height will be a tad higher so i'll have a little more drop. I'll measure my scalpel's drop as well.

I too noticed i had to weight the front tire more on my scalpel then i was 1st comfortable with to stick it in turns.

Any confrimation on the build spec for the 2009 top level F29?
    Not sure if the us spec is different to the kiwi, but off the top of my head, XT brakes and shifters, XTR shadow rr Dr, Stans rims, Ringle Dirty Flea rear hub, carbon Lefty, BB30 fsa cranks, truvativ stylo WC bars, Conti Mountain King tires

I'll be changing the shifters and the rings on mine. Supposed to have in the next 3-4 weeks (supposed too)

Members who have read this thread: 0