mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Anyone using Proj.321 hubs/wheel sets?

any feedback on Project 321 would be appreciated, lookin to build up a set of wheels and don't know of many who make lefty hubs aside from these guys.

no reviews.....

who's got pics of their 321 gear????? load em up!
    Last edited by Traveler2; 11-21-2011 at 03:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    i've got four active sets and so far they've been bombproof. I recently had a set of custom 29er wheels built with a Project321 SS hub and it's been perfect as well. Also awaiting(shipped yesterday) a new set of enve 29er XC UST wheels built with the new rear 321 geared hub and lefty hub. They use I9 internals so you know there's quality there. I don't think you'll regret going with them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    thank you sir. you may consider adding a review as there's none for Proj 321 that I found.

do you feel the pricing on their Arch wheelset/w hubs is justified then??

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well, as like what jbbikerider said, you canít really go wrong with Project 321, they are very upfront with everything and will help you where they can. Do a search on them and you will find some treads on their front hub.

Although I have only recently got the wheelset built with Crest wheels from their Australian distributor (rlcsports; thanks for the great service Aiden) and have to say that they on par with all the other top shelf hubs and wheelsets out in the market. From looking at their design and fabrication, you know that they have put in a considerable amount of effort to make sure that hubs are at the best that they can be.

The only one fault/comment i can raise about Project 321 hub is that their front hub is designed like all other lefty front hubs; the bigger bearing on the hub is exposed to the environment, which means that if the bearing seals are bad or is made of non stainless bearings, it will crap-out when exposed to moisture over time (it part of the lefty design, so donít lose sleep over it). Apart from that their rear hub system is the same as Industry9 which goes to say that is the one of the best in the market.

So all in all, they are amongst the best you can get in the market. As for price wise, they are pretty reasonable considering the price that you will have to pay for a normal spoked Industry9 wheelset. If you want more info do contact Pumpkinbiter from Project321.

Shaun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone using Proj.321 hubs/wheel sets?-img_4899.jpg  

Anyone using Proj.321 hubs/wheel sets?-img_4900.jpg  

Anyone using Proj.321 hubs/wheel sets?-img_4901.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I busted mine hard today on my Flash carbon 29er and they flat out our the best wheels I've owned. Yes there on the Enve carbon rim but if you haven't tried a pair then your missing out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    have you considered frm as an alternative?

i used the carbon front hub for a couple of years with no problems at all. the only slightly annoying aspect is that the bolt is not captive as on most other lefty hubs and can be dropped when you are changing wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    jbbikerider, I am envious of your enve, I could imagine it being stiffer, but those rims are way over my price point. As i am only about 137lbs, the Crest rims should be ok; in my case, the spokes would probably play a bigger part then the rim. I will wait and see how the rim hold up in the next few months.

Havent tried the FRM, I am sure they will be light, as most european products are but with the project321 wheelset you are compromising some weight for some strength benefit as well as engagement (rear hub). It is really horses for courses. If you are going to ride a very flowy trail, standard engagement hub will do the job, but if you are going ride through rough lose rocky condition, you may want compromise a bit of weight for a hub that has a fast engagement that lets you put the power down when you slip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunW View Post
    jbbikerider, I am envious of your enve, I could imagine it being stiffer, but those rims are way over my price point. As i am only about 137lbs, the Crest rims should be ok; in my case, the spokes would probably play a bigger part then the rim. I will wait and see how the rim hold up in the next few months.

Havent tried the FRM, I am sure they will be light, as most european products are but with the project321 wheelset you are compromising some weight for some strength benefit as well as engagement (rear hub). It is really horses for courses. If you are going to ride a very flowy trail, standard engagement hub will do the job, but if you are going ride through rough lose rocky condition, you may want compromise a bit of weight for a hub that has a fast engagement that lets you put the power down when you slip.
    Hi Shawn,
    i'm really excited to get my hands on the Enve UST wheels. Seems UPS is taking forever but their coming from New york state so a couple more days to wait. I have a set of Crest rims and the Project321 rear SS hub and lefty front and they've been fantastic. i'm running them on my black Sheep and they've been bomb proof so far. I also think it's really important to have the wheels built by a professional. Eric Gottsman of Ergott wheels is my wheel builder and I can't say enough good thngs about his wheels. He is a true prefessional wheel builder.

Be well.

Livin' the Dream
    What's the noise like of the 321 rear hub?
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler2 View Post
    do you feel the pricing on their Arch wheelset/w hubs is justified then??
    Their website doesn't show them but the new ArchEX rims are also an option. I placed an order for a wheelset last week using them. Last I heard the new ArchEX should be in sometime this week. If you order select the Arch rims from the drop down menu and then make a note on your order to use the ArchEX instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    In my final days of deciding between P321s and dt 240s for my carbon light-bikes rims that just shipped. Anyone have rear hub failure with P321s?
    Thx!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have been riding my P321's with ArchEX for a little over a week now. Great wheelset and the hub is really nice as well.

Tubeless with RaRa SS tires sealed up with little effort. I used a floor pump to set them up.

mtbr member
    I have P321 hubs on Enve wheels. They are amazing. 120 engagement points, 3 degrees. They use Industry Nine innards on the rear hubs. They are a bit loud for my taste, but it fades into the background quickly as you get used to it.

Customer service wise, Jake at P321 is the best. He's responsive and engaged; I'm not sure how he finds the time to take care of everyone and still build such great stuff.

www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    I have P321 hubs on Enve wheels. They are amazing. 120 engagement points, 3 degrees. They use Industry Nine innards on the rear hubs. They are a bit loud for my taste, but it fades into the background quickly as you get used to it.

Customer service wise, Jake at P321 is the best. He's responsive and engaged; I'm not sure how he finds the time to take care of everyone and still build such great stuff.

Those wheels are amazing! How much do they weigh?
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    I think the front was just under 700g and the rear around 910 or something without cassettes/axles or rotors. I have the numbers at home and will update if I was too far off.

Edit: Front: 670, Rear: 910
    Last edited by skiahh; 05-08-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany