Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone using anything other then a Fox RP3/23 on their Rushes ?

Sorry , Radium's don't count
    Just curious if anything in the aftermarket works well or better on the Rush .

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have a Rush 4 with an RP2 (same as RP23 w/o the PP adjust). I tried a Rush 3 with the RP23 and felt exactly the same when PP was disengaged. I didn't mess with the PP settings, but to be quite honest I only ever use PP on fire roads or pavement. RP2 isn't available aftermarket though, so this probably won't help you there. The RP23 is definitely a great choice though if you are looking to buy a new shock.

mtbr member
    You have a RP2 on your Rush
    You mean RP3 , correct ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I believe in European models they have this RP2 shock, but don't know how it works tough

mad aussie
    RP2 is OEM only, at least in the US, and I know its specced on a few models.

mtbr member
    O.K. I'll bite .
    What is an RP2 and how does it differ from an RP3 ?????

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You can adjust the propedal damping on the RP3 and RP23. You still have propedal on the RP2, but there is no adjusting the firmness of the propedal. Otherwise they are identical. Its really irrelevant because the RP2 is not available aftermarket, it is only an OE item.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy
    Sorry , Radium's don't count
    Just curious if anything in the aftermarket works well or better on the Rush .
    Isn't the shock on the rush an odd size? Are there aftermarket shocks in the size?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yeah you can get certain shocks aftermarket that fit the rush...i.e. RP23. Apparently the 7.5 length, 1.75" stroke is not quite normal though so there arent many.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hi,
    Back to the original question: My wife is using a 06er swinger 3 way and a 5th element air on her rush. I have reduced both shocks in travel from 51mm to 45mm. She wasnt very happy with the performance of all the Fox shocks she tried. It was pimarily the lack of the overall ballance of the bike she was missing. As she described the rear end wasnt as fast tracking as the lefty. She has been riding both shocks for about 2000miles now and is very happy.
    So long cw

mnt bike laws of physics

Manitou vs. Fox

I just got back from a race at Angel Fire NM and a big reason I went there was to test ride the XL Carbon Rush. Besides having to compensate for the lower bottom bracket, my only complaint I had with it was the Fox shock. I told the mechanic that when I get mine in a few weeks that I am putting a Manitou S-Type SPV on it as soon as I can save some dough.
    I have a Prophet now with this shock and it rocks!! You never have to touch it, and a you can run it with less sag and still use all of its travel which for the Rush will be a very good thing because it will raise the BB a bit.
    It mainly shows its stuff on technical climbs. It just eats it up and there is very little bobbing.
    By the way, the Carbon Rush was faster all around than my Prophet. It railed the downhills in an almost unbelievable fashion. I couldn't go faster if I was dreaming it...
    The only place my prophet is faster is through rock gardens where the higher bottom bracket allowed me to keep pedalling and maintain momentum.
    Hope this helps at all

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cwrender
    Hi,
    Back to the original question: I have reduced both shocks in travel from 51mm to 45mm.
    So long cw
    When you say reduced. Did you do it yourself? Do you have the manufacturer do it? If so how much did it cost?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but how does one go about reducing the travel on the longer stroke shocks. I would love to try the Swinger 3 way on my Rush, but the stroke length obviously doesn't match up. How can this be done without damaging things or screwing with the geometry?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    sorry for a non post answering reply, but thanks for the thoughts on float vs manitou. i agree and that settles it. my rp3 is for sale and i'm keeping my three way swinger.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by dawkins20
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but how does one go about reducing the travel on the longer stroke shocks. I would love to try the Swinger 3 way on my Rush, but the stroke length obviously doesn't match up. How can this be done without damaging things or screwing with the geometry?
    I'm running one on my carbon. If you have the alloy version, the longer stroke will not be a problem. I, on the other hand am taking a chance, because on the carbon version, the upper shock mount(where the frame meets the shock) is sticking way out with carbon. The aluminum version, which has a mount like my prophet, will not be a problem at all with the shock coming into contact with it if the shock does happen to bottom out.

I like to ride my bike.
    Yogi...what size Manitou did you put on? I just sold my Swinger 3-Way that was a 7.5 x 2.0....

I hate the feel of my Fox, which makes the rest of the bike feel bad. I'd be interested on putting a SLR on it.
    -Thanks
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mnt bike laws of physics

7.5" x 2.0" (190mm x 50mm)

it does feel much better!!

I like to ride my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    it does feel much better!!
    That's the size Manitou I just sold.
    Oh well.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So what exactly has to be done to change from the stock fox Float to the swinger? I assume new bushings whould be needed. Where are these available?

Also, what tire are you running with this change. I want to get a set of 2.3 tires, but am concerned that with the increased travel they would hit the seatt ube. Any cause for concern here?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Bump here for any advice

Also I picked up a set of Nevegal 2.35 tires which are pretty darm big, so I wonder if clearance would be a problem with the 2.0 stroke shock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So, what would be the theoretical problem with running a 7.5x2" shock and hitting the frame? The eye-eye is the same, and the stroke will bottom out at the same spot, so why would the canister do any damage to the frame?

Also, has anyone PUSH'd their Rush RP23's? It seems like a logical choice, unless the PUSH upgrade doesn't do much for this particular frame.

I like to ride my bike.
    So, it sounds like a 7.5 x 2.0 will not change the geometry, but simply give the bike more travel...correct?

If one wanted to make the bike feel "faster," but have equal travel at both ends....could this be achieved through a 80-90mm fork and a 6.5 x 1.5 shock? Would this be risky...(lower BB, risk tire hitting seatube...????) At a race recently, I saw a expert racer with a carbon Rush w/a Reba WC 100mm and a Rockshox MC 3.3 on the rear. I REALLY regret not asking him about what size rear shock it was and how it affected handling.

This thread needs more info.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I run a 7.5x2" (190x50mm) RP3 on my Rush.
    With 2.1" tires, there is still plenty of clearance on the seat tube at full compression. 2.3s might be pushing it though.......

mtbr member
    Sorry to bring back an old thread. I am looking to pick up a RP23 for my Turner RFX and saw a couple of these shock for sale off of C'dale Rush.

One is advertised as 7.5x2, while the other is advertised as a 7.5x1.75. From the previous posts in this thread I gather that the stock shock size is 7.5x1.75 but that the 7.5x2 also fits. Is this correct?

What's weird about it is that Fox does not mention the size 7.5x1.75 on their website neither as OEM nor as aftermarket.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    As far as I am aware, the 7.5x1.75 is exactly the same as a 7.5x2, but with a longer bottom-out bumper fitted internally. This is done to limit the travel on the Rush so the tire doesn't hit the seat tube.
    However, if you only use 2.1" tires, you can use a 7.5x2 fine and get an extra 1/2" of travel :P

If you are looking to buy an RP23 which is off a Rush, ask if it is the stock shock, because if it is, it will definitely be a 7.5x1.75 (although, as I mentioned this could probably be converted to a 7.5x2 by changing the internal bottom-out bumper, but I don't know this for sure).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast