Ridin' many miles...

Anyone still using CODA Hydro brakes?

I am, at least on my front.

I've been running the same brakes on the front of my Jekyll since August of 2000. I replaced the rear hydros earlier this season when I severed the hydro line in a high speed crash.

I know these brakes got such a bad rep and were discontinued by C'Dale eventually.

I had few problems with them but when I severed the rear line, I replaced with Avid mechs.

The front is working fantastically still.

Anyone else? Just curious.
    Ride dangerously. Take chances.

mtbr member

nope

tried to like them since they were my first hyros, but no chance. since they almost caused a couple accidents i dumped them asap. avid mechs now and they work great!
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

Lucifer rides an mtb

2000 Jeckyll w/ Coda Expert

I am riding a 2000 Jeckyll (3000SX) which was spec'd with Coda Expert disk brakes.. not sure if they are the same thing you are talking about. Back when I got the bike, there was a lot of negative press about the brakes (mostly vibration "chatter") but I have to say that I have never had a problem with them. This past weekend was the first time I even adjusted them (turned the allen bolt to move one of the pads closer to the caliper. The bike's probably got about 3,500 miles on it (mostly XC).

Ridin' many miles...
    Quote Originally Posted by Big K
    I am riding a 2000 Jeckyll (3000SX) which was spec'd with Coda Expert disk brakes.. not sure if they are the same thing you are talking about. Back when I got the bike, there was a lot of negative press about the brakes (mostly vibration "chatter") but I have to say that I have never had a problem with them. This past weekend was the first time I even adjusted them (turned the allen bolt to move one of the pads closer to the caliper. The bike's probably got about 3,500 miles on it (mostly XC).
    Those are the same ones I'm talking about, but I can't believe that you've never had to adjust the pads before now!! ...And 3,500 miles??!! Does that mean you've never had to replace the pads??? I've been through about 4 or 5 sets (front and rear each)

Although I don't consider it a problem, I've had to adjust the pad position alot either because of pad wear, or air temperature (if it's really cold out, I have to move the pads closer to the rotor). This hardly matters though since it's so simple to do.

3500 miles and no adjustment? C'mon...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

2 sets for free

I have a full set of the original Coda discs and a lot of parts for a set of experts including 4-5 sets of pads and all of the lines and a bottle of fluid. They were given to me, and anyone who wants them can have them for free. You pay the shipping, unless you want to p/u in the Boston area. I may even have a set of rotors, but not sure.

Bob

Lucifer rides an mtb

serious

I'm dead serious... every time I go into my LBS I ask if I am getting close to when I'll need new pads and they tell me no (as recently as two days ago). My riding is mostly XC and I don't need to ride the brakes down steep inclines very often... maybe that explains the difference. I keep asking about the need to replace my chain too... same response: "no". The factory has replaced my spokes (front and back) because a year ago they just started popping for no apparent reason (all on the crank side)... C'dale rep said they had a batch of brittle ones - the new ones they put on for me were beefier and have worked great. Only other parts I have replaced are; 1) bottom bracket (also covered by C'dale based on continuous squeaking problem) 2) rear deraileur (broke it on a rock) and my seat (racing seat was too hard for me). All-in-all, I've been real happy with the bike and feel no upgrade envy... am thinking about adding a bar-mount Lupine Edison light though - starting to get dark earlier here and I am running out of daylight after work.

Ridin' many miles...
    Quote Originally Posted by bob24250
    I have a full set of the original Coda discs and a lot of parts for a set of experts including 4-5 sets of pads and all of the lines and a bottle of fluid. They were given to me, and anyone who wants them can have them for free. You pay the shipping, unless you want to p/u in the Boston area. I may even have a set of rotors, but not sure.

Bob
    I can use them. Can you come up with a shipping estimate and I'll take them off your hands.