Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anyone seen new Cannondale bikes at Races or news clips

Has anyone seen any new bikes at the races that may be on production as 2005 models. Or any news clips etc.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    it's too early in the year but you'll see the new stuff at the upcoming races and at PEDROS festivals. in the past I've seen prototype parts being using by Cannondale engineers at local Connecticut races. interesting stuff sometimes.

mtbr member
    Are they going to stop producing bikes in Bedford, to go to overseas production?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jm03
    Are they going to stop producing bikes in Bedford, to go to overseas production?
    I believe that they are going to continue to produce most stuff in PA...but the comfort bikes and similar stuff may go overseas.

Tom

mtbr member
    I'll stick with them as long as they don't go overseas. Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    What new designs would anyone be expecting, the scalpel is a resonably fresh design, the jekyll was just updated to longer travel, and the gemini was just touched up with the new 12mm axles and made to be more beefy. Plus the hardtails are now updated with the new optimo tubing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am saving up for a team scalpel. But dont think I will make it till Sep 2004. By then the 2005 models should be out.

Cannodale dont stick with their full susp models for long. Is the scalpel going to be replaced for something more radical.

Please dont go back to the Raven days. What was all that about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Jeykll has 5" but does is not strong enough for even light freeride, they break a lot because people see the 5" and assume they can beat the snot out of it...but thats not what the bike was ment for...Something to compete with the Hecker would be a good bike.

The Scapel is ultra light XC race bike but imagine doing a 40 mile or 50 mile race (they have 2 of them around me and they are big in Europe) on only 2.5" inches of travel? Your ass would hate you...especially if it is rocky technincal terrain as there is in the north east...

I have seen a few cool looking bikes with no markings on them at local races (I am only about 30 min from Cannondale). They have some nice stuff up their sleeves...the 2005 bike line should be nice.

Tom

mtbr member
    yea, i like my jekyll, and would love to have the new max, but i would consider buying a bike like the 03' gemini 1000 with the rear air shock, but now the gemini is built for just big hit now. I agree the weight of the scalpel is appealling but i don't think my back would appreciate it. Would love to see some light competition for the heckler with the lefty max

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    but now the gemini is built for just big hit now.
    Probably because there is something coming out to fill the void...

Tom

Are you talking to me?

My Gemini is a match for the Heckler.

A good match for the Bullit, also. In it's current form, it is 31.5 pounds. Lefty max, 5th coil with steel spring, F219's, Thompson post, ML bar, Hayes mags with 8" rotor up front. Not bad for the Gemini platform.

I agree that a frame between the Jekyll and the Gemini is needed.
    gfy

mtbr member
    A jekyll with the x braced top tube would sound about right to me.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

New models

One of the reasons I went for the gemini was that it was made in the USA, I can't see why they will change it, It's a superb frame and works extremely well.

Harmonius Wrench

Marathon Bike

You will see a new "marathon" bike introduced in July .
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Marathon Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    You will see a new "marathon" bike introduced in July .
    Excuse my ignorance but what is a 'marathon' bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    a very light 4-5" travel bike for 50 mile rides.

Tom

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Marathon bike

After having my first cannondale, i can see that it could well be the first of many

mtbr member
    About this new marathon bike you talked about... would that be something like a Jekyl, but lighter? Like a scalpel with more travel?

I'm about to buy a scalpel and don't want to spend $5000 to find there will be a new bike out by Cannondale that as light, but has more travel.

Harmonius Wrench

Um, well...maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by IronBiker
    About this new marathon bike you talked about... would that be something like a Jekyl, but lighter? Like a scalpel with more travel?

I'm about to buy a scalpel and don't want to spend $5000 to find there will be a new bike out by Cannondale that as light, but has more travel.
    If you are serious about dropping that kind of coin, you'd better know which tool your gonna get outta the tool box! The Scalpel is an XC machine- end of story. This will be a marathon bike- read "not freeride". Think 24hr races and the like. Long point to point races, Or just all day epics. I don't see any overlap between what the scalpel does, and what this new bike is meant for. If you were seriously considering a Scalpel- you should get that, as this new rig is not an all out XC weapon, ala the Scalpel. Here's an idea- get both! You never can have enough bikes, ya know!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    They are both very light bikes not ment for abuse...the extra travel is not for more abuse...just a less sore ass on long rides...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Church
    They are both very light bikes not ment for abuse...the extra travel is not for more abuse...just a less sore ass on long rides...
    I was at my lbs and heard that Cannondale rep mentioned a new bike for 2005 that may replace the Jekyll. However, he did say it has been one of their most popular bikes world wide for the last 4 years.

I recently purchased one despite the fact that a new bike might come out. First year models are exciting, but they are like dating a stranger- who knows what kind of weird problems your are going to face? Hence, I stayed clear of the GF Cake and the Yeti 575- both very nice bikes, but haven't been around long enough for me to make that type of commitment.

I am also very impressed as to how civil the people on the Cannondale link are. Check out the Ellsworth gang, they are killing each other

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungadin
    I was at my lbs and heard that Cannondale rep mentioned a new bike for 2005 that may replace the Jekyll. However, he did say it has been one of their most popular bikes world wide for the last 4 years.

I recently purchased one despite the fact that a new bike might come out. First year models are exciting, but they are like dating a stranger- who knows what kind of weird problems your are going to face? Hence, I stayed clear of the GF Cake and the Yeti 575- both very nice bikes, but haven't been around long enough for me to make that type of commitment.

I am also very impressed as to how civil the people on the Cannondale link are. Check out the Ellsworth gang, they are killing each other
    Just to clarify- the Cannondale rep said that the Jekyll has been one of their most popular bikes.

mtbr member
    If you paid 2000 dollars for a frame and it was prone to breaking, you'd be upset too so don't come down too hard on them for fighting. I personally hope it's a little burlier than the jekyll, did the rep say anything in regard to that?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jm03
    If you paid 2000 dollars for a frame and it was prone to breaking, you'd be upset too so don't come down too hard on them for fighting. I personally hope it's a little burlier than the jekyll, did the rep say anything in regard to that?
    I may have misunderstood him, but I thought the new bike was going to be in between the scalpel and the jekyll rather than the jekyll and the gemini. The discussion revolved around the trend for bikes that had longer travel, that were lighter and greater efficiency.

In my opinion they should focus more on getting lighter handle bars, cranks, shocks etc... and not try to make light and fragile frames. A great deal of bike shops push ultra light frames from the manufacturer that is giving them the greatest sales insentives despite the fact that they snap like twigs. This is done with the assurance of great warranties. Having a frame replaced is still a major inconvenience.

The bottom line is to purchase a bike for the intended use and keeping in mind one's weight (Don't get a XC bike and do drops). Here in Nevada I know guys that weigh under 180 that have been doing sick drops on Jekylls for years.

I realize that I have completely gone beyond the scope of this thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have heard that there will be both a Light XC long travel bike for Marathon riding and a lighter Gemini that will be between the Jykell and the Gemini.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast