Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone ride the 2011 scalpel yet?

Wondering what you think and also comparison between 2011 and current scalpel

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by guvna
    I can't compare to the 2010 but I rode the 2011 at Park City and it was ultra responsive and quick in all ways. It climbed well and stopped well, the remote lockout for the Lefty was a useful addition. It was too fast for me personally but I enjoyed the ride better after I learnt to stay off the brakes as much as possible.

Its a pure racing machine without a doubt.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    One thing about the Scalpel that is still going to be true is that it's an almost zero stiction dually bike. I noticed this the other day when I was cruising downhill at 30 or so mph. Because there is basically no drag in the suspension components, relative to other XC race bikes, the suppleness and small bump compliance of the Scalpel is unmatchable. That means with the right tire pressures you can have more grip than with ANY other bike. That should still hold true in 2011.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Anyone know if you can fit a 2.25 tire in the rear?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guvna
    Its been a while since I have ridden the current one, but the 2011 is pretty sick. I rode it back in July and Cannondale has done it again. The bike is super light and responsive. I rode the ultimate (team) model with the XLR Lefty, DT carbon wheels, XX...etc. I think the 80mm of travel is better for this bike because the rear end is stiffer is the right places. The ride is similar to the Scalpel 100, from what I remember, but this bike is much stiffer in the bottom bracket and in the rear end.

The lefty lockout is similar to the current lockout function wise, but the XLR is sick, the ability to lockout without moving anything but your thumb is pretty cool.

(Dont mind the not tightened steerer.)

mtbr member
    I heard that the rear susp is a more usable [@ 80 mm] travel because of what they have done to the flex stays. A [lighter] rider would not use the full travel of the scalpel 100. Sounds like they have changed the flex of the chain stays[ maybe size specific]. I also heard that the lateral flex is way stiffer.

mtbr member
    The 2011 scalpel 3 is a wicked looking bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Looked at it, touched it, picked it up, spoke about it

Allowed to ride it

Roland

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I certainly hope that they have resolved the chainstay cracking problem.

Broke my 2nd Scalpel and waiting for warranty replacement... Hope I get 2011 model as replacement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have a scalpel 2006 team bike. I LOVE the rear end as the non pivot stays make the bike feel like it has double the travel it has.

Am I correct in saying the 2011 ultimate would be night and day better than the 2006 team?

I was always an aluminium man - basically due to the thinking that aluminium was stiffer. Is the latest scalpel marginally stiffer than the old alloy frames or MUCH stiffer?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've got about 60 miles on the 2011 now and coming from the 2010 Scalpel, I can tell a difference in the overall lateral rigidity of the bike. It seems to be more stable at speed.

The new rear shock (RockShox RT3) has a 3 position lever that goes from full open to almost full lockout. The decrease in travel from 100mm to 80mm isn't noticeable at all. In fact, an informed insider told me that 100mm on the previous Scalpel was wishful thinking and in practicality it was more like 90-ish.

The new cable routing is much better as you don't have the rear cables riding up above the shock under the top tube. There are also guides present for a future remote rear lockout. All cables run down the down tube so although they are at risk of getting pegged by rocks and such, they will protect the carbon from some impact

The horizontal top tube length for the 2011 appears to be 0.6 inches shorter, so the setback FSA post made this adjustment easier.

Cosmetically, the frame has some dark grey graphics on the front of the frame on the head tube and into the top and down tubes which is actually pretty cool. The team sponsor decals on the rear stays are now clearcoated as well.

The wheels are pretty stiff. The owner's manual states they are not to be used with a tubeless kit or tires, but a band of Stan's tape and a rim strip have them sealed well. Included were the DT Swiss RWS skewer and the centerlock to 6 bolt adapter so the XX rear rotor can now be used. Front hub is now made by DT Swiss.

I think that about does it....overall I think it's an improvement over the previous generation as it's lighter and stiffer. The potential negatives of reduced travel at both ends is not a factor at all and not noticeable as the bike seems more stable overall.

Mine weighs 19.04 lbs with 4ti eggs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ride the 2011 scalpel yet?-2011scalpel2.jpg  

Anyone ride the 2011 scalpel yet?-2011scalpel6.jpg  

Anyone ride the 2011 scalpel yet?-2011scalpel5.jpg  

Anyone ride the 2011 scalpel yet?-2011scalpel3.jpg  

Anyone ride the 2011 scalpel yet?-2011scalpel4.jpg  

Last edited by trauma-md; 10-05-2010 at 06:55 PM.

mtbr member
    that looks awesome... im fighting ordering one to replace my rush and its getting harder and harder!

mtbr member
    What a monster of bike,congrats ,i have to sale mine 2009 nowwwwwww.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md
    I've got about 60 miles on the 2011 now and coming from the 2010 Scalpel, I can tell a difference in the overall lateral rigidity of the bike. It seems to be more stable at speed.

The new rear shock (RockShox RT3) has a 3 position lever that goes from full open to full lockout. The decrease in travel from 100mm to 80mm isn't noticeable at all. In fact, an informed insider told me that 100mm on the previous Scalpel was wishful thinking and in practicality it was more like 90-ish.

The new cable routing is much better as you don't have the rear cables riding up above the shock under the top tube. There are also guides present for a future remote rear lockout. All cables run down the down tube so although they are at risk of getting pegged by rocks and such, they will protect the carbon from some impact

The horizontal top tube length for the 2011 appears to be 0.6 inches shorter, so the setback FSA post made this adjustment easier.

Cosmetically, the frame has some dark grey graphics on the front of the frame on the head tube and into the top and down tubes which is actually pretty cool. The team sponsor decals on the rear stays are now clearcoated as well.

The wheels are pretty stiff. The owner's manual states they are not to be used with a tubeless kit or tires, but a band of Stan's tape and a rim strip have them sealed well. Included were the DT Swiss RWS skewer and the centerlock to 6 bolt adapter so the XX rear rotor can now be used. Front hub is now made by DT Swiss.

I think that about does it....overall I think it's an improvement over the previous generation as it's lighter and stiffer. The potential negatives of reduced travel at both ends is not a factor at all and not noticeable as the bike seems more stable overall.

Mine weighs 19.04 lbs with 4ti eggs
    Me... wants...
    And I have two friends in line to buy my 2008...

The DT front hub and the Cannondale look strangely identical, I doubt they're different hubs, one is probably just a rebrand of the other.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Nice rig. Do you think you could fit a 2.25 tire in the back?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Me... wants...
    And I have two friends in line to buy my 2008...

The DT front hub and the Cannondale look strangely identical, I doubt they're different hubs, one is probably just a rebrand of the other.
    It does, but I didnt know Cannondale is still making a 24 hole version. Hmm..

mtbr member
    WOW Trauma, thanks for the awesome report! Sounds like you are loving it and you feel the rear travel feels the same. What is your weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    It does, but I didnt know Cannondale is still making a 24 hole version. Hmm..
    Dan's right, I'm pretty sure it is just Cannondale Lefty 24hole hub with a new sticker on it.

"trauma-md" - Bike looks awesome, very nice indeed . How does the Lefty lockout lever feel?
    Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

FIRENZE rulez !!
    arrived mine , tomorrow going to pick her up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broseph
    Nice rig. Do you think you could fit a 2.25 tire in the back?
    Yeah what he said. Anyone know?
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    These are pictures of the clearances with a Racing Ralph 2.1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ride the 2011 scalpel yet?-img_1951.jpg  

Anyone ride the 2011 scalpel yet?-img_1953.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    It does look like it has a bit of wiggle room. I wonder if a 2.25 racing ralph would fit. That would be a deal breaker if not, considering the short travel.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    maybe 27,5" ready ????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broseph
    It does look like it has a bit of wiggle room. I wonder if a 2.25 racing ralph would fit. That would be a deal breaker if not, considering the short travel.
    Yeah, what he said.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Looks similar to the 2008-10 rear end. Some have no problem running a 2.25... I haven't been that lucky. It definitely fits, it will be a question of how much flex your rear wheel has to force the tire to rub. Maybe with the carbon rims it won't be as noticeable...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast