mtbr member
    May 2007

Anyone Painted Their Old Cdale?

I have this old 93 DeltaV 900. The only thing still original is the frame and its paint. The paint is kind of beat up. I was thinking of getting sanding the scratches and chips smooth, primer the thing, and get some jet black automotive paint, and go at it. I would have to get a cheap spray gun to go on my compressor.

Anyone ever done any repainting? Anything problems, issues, or successes to brag about?

Lastly, can you get another Cannondale decal? (It's not that big a deal, but it just a nice touch)
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Regarding decals:
    Search ebay for "Cannondale Decals".
    You can probably get a whole set less than $5

What color is yours, anyway? Mine has one of those classic two tone fade jobs from back in the day (deep indigo to blue). Even with the scratches, I don't think I'd paint mine - hey, it's vintage/classic bike now, right?
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It's the purple/black combo. It may have that vintage color, but I used it for racing for 3 years or so and rode it a lot. So, it's kind of beat up. I'm selling it to a friend and he mentioned painting it. He is just going to use it for exercise on the road and fire roads.

Thanks for the help with the decals on ebay.

He who follows his heart.
    I got a local sign maker to manufacture decals for my Uber V swing arm - I'll post the pics when I apply them. It might cost a bit more, but at least then one can request specific model/number graphics instead of the general "Cannondale" graphics.

Regarding paint, I plan to sandblast (very gently of course!) my M1000 frame and then get it powder coated. I'm pretty sure one of the regulars in the Super V thread got their frame resprayed - worth a search and a PM surely?

A friend of mine just got a Kawasaki green Delta V frame, and built it up with parts as a fast hybrid. He reckons that the geometry makes it is soooooo fast for road........

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the help, I did not think about powder coating. I will look into that.

I also had someone suggest striping the paint, sanding the scratches out and polish the Al to a decent shine with 2000 gt sand paper or polisher.

Spooooon!
    Be very careful of sanding the frame, the aluminum tubes can be very thin. I used chemical stripper on mine and then just repainted from there. Don't forget to use the special aluminum primer. If I did it again . . . I wouldn't. Too much work.

mtbr member
    just curious, after you paint, what clear coat protects the paint from chips? I primered and the painted a 2-tone paint scheme, and then baked it (i hear it helps the paint stay on better?) but I am still afriad it will chip like the other bike i did (but i didnt bake it). my other bike, if any little metal thing touched it, it would make a big gash. what do we use to keep the paint from chiping so easily?

Spooooon!
    I just used an enamel clear lacquer. Did you use the correct etching primer for aluminum?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoppellStereo
    just curious, after you paint, what clear coat protects the paint from chips? I primered and the painted a 2-tone paint scheme, and then baked it (i hear it helps the paint stay on better?) but I am still afriad it will chip like the other bike i did (but i didnt bake it). my other bike, if any little metal thing touched it, it would make a big gash. what do we use to keep the paint from chiping so easily?
    if you powder coat you dont have to worry. powder coat is the best route, but its pricey. used to be about 10-15 years ago cheaper. with powder coat you can bang the metal, and it will bend under the paint. you can also use auto paint, but you want to get a paint gun to apply it. and have a fan to take away over spray.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle
    if you powder coat you dont have to worry. powder coat is the best route, but its pricey. used to be about 10-15 years ago cheaper. with powder coat you can bang the metal, and it will bend under the paint. you can also use auto paint, but you want to get a paint gun to apply it. and have a fan to take away over spray.
    Also with auto paint, you need to wear the proper mask. Some of Dupont's paints are rather Toxic. Also, the hardener that you can use it also toxic.