mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Anyone know the Weight of the 2012 Scalpel Alloy 3 29er?

I was wondering if anyone knew the weight of the Alloy version of the 2012 Scalpel, specifically the Alloy 3 which comes with the Lefty Fork. Trying to figure out whether the extra $2k is for the carbon is worth it. I would like a $3k+ bike to be sub 28lbs

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ive not seen any weights yet and they are still not due till march last I heard. I love my scalpel 2 but I have a few friends interested in the 3 as well. Id like to see the weight. I think the 3 will be a sweet bike for the price.

Worth the extra for the 2? Depends on what your going to be doing and if the money is buring a hole in your pocket I guess. The 2 is the best riding MTB ive ridden in 22 years of riding MTB's by far. I cant say enough how much I like it. And I thought I loved my Santa Cruz Blur up to this point

My biggest concern for the 1 and 2 is the carbon frame. I know its going to crack eventually just hope when it does its not something that takes me a nightmare to get the warranty and back to riding. Would be a perfect world if it doesnt crack though

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yea, I am very tempted to get the 2, however I was only looking to spend around 2-3k on a bike. If the Full alloy bike weighed in at around 26-27lbs, I'd be plenty happy.

At least your carbon frame is lifetime

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well i got an email back from cannondale:

"Approx 27.6 pounds is your answer.

Thank you for contacting Cannondale. Have a nice day."

There you have it. Not sure which frame size they are using, however I am assuming this is a medium pedal-less weigh-in.

Think i can get a lighter FS 29er for under $3k, or should i pull the trigger on this guy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYY View Post
    Well i got an email back from cannondale:

"Approx 27.6 pounds is your answe".
    Don't assume anything. If you can live with a bike that weighs more than you ideal target weight , buy the bike. My experience with listed " approximate " bike weights and delivery times makes me a true skeptic and cynic. I'd hazard a guess and say that alloy 3 is every ounce of 30lbs. That doesn't make a slow bike or bad bike, just a 30lb bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RyderX View Post
    Don't assume anything. If you can live with a bike that weighs more than you ideal target weight , buy the bike. My experience with listed " approximate " bike weights and delivery times makes me a true skeptic and cynic. I'd hazard a guess and say that alloy 3 is every ounce of 30lbs. That doesn't make a slow bike or bad bike, just a 30lb bike.
    Well I'd love to have a 25-27lb 29er FS, however I cannot get this (new) for ~$3k.

That being said, I guess i can always make it a little lighter with alternative components. I'm 6'3" 185, so a couple of pounds really shouldnt make a noticable difference (that's what i'm telling myself anyway). I'll probably go ahead an put an order in at my LBS real soon.

Thanks!