Professional Sociopath

Anyone know if this is an old 'Dale?

A friend of mine just bought this and asked if I could tell much about it but can't vouch for it's authenticity. In one of the pictures of the headtube it looks like there's damage behind the sticker and looking at the way the cable stops are rivetted on the seatstay makes me think it is a decent frame but I don't remember Cannondale making bikes in a polished natural finish although someone could have done this at a later date.

Cannondale?
    Do people think you are strange??

Do you??

....Then you may be on the right track.
    (Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

Like catnip for people
    Cannondale has never done stacked dime welds, have they?

edit: Unless they're Taiwain made!

Professional Sociopath
    that's sort of why I thought I would ask on here my kid bro has an old f900 but he's the other side of the country, might get him to send me some pics of his. It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't a proper Cannondale but now I'm curious as to what the frame might be.

Do you??

(Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

LA CHÈVRE
    Not a Cannondale.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Retro Cannondale Addict

No good

Quote Originally Posted by sic_nick
    A friend of mine just bought this and asked if I could tell much about it but can't vouch for it's authenticity. In one of the pictures of the headtube it looks like there's damage behind the sticker and looking at the way the cable stops are rivetted on the seatstay makes me think it is a decent frame but I don't remember Cannondale making bikes in a polished natural finish although someone could have done this at a later date.

Cannondale?
    Your friend got ripped off pretty bad. He/She should take the frame and beat the seller over the head with it until those crappy brazings come loose!

Professional Sociopath
    I do have to admit that the cable stops on the top tube do have a very 'agricultural' look about them and look big enough to be able to remove your undercarriage with ease. I will tell him it doesn't look like it's a real 'Dale but don't think he will care, I'll stick to my steel hardtails although I am in the process of putting together a Decathlon frame as my singlespeed hack while I contemplate powdercoating an old Rockhopper frame as a badass black stealth bike a la Badboy.
    Last edited by sic_nick; 08-17-2007 at 08:58 AM.

Do you??

(Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

mtbr member
    not a cannondale. i love even the sticker on the front is just slapped on. welds are DEFIANTLY not cannondale. even the stops are not what cannondale uses, and teh seat post tube looks bigger. so no way.

mtbr member
    I'd say it's a 1995 DBR. Not that ever owned one or anything like that. I wouldn't say the guy got ripped off, unless he paid more than say $12.00 for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Every C'dale frame I've ever seen has had smoothed and blended welds. This is not a C'dale. I have seen factory bikes with a bare, polished aluminum finish, however.

Professional Sociopath

More detail

I had Chris come round with the frame and here's some more detailed pics. I can't get many more as I don't know if or when he will bring the frame round again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you??

(Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

mtbr member
    still not a cannondale...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Looks like the "C" decal is the current design. That would make it a recent frame- can't be a cannondale.......

mtbr member
    Well, although the seller did mislead by adorning the bike with decals. The Auction subtitle is clearly filled with trigger search verbiage of "Trek, Kona, Cannondale". Buyer beware on such matters on eBay.

Professional Sociopath
    just curious now to find out what it might have been an that's all.

Do you??

(Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    I have an old KHS that I use as a commuter, and the frame looks exactly like yours, even the finish. I would say it's a KHS, however, it is a pretty generic looking Tiawanese made frame, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same frame had been sold with different paint jobs under several different brand names.

mtbr member
    Most likely, many frames are shared between manufacturers. I think I've seen the Schwinn "Inlightend" Aluminum Frame spread across two other major bike manufacturers.

That frustrates me, I like hopping on a bike and felling the nuances of that brand. It's becoming less and less likely as mass production and cost consolidation become more apparent.