mtbr member

Anyone install XT disc brakes on a Scalpel?

I have a 2011 Scalpel with Lefty. I switched the Avids for XTs, and installed Alligator Wintcutter rotors. I'm having a heck of a time adjusting the calipers. The rotors rub and, when applying the brakes, they make a loud whirring sound and the brand new pads seem to be grabbing only at the very top 5mm of the “teeth” of the rotor.
    Looking through the caliper from one end to the other, I can see about 4mm before the rotor bottoms-out to the top of the caliper.

The XTs where purchased without mounting hardwear, so I installed the new XT's using the hardware that were holding the original Avid Juicy Sevens along with the Avid brake adapter.

So, what do I need to do the job right?

Thanks

Helmetless Crasher
    Definitely get the Shimano mounting hardware. Should resolve your issues.

I had similar issues when mounting XT's on my '11 RZ before I got the Shimano mounting hardware.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Definitely get the Shimano mounting hardware. Should resolve your issues.

I had similar issues when mounting XT's on my '11 RZ before I got the Shimano mounting hardware.
    Hate to be a PITA but, do you know specifically which and where to get? There are a lot of choices out there. Don't want to get the wrong ones.

Helmetless Crasher
    Lots of places to get them. But places like Jenson, Nashbar, Pricepoint, etc. will have them at decent prices. Ebay, as well. The exact model you need will depend on rotor size.

Get the genuine Shimano parts, not the cheapo generic stuff marketed as "compatible w/ shimano, hayes, etc".
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    What size rotors are you using? You should check your local C-Dale dealer, I believe the rear is a C-dale part only. At least on my Scalpel 1 the rear mount is a specific mount made by C-Dale for the Shimano brakes. It is different for the SRAM brakes.

If the the front is a 160mm - you need a Shimano I.S. to Post for a 160F

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Anyone install XT disc brakes on a Scalpel?

On my 2012 26" scalpel I installed XTR brakes by taking the round metal spacers from below the mounting bracket and added them to the top stack.
    This way the bolts don't bottom out and everything lined up nicely.
    I use 160/160

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    What size rotors are you using? You should check your local C-Dale dealer, I believe the rear is a C-dale part only. At least on my Scalpel 1 the rear mount is a specific mount made by C-Dale for the Shimano brakes. It is different for the SRAM brakes.

If the the front is a 160mm - you need a Shimano I.S. to Post for a 160F
    Both rotors are 160mm. I checked the Cannondale Experts site but they only have Avid brackets. I'll now check the local Cdale dealer.

... and I imagine the bracket on the front is special since everything you try to find for a Lefty is different and not easy to come by.
    Last edited by Thatshowiroll; 02-05-2013 at 04:20 AM.

mtbr member
    So, in other words, what I'm trying to accomplish is lowering the caliper? If that's the case, I can just subtract some washers and
    I'll replace the fancy cupped washers with something more stable.

mtbr member
    I installed the new XT's on my 2012 29 Scalpel 4 using the original rotors (Avid) and caliper mount bracket without issue. The only thing I had to do was the standard "trim the brake lines". If I were to guess (without looking), I would say your problem may be your rotors. Try puting the original rotors on and see if you still have the same problem...

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post

... and I imagine the bracket on the front is special since everything you try to find for a Lefty is different and not easy to come by.
    The bracket for the Lefty is standard issue.

When I got XT's, I first used the OE brackets and had issues with rotor rubbing and some unswept rotor surface - clearly the caliper was not aligned properly by the brackets.

I then ordered some generic e-bay brackets that were supposed to be "for Shimano/Hayes". This too was less than ideal alignment.

Finally, I ordered the genuine Shimano brackets and all has been most lovely ever since. The entire rotor surface is swept by the pads and there is zero rubbing.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    So, I gave my 2 local C-dale dealers the benefit of the doubt. I called them and asked if they had these brackets in stock. They seem to have no clue.
    They both say the lefty does not have a standard bracket and they're not sure which bracket for the rear.

No wonder people shop on the internet.

Ridin' dirty!
    Well, I guess I would avoid that shop then.....The Lefty does use standard mounts.
    To get the alignment in order you have to mount the caliper flush onto the fork adapter/mount.
    Do not use the ball washers. Shimano calipers have to be shimmed for proper dish.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help everyone. I didn't have to purchase anything.
    I took off all those pesky ball-washers and kept the original brackets. Mounted the caliper direct to the bracket and boss. This brought the rotor as far as it could go into the caliper and the sideways adjustment is much easier.

mtbr member
    Good to hear, now get out and Ride!!!