mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Anyone have a link or text/summary of Jan 04' F800 MBA review

Just wondering if anyone can guide me to the review (or can paste it here) of the F800 in the January 2004 issue of Moutain Bike Action. I missed the review, but we sell the F800 a the shop (we demo too) and I would like to have the information to show to prospective buyers (also a good "I told you so" for a certain guy who also works at the shop who bags on Cannondale every chance he gets, even if a customer comes in wanting one). I haven't been able to ride one yet (our demo is Large, I ride a Medium) but can't wait-it looks like a great trailbike, and I loved the Jake last year on the Jekyll 800 (I thought that bike was a much better XC bike with the Jake than it is with the Lefty Max-too slack with the longer fork).

Are you talking to me?

I have the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgcatching
    Just wondering if anyone can guide me to the review (or can paste it here) of the F800 in the January 2004 issue of Moutain Bike Action. I missed the review, but we sell the F800 a the shop (we demo too) and I would like to have the information to show to prospective buyers (also a good "I told you so" for a certain guy who also works at the shop who bags on Cannondale every chance he gets, even if a customer comes in wanting one). I haven't been able to ride one yet (our demo is Large, I ride a Medium) but can't wait-it looks like a great trailbike, and I loved the Jake last year on the Jekyll 800 (I thought that bike was a much better XC bike with the Jake than it is with the Lefty Max-too slack with the longer fork).
    I have it here, but I do not have a way to text it to you. No fax, or scanner. Do you have specific questions about the article?
    gfy

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yes-here is my request: What did the article say? Good, bad? Strengths and weaknesses of the hardtail design? Decent trailbike? Weight? Could you paraphrase the gist of the article, if possible?

Are you talking to me?

Ok.

Yes-here is my request: What did the article say? Good, bad? Strengths and weaknesses of the hardtail design? Decent trailbike? Weight? Could you paraphrase the gist of the article, if possible?
    It starts by talking about how ther are fer upper end hardtails available, because everyone wants fs. The rear stays are beefer than on the SL race bikes. The frame can handle 2.3" tires easily, and 3 bottles. it goes on to talk about the Lefty Jake, with 3.9" travel, external rebound. $1500.00 is the price point. It answers questions about the Lefty, nothing new. They say this bike smokes on the DH, because of the Lefty, and the rear end. Stiff, without being too harsh. The article says that the F800 is built for an aggro trailrider who wants to kiip things simple. Negatives? the rebound knob needs a clicker, and dealing with racks on vehicles can be a chore.

"Cannondale has made a ht that will have you questioning the virtues of fs." "The f800 is a blast"

They really liked this bike. Medium was tested, weighing in at 26.4lb.

That is the bulk of it. They really like that bike at the $1500 price point. I am personally pointing two buddies that way this season. Any other questions?
    gfy

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    It starts by talking about how ther are fer upper end hardtails available, because everyone wants fs. The rear stays are beefer than on the SL race bikes. The frame can handle 2.3" tires easily, and 3 bottles. it goes on to talk about the Lefty Jake, with 3.9" travel, external rebound. $1500.00 is the price point. It answers questions about the Lefty, nothing new. They say this bike smokes on the DH, because of the Lefty, and the rear end. Stiff, without being too harsh. The article says that the F800 is built for an aggro trailrider who wants to kiip things simple. Negatives? the rebound knob needs a clicker, and dealing with racks on vehicles can be a chore.

"Cannondale has made a ht that will have you questioning the virtues of fs." "The f800 is a blast"

They really liked this bike. Medium was tested, weighing in at 26.4lb.

That is the bulk of it. They really like that bike at the $1500 price point. I am personally pointing two buddies that way this season. Any other questions?
    Any specifics on how the bike would stand up performance-wise against a FS frame? That is the biggest question I get-people can get a Jekyll 600 at that price point, so what makes the F800 better? Also, did they mention how it stacks up against any other HT's in that price range? Or other HT's in general? I have ridden our F800 around the parking lot and it feels very trail-worthy, but is way to big in Large for trail riding (I am 5 foot 9). I have been test riding our demo F600 (same Furio frame) and like it so far, but based on prior experiences, I know the Lefty Jake is a HUGE upgrade over the Super Fatty DL.

Are you talking to me?

Not really.

Any specifics on how the bike would stand up performance-wise against a FS frame? That is the biggest question I get-people can get a Jekyll 600 at that price point, so what makes the F800 better? Also, did they mention how it stacks up against any other HT's in that price range? Or other HT's in general? I have ridden our F800 around the parking lot and it feels very trail-worthy, but is way to big in Large for trail riding (I am 5 foot 9). I have been test riding our demo F600 (same Furio frame) and like it so far, but based on prior experiences, I know the Lefty Jake is a HUGE upgrade over the Super Fatty DL.
    There are no specifics on how it would stack up against other bikes. What makes the F800 better then the 600 is the weight, the components, and the lack of maintenence.
    gfy