mtbr member
    Jan 2004

anyone got a new jeykll '04 bike

am considering buying the new '04 jeykll 600 as am not entirely keen on the lefty. just want to see if anyone out there has any feed back on jeykll bikes and the kind of ride they may represent???

cheers!

mtbr member
    Check out the 2003 reviews, the 2004 is very similar.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2003_ful...t_121216.shtml

Frequent Crasher
    I don't think the Jekyll 600 has a Lefty in '04. The Lefty comes on the 800.

Are you talking to me?

Jekyll 04

The Lefty is great. Go for it. I have a Lefty DLR that is 3 years old, and the 2003 Lefty Max TPC=. They are fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

We the people ... 2003/2004 Jekyll 600

I've got a 2003 Jekyll 600 but it came with a Jake, which is the single fork, but is an coil spring, but it does work really well! You can pick one up for $1k now that the new bikes are coming out.

My wife has a Raven 2000 with a Lefty and loves it, but she is not a very aggressive rider.

According to Cannondale's site. www.cannondale.com
    The 2004 Jekyll 600 comes with a Manitou Black Elite

I hope this helps.

Later...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thank you very much. The new 600 is the one I am after as it is cheaper coming with a manitou black elite and not a lefty. How do you find the Jeykll rides? do you notice much bob at all and do you find the biek is well suited to all round aggresive riding style?

many thanks

mtbr member
    i test rode a few jekylls (400-600) before i got my fuel. i like them all and would have gotten one if i hadn't got such a great deal on my present bike. the lower level 400 had a good bit of bob in almost every situation i got it in, a lockout seemed needed for major climbing (another reason i got the fuel). at the same time the extra travel and quality of it was really nice. i'd really like to try one out with an spv shock to see how much better it rides. i think they're great bikes and since everyone seems to be jumping on the heckler or enduro bandwagon you'll probably stand out in a crowd. as for the lefty i don't have any personal experience. my riding buddy who's a major cannondale fan thinks they're great but everyone else i've talked to seems kinda put off by them. i'm sure most of the people that have said negative things are only going off looks and have no personal experience. i say at least try out the lefty.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    My roomate has a Fox Talas on medium Liquid 30 full XTR (inculding XTR wheelset) and my stock extra large jekyll 1000 wieghs 2 lbs LESS!!!! I didn't like the Jake, could never get it stiff enough. I have the DLR and it is great. They said you could change the oil in the jake to make it stiffer. The DLR is very smooth, I weigh 240 lbs and have never bottemed it out. I will sometimes lock it out on the road but very rarly, never notice any bob in the woods. The remote lock out on the rear is used a lot though. I would also like to try the spv. If you can get the lefty you won't be sorry, plus then you'll have to have disc brakes and you will be able to stop!!!!!!!!

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!

Bob, you're way off...

the Lefty is the best thing about that bike, about any C-dale IMO. Saying you'd rather have a Manitou Black is like saying you'd rather have a Toyota Corola than a BMW. The Lefty is far and away the best fork I've ever tried - though I'd sure like to try that new Maverick Dual Crown.

mtbr member
    The Jekyll 600 is very good for $1400. I've only ridden my wife's size S feminine model, so I can't rate its abilities very well. Itwas way too small for me. I can tell you that my Jekyll 1000, costing twice as much, is not twice the bike. The 600 is a very good value. The manitou Black is plush and stiff enough for most people, but it isn't near the quality of the lefty Max in any respect. Why don't you like the lefty? When you order yours make sure that all the components will be as listed in the catalog. Cannondale is known to substitute temporarily unavalable parts with last years leftovers.

mtbr member
    i have a jekyll 2000 and I really, really like it. It has a Propedal fox float, w/ lockout. I find that I only use the lockout on pavement, or standing up on fire roads. I don't have a Lefty, though I have had one in the past and it is a great fork (strut). The reasons I don't have one now is that I grew tired of having to do all the driving if my buddies and I went anywhere. I was the only one with upright mounts on my car, they all had fork mounts. I also wanted the adjustability of the Talas RL that I am now using. Combined with the adjustability of the trunnion mounted shock on the frame, I have the angles dialed for my type of riding (Western Oregon, the green side) and with the fork, I can adjust the angles from fairly steep for tight smooth single track to much more slack for steeper descents. The Black will be similar. I think that this is a truely do anything bike. I have not raced it yet, but I will be this summer. Also, I prefer the ride of the C-dale to the Blur that I am currently testing, on the same trails. Just an FYI. My Jekyll weighs between 27 and 29 lbs depending on tires.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Jekyll/Lefty - own 4

We have four Lefty's two on Jekylls, two on Scalpels. Two ELO, one dlr, one carbon dlr

I think they're under-rated

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I bought a 2003 Jekyll 500 for my daughter last July. It is pretty much the same as the 2004 Jekyll 600 except that the 03 500 has the Black Comp and the 04 600 has the Black Elite. With my 135lb daughter, the Jekyll has little to no bob during seated climbing and she now leaves me in her dust like never before.

I have ridden all of the 2003 Jekylls from the 400 to the 2000 and found they all bobbed as much as my 99 SV900, but I weigh twice as much as she does and itís to be expected with any non-stable platform shock Iíve tried. The 2004 Jekyll 1000 and above come with the stable platform shocks in the rear and that should take care of that issue.

The Jekyll was the smoothest and best riding trailbike we found in that price range (about $1,250) at the time. We added a set of Hayes disc brakes, a seat that was designed as a torture device and a riser bar and she now has a very nice rig.

The Specialized Rockhopper in the same price range felt heavier and we didnít care for the fork that came on it either compared to the Black. That was the closest competitor in our opinion, but there are some good closeout deals to be had right now if you look around.

mtbr member
    I have a 2004 Jekyll 400. I bought the cheapest one because I knew I would be replacing parts anyway...why pay for parts I am going to remove? Right away I replaced the fork(Manitou Axel Super) with a 120mm Marzocchi MX ETA, and the brakes with some extra Avid stuff I had around.

Anyway, ALL 2004 Jekylls have platform rear shocks, whether it's a Manitou with SPV or a Fox with Pro Pedal. The lower levels have the Fox, and it does a commendable job of reducing pedal bob. I don't notice any small bump harshness; in fact if I hit a square edged 1" bump I almost don't feel a thing, just hear the tires smack it! I have done some light free riding with it as well as regular XC riding and it does both very well. The suspension absorbs trail roughness as easily as it took small drops. I am happy with it and feel that it's a lot of bike for the money.

The Black fork on the 600 should be decent, but if it comes with the Cannondale labeled brake levers allow money to replace them in your budget. The biggest change from 2003 to 2004 Jekylls is the addition of the platform rear shocks. So any complaints you hear from reviews of 2003 bikes about bobbing has been mostly negated.

Out riding my Scalpel

Lefty fork rocks!

I have a Jekyll 1000/Year 2003! LOVE it! The Lefty is a great shock. Get a Cannondale and don't look back. They make great bikes. My next Canny will be the Scalpel.

mtbr member

any change

does anyone know if there was a change in the jekyll frame between 02 - 04?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr
    does anyone know if there was a change in the jekyll frame between 02 - 04?
    Yes, in 03 they added close to an inch in travel and in 04 many of the Jekyll's went to a stable platform type rear shock. I used to have a Jekyll and it was one of the best all around bikes I have ever owned. I would love to have a new one with the Lefty Max and the new rear set-up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Love my lefty Jekyll

Quote Originally Posted by sunkistbob
    am considering buying the new '04 jeykll 600 as am not entirely keen on the lefty. just want to see if anyone out there has any feed back on jeykll bikes and the kind of ride they may represent???

cheers!
    I recently got an 04 Jekyll frameset with the Maitou SPV 3way shock and a lefty (the older original 100mm). I love that frame, the rear shock absolutely rocks and so does the lefty. I switched form a super-v with a vanilla r shock and a basic headshock and what an amazing difference. The main appeal to me was that it has a Manitou shock, for some reason I have seen several of the jekyll Fox shox need to be rebuilt a little too often, being a 200lb + rider I am apprehensive about air shocks anyways. Hope this helps, ride on.