Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Anyone else ready to give up on Cannondale?

I was in my LBS Cannondale dealer and found almost zero bikes on the shop floor. I was buying a Scalpel Carbon and was almost talked out of it. This bike will be the 10th Cannondale I have in my (family) garage, and the 13th that I've purchased since '93. And I might be done. Two years ago I waited 6 months for a SliceRS, before that 5 months for a Scalpel 29 Alloy 3.. And 6 months for a warranty Evo frame. I also lost the use of the SliceRS for a recall during the key racing season after having the bike for 5 months. My LBS where I purchased the bike is all but done. While I am excited for C'dale's success with Sagan, and perhaps in the Mtn Bike scene, I am not sure the Dorel move has benefited me. Not that it is all about me, but as a consumer the bikes seem waaaay pricier, and "down spec'd". I said "i'm done" two bikes ago... but I am pretty sure I am done with Cannondale now. Anyone with similar frustrations? Talk me back from the ledge. [This forum seems more active than the Road Bike Forum concerning Cannondale - so this is more company related than Road or Mtn related.]
    Last edited by Hoodriverlife; 02-12-2014 at 02:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Well, that seems more like a problem with your LBS than Cannondale TBH.
    It's true tha Cannondale don't offer best value since you pay a lot for the name (and some unique and proprietary technology).

But, that's no different to many other acclaimed bike companies.

I buy bikes on closeout and fire sales. That way I get a lot more bike for a lot less money.
    Nobody really needs latest and greatest, besides - by buying on closeouts or after season you can avoid some problems in regard to early batches and get tried and tested stuff.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    I've got five Cannondales in my garage, so I've demonstrated some strong brand loyalty. When they moved manufacturing overseas, I was pretty disappointed--but many people said that the bright side would be less expensive bikes. Well, the prices certainly don't seem to have come down, although the specs did.

I'm not in the market for a new bike right now. But if I were, I'm not sure that I'd buy a Cannondale. It'll be interesting to see what the company is like when I start shopping in a couple of years.

LA CHÈVRE
    I agree with Marin, seems it's your shop that's the issue, not Cannondale. If they don't order Cannondales, of course you (and other clients) wont buy them and of course, they'll try to convince people to buy what they have in stock...

Only Cannondale has the superior Lefty, Hollowgram cranks and a lot of high-end tech others don't.... Sure a Lefty 'can' be installed on other bikes but that makes them even less great values and not as integrated/nice looking... I for one, don't see myself getting something else in the near future (I also just saw Cannondale's first true 27.5" frame, can't wait for the 2015 line but here's Jérôme Clementz' 27.5 Jekyll).

For the long waits, it was not only a Cannondale problem, it hit many brands mostly because of the economy. Most brands prefer to produce a bit less bikes and wait for enough orders to make more than risk getting stuck with unsold stock (I've heard of very long waits from Scott, Trek and many others). In other cases, they are waiting for parts from Shimano/SRAM. Also, sometimes it's a shop that doesn't order bikes when they should so they fall bike behind in the priorities...

I don't think anyone expects any company to lower prices by going overseas and that move was decided before the company was bought by Dorel. What did change is better manufacturing, less manufacturing issues, less warranty problems and more R&D budget for what really makes a Cannondale a Cannondale (and that was never 'made in USA' to me although, I'm not an american so that's normal): their innovation, designs, engineering...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I agree with Dan here. The economy dictated wait times for a number of companies.

I liked the Made in USA stuff, but then they were made in my home state so that was a nice bonus. Spec wise I can get a better spec'd bike for less so that's what I will do when its time to replace the 2007 Caffeine frame I've been riding for years. (used Rush/Prophet notwithstanding) Ride what you like. This issue is not entirely Cannondale's fault. If the quality and spec per price aren't to your liking then go with a company that can produce that for you.

Its not like C-dale's headed the way of Iron Horse where they're now only found in Wal-mart.

Hate the color but that Jekyll looks like a real trail killing beast.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Scott had the same issue. I was in my fav LBS asking about a few things. They said Scott did not have any current yr models left of what I was looking at. They had to wait for 3 months for next yrs model release
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Energetik View Post
    Hate the color but that Jekyll looks like a real trail killing beast.
    That all green colorway is for pre-release team-only frames so expect something different once it's out... I like the all green though.

mtbr member
    Well I am a newb so all i can say is that the best feeling and most exciting bikes I rode were the Cannondale sl series and ended up with a f29 1 lefty! I really like it. I also bought mine as a leftover lefty and got a heck of a deal!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So, thanks for the replies. By the way, I actually have two “LBS” for Cannondale. Neither of them have any C’dales in the showroom.

LBS#1 is 1.5 miles away from my house. I bought a Synapse from them 2 years ago (which I received relatively quickly) and the Scalpel for my wife. (Both unseen and not ridden – because of what I just said)… the Scalpel took 5 months to arrive (completely missed the summer season and the family vacation, BUT the LBS#1 was kind enough to give me a Norco ‘loaner’). I should probably be mad with Cannondale, and not LBS#1 because the ship time changed a dozen times over those 5 months. But for 5 months I was worried I’d never see anything for my deposit.

LBS#2 is 60 miles away from where I live. It is the shop I reference above. They HAD always been the “real” C’dale dealer in the area, and were I’ve bought several of my bikes (when I lived there). They are x3 bigger than LBS#1. They are great, can tune a bike, and really went to bat for me when my SuperSix cracked two years ago. Having waited 9 months for a replacement frame for my SuperSix, this LBS went to their last year’s stock and pulled apart an Evo to give me the replacement frame that I was waiting for. After I ordered the SliceRS, and after a dozen different changing ‘ship dates’ this LBS#2 lent me a (old) Slice from their inventory for 6 months, so I could complete the race that I was purchasing the RS for. THIS SHOP IS AMAZING. I am still loyal to them because of their help on the warrantee, and because they seem a little more stable than #1. BUT the last time I went there (3 weeks ago) to buy my new Carbon 29er (Scalpel) they didn’t have hardly any stock and mentioned that they might be moving away from C’dale. (They weren’t happy with CSG new business model, and trying to compete with higher volume outlets and major discounting (presumably REI et al).

Maybe it is the ship times that bother me. Or the changing shipping times. I really am not shopping for the lowest price deal, I’d rather support an independent bike dealer… But I can’t feel sorry for Dorel’s recent press release concerning lower Q4 profits and a relatively poor 2013 performance, because in my mind I am ready to drop them.

But then I said that when I wished I had purchased the Cervelo… (vs. the Slice).

I am sure I’ll enjoy my Scalpel 29 Carbon 2 with the upgraded carbon Lefty. I mean, seriously. But… I still have a strange sinking feeling about the company. I liked it when I knew the folks in Wilton/Bedford… and they handbuilt and it was artisan…

The Carbon Scalpel is supposed to be here in Feb. Late Feb. I’ll let you know when it comes in.

(BTW, I am not upset – though perhaps I should be – about the offshoring. I didn’t like the Supersix manufacturing issues, and if the Evo lasts longer because the Taiwanese can build better bikes… then so be it).

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodriverlife View Post
    (BTW, I am not upset – though perhaps I should be – about the offshoring. I didn’t like the Supersix manufacturing issues, and if the Evo lasts longer because the Taiwanese can build better bikes… then so be it).
    What SuperSix manufacturing issues are you referring to? Only issue I've heard was some paint cracking issues in 2008 or 2009 but these were the made in USA SuperSix, the 2010 redesign was when they started to make them in Asia and those and the Evos, I haven't heard of any problems (my 2010 and 2013 Evo are flawless).

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Sorry, yes. I mean that the quality went UP when they went offshore. I had a SS 2009 that had a crack. My replacement (Which was an EVO - thanks to the persistance of LBS#2) is great, and has no issues. As you say, the US-built entry into the world of carbon was a rocky road, and offshoring took away the problem.

What am I saying? I am saying that global manufacturing is here to stay. I am not going to get bent out of shape because C'dale isn't "built in USA".

Edit: but as was stated above... the quality went up... but so did the prices.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Strange enough,
    Had the opposite experience with my local C'dale shop.

They just recently started carrying C'dale " 8 months ago " and had a very large inventory. I asked the owner how C'dale was to deal with and he said The Reps were the most responsive and personable people he has dealt with in the 41 years that he has owned the shop.

Order my Scalpel team in Nov and received it in Jan

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    I have always been a huge Specialized Epic supporter, but this year and at time to upgrade my MTN bike I just could not succumb to their pricing. So if anyone thinks cannondale is high, look around. I went to a few Local shops in the are a few only had allow and while the one I purchased from had several carbon scalpels. Albeit they were not the carbon 1 team that I purchased I was able to get a feel for the bike and make a good decision.

In regards to price, they list for 8,600 or so MSRP online, Dealer MSRP is about 7,999. I paid far less than that after taxes even for a 2014 Scalpel Team from one of the dealers. I tried to get a Specialized dealer to give even a little and it was like pulling teeth, I never found it so hard to want to spend that kind of cash, but I am done drinking the specialized kool aid. Oh and I forgot to mention I got hooked up with XTR brakes to replace the XX. I like quiet breakers and can not go wrong with XTR.

I still like their bikes don't get me wrong, but when this thread discusses price vs value I kinda chuckle knowing what I just went through. Maybe the lower end bikes are not as competitive who knows. But on the upper end, easy decision.

I wanted xx1, carbon, slightly aggressive but can be a good endurance bike. Try finding that! I am coming from a 26" so I wanted a snappy 29er.

I am pretty excited to ride this thing, but yes have to wait for it to arrive. I did try out a flash lefty last year and liked it.

Also I have cracked two specialized bikes in the past, just in case anyone is curious.

Most major bikes MFG's outsource over seas and to china or Taiwan.

Just my two cents...and just glad to work with LBS that want your business, I can't wait to spend more there now.

mtbr member
    I just purchased my first Cannondale! 14 Scalpel Team. I had a hard time deciding over the 2 and the team. Very excited and I hope Cannondale and myself get along!

This is my second ever Cannondale bike. My first road bike 6 years ago was a 1993ish crit bike. I wish I would have kept that thing!

If anyone wants some Enve Carbon Clinchers for a lefty I have some for sale!!!
    I race for Crosshairs Cycling
    www.crosshairscycling.com

My stupid blog
    www.capitalbiker.tumblr.com

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I think it's mostly been covered, but yes, the economy had a huge impact on ordering, and it does need to be remembered that it isn't JUST Cannondale in the mix. It's all the various and sundry parts suppliers they deal with, experiencing the same supply and demand concerns, and feeling that from all the brands THEY deal with.

The whole industry hit the brakes pretty hard the last two seasons, pardoning the pun....

As for costs skyrocketing? Don't blame Cannondale. You know that saying about pointing a finger at someone ending up with 3 pointing back at you?

Blame the consumer. The vapid knuckle dragging, mouth breathing chant that we need more gears, less weight, more carbon, faster, stronger, lighter. BS. None of those things make anyone who works for a living and races on weekends, any more competitive than they were last year, two years ago, whatever.

Frankly the whole racing driving the industry thing can go away any time it wants if you ask me. Give me a bike that works well, holds up, doesn't wear out prematurely, and doesn't have a bunch of plastic, disposable, non recyclable crap on it, and I'd be quite happy, regardless of whether Johnny Fastguy of the week rode it and declared it good. Straighten the brim of your hat and get off my damn lawn!

Add to that the lawyers, doctors and industry insider deals that allowed folks like Sram to actually convince themselves that a $425 cassette was a great idea, and there's your issue.

Bought a Cannondale Goodboy years ago. Carbon Lefty, polished, MUSA frame, full XTR kit (even the cassette), custom polished for Cannondale by Shimano, Thomson post, DT Swiss rear hub, Mavic 819's, there wasn't a house brand POS widget on that bike anywhere.

If memory serves, full MSRP was just under $5K.

Buy a Trigger now, and it's overseas sourced, buncha house branded stuff for "support parts" and a mid level FSA crank, and XT. Same price.

We are the problem.

The industry feeds us less quality for the same money, and we lap it up like hungry kittens at the milk bowl.

I agree with a few here. Don't be the first. Be the last. Wait till it's on closeout. Wait till the industry is crapping it's panties under the weight of it's own overpriced, underpurchased tripe. Then show them who actually runs the show. The little guy, works for a living and saves for months or years to buy their bream bike, consumer.

Sorry, rant over, it's still early here
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

A guy on a bike Moderator
    I always admired Cannondale's innovate spirit. They brought some amazing things to life, with my coveted Lefty topping the list. The 26" Scalpel was pretty amazing too--I was lucky to grab a close-out for my wife, who really appreciates the weight and fun ride.

But the pace of innovation seems to have slowed. Craig is right that there's been too much BS industry "innovation" as of late. I miss Cannondale's genuine creative influence. When was the last time they invented anything as cool as the Lefty or Hollowgram? My ancient 1993 Delta V with a Headshok was pretty amazing for the time--and still compares favorably to a lot of the newer stuff. Yes, my RZ is better--but the pace of tangible improvements seems to have slowed dramatically.

Maybe the problem is that the industry has matured, and there simply aren't as many true innovations left--so we now get a bunch of hyped-up tweaks which are presented as revolutionary, but are really just ways to jack up prices. $425 cassette, anyone?

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    Paying 425$ for an XX1 cassette is crazy. When it comes time to replace the one that came with the team edition I will be looking for some deals. Modern Bike had some this weekend and could have gotten an entire XX1 Groupset for $1,200 that is including chain, shifters, cranks, bolts and rings etc..

I honestly think that all this price hiking stuff will actually cause all the lower end stuff to become more of an interest. By trying to take more market they are actually starting to allow the incumbents to rise.

I would have never found myself 4 years ago looking for a carbon bike or options from China, but I would also have never thought the asking price on an s-works Epic was 10,500 with a dealer controlled concept of no discounting it.

Who knows...

LA CHÈVRE
    Companies charge the most they can get away with. Is a 12,000$ bike really worth it? Does it makes sense? That doesn't matter, if they exist (as well as 425$ cassettes) it's because they know people will gladly pay that amount. I don't think it only applies to the bike industry though.

Welcome to capitalism.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have bought two Cannondales so far and would still buy another. For me it is the attention to the small details that I appreciate. The function and fit of their forks and frames are better than others IMO. The way the bike is designed with smooth lines etc reminds me of a new Mercedes S class. Look at other bikes and their alloy frames have messy looking welds, or the carbon lay up is a little messy.

Add to this the durability of the bikes I have owned and it is easy for me to buy another.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Fair points about Specialized. And component supply chain. Not that I ever sell my bikes (clearly) but perhaps I am just frazzled because when I started buying C'dales in '93 they were considered top of the heap. Now my LBS doesn't have any and isn't interested in dealing with their business model... (and I should go to REI to view and get one). Plus I just picked up 4-5 cycling / mtn bike magazines of different flavors recently with reviews of hundreds of bikes and Cannondale was absent. Completely. And Cannondale starts a Pro Team... Sagan et al, and the top of the line DA bike I purchased 8 years ago cost $4k and the latest '14 costs $7.8k. Perhaps you can convince me of trickle down benefits... But as was said early on, the tweaks at that pointy end of the spear don't do much for us lay people.

Edit. maybe I'm just upset that my new $5k Scalpel comes with a $400 wheelset which I'll need to replace immediately... Or that I just spent the winter trying to get the brakes to work on my $7.5k TT bike. Wah wah.

Perhaps I just am waxing stupidly over this collection of bikes from a 'has been' company.

mtbr member
    Well, on the bright side - mid range components have never been better.
    Stuff like Deore/SLX, X7, RS Reba and alike don't cost that much and work great, much better than more expensive stuff years ago.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I think it's mostly been covered, but yes, the economy had a huge impact on ordering, and it does need to be remembered that it isn't JUST Cannondale in the mix. It's all the various and sundry parts suppliers they deal with, experiencing the same supply and demand concerns, and feeling that from all the brands THEY deal with.

The whole industry hit the brakes pretty hard the last two seasons, pardoning the pun....

As for costs skyrocketing? Don't blame Cannondale. You know that saying about pointing a finger at someone ending up with 3 pointing back at you?

Blame the consumer. The vapid knuckle dragging, mouth breathing chant that we need more gears, less weight, more carbon, faster, stronger, lighter. BS. None of those things make anyone who works for a living and races on weekends, any more competitive than they were last year, two years ago, whatever.

Frankly the whole racing driving the industry thing can go away any time it wants if you ask me. Give me a bike that works well, holds up, doesn't wear out prematurely, and doesn't have a bunch of plastic, disposable, non recyclable crap on it, and I'd be quite happy, regardless of whether Johnny Fastguy of the week rode it and declared it good. Straighten the brim of your hat and get off my damn lawn!

Add to that the lawyers, doctors and industry insider deals that allowed folks like Sram to actually convince themselves that a $425 cassette was a great idea, and there's your issue.

Bought a Cannondale Goodboy years ago. Carbon Lefty, polished, MUSA frame, full XTR kit (even the cassette), custom polished for Cannondale by Shimano, Thomson post, DT Swiss rear hub, Mavic 819's, there wasn't a house brand POS widget on that bike anywhere.

If memory serves, full MSRP was just under $5K.

Buy a Trigger now, and it's overseas sourced, buncha house branded stuff for "support parts" and a mid level FSA crank, and XT. Same price.

We are the problem.

The industry feeds us less quality for the same money, and we lap it up like hungry kittens at the milk bowl.

I agree with a few here. Don't be the first. Be the last. Wait till it's on closeout. Wait till the industry is crapping it's panties under the weight of it's own overpriced, underpurchased tripe. Then show them who actually runs the show. The little guy, works for a living and saves for months or years to buy their bream bike, consumer.

Sorry, rant over, it's still early here
    I'm not in here that often anymore, but when I do, I come across one of your posts making me believe that common sense still exists.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Bike prices in some high end models are simply stupid and yes in midle range you got low spec components than in the past , in the case of Cannondale when they moved the production to Asia ,we have not assist to a down priced but to a downgrade of components in some models ,and yes i miss original designs of cdale ,genuine ones , perhaps a new fork too was a great move , and im guessing they are moving to a specialized way ,marketing, same geometries, and shock patent with some bikes has trigger , jekyll and claymore seems all equals ,are the designers of cdale hostages of company policies or the ideas are gone ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I roll a 2010 RZ 120. This bike replaced the 04 Scalpel 3000. Cannondale has progressively moved away from their customer. The abscense of innovation, the total desertion of a network of service representatives. The Scalpel and RZ I've owned are under weighted for their intended purpose. Because they lack a durable design my bike goes out of tune quickly. I've broken 2 chainstays, they warranteed the scalpel and told me I could buy a new chainstay for the RZ, as long as it was not the same color as the origonal.

In a city of 2 + million residents ( San Diego), Cannondale has decided to rep their bikes through a Trek store. What kind of decision is that, must be the total commitment to service you should expect from Cannondale. Cannondale have been creative in the past, today they are getting their doors blown off by Specialized, Turner, Santa Cruz, Marin, Norco, Ibis, do I have to keep going....

My response is long winded , only because I have loved this company. They sold to Doral and died. Doral should stick to selling baby seats if they don't what to be commited to me an my feollow mtbr's.

D. Gerous says" this sounds like a isolated dealer issue and not the company". Basic business understands culture starts at the top and moves down to the consumer. Doral Blows.

mtbr member
    The lack of innovation , new designs ,technologies ,are making thinking if it makes sense this kind of strategy , perhaps the 2014 catalog was the most poor since 15 years ago , they have renamed the rush into a supermarket 29er bike , they dont have a 110mm or 120mm bike to compete with others , they are the last big brand to enter on the 650 b market , hoping for great news and you see a jekyll equal to the 26 model only redesigned , you have the supersix evo making entrey carbon road and at same time high level model ,what the hell is going on ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast