mtbr member
    Jan 2004

anyone compare flash carbon 26 and 29

I just switched to my older Caffeine for my ride yesterday after a week on my Flash carbon 29er 2 and wow is its ride harsh. I knew it was harsher than my 06 Optimo SI team but it seemed brutally harsh.

Has anyone ridden the Flash Carbon 26 for a ride comparison with the 29er. The flash carbon 29er has nice compliance. the seat post definately flexes. my Caffeine has a huge 31.6 Thompson and there's no flex.

so is it the 29" wheels or the carbon or both that gives it this compliance?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    A bit of everything, the SAVE post is one very comfy post, ask the guy riding behind you to check the post, it moves all the time so absorbs a lot more than a 31.6 rigid post can, add other benefits of the carbon frame, the 29" rolling better over smaller obstacles and you get a recipe for a smooth ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'd be interested to hear this too...I suspect the larger wheels / tyres help a bit but that frame / post combination is amazing. I did a 6 hour singletrack race on my new Flash 29er Carbon at the weekend and the bike just seemed to float over the top of roots.....so smooth! I rode a 26er full suss for years and would say my 29er Flash Carbon is almost as comfortable (and way faster, oh and 9lbs lighter!)

As for the SAVE post, I can't believe how much it moves, I find sometimes the flex can sort of build up a rhythm on flat climbs and put you off your pedal stroke a bit but I'm getting used to it and definitely worth it for the comfort off road. I still get the "floatyness" from the bike over roots when stood up, though, so I think the frame must be flexing quite a bit and it's not just the SAVE post flexing.