Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Anyone been out on a Alloy Flash 29er?

Lots of comments in this forum about the carbon, but I'm looking for a Hardtail 29er in the $14-1700 range. Thoughts are, Flash 3, GF X-cal, Stumpjump comp, ect.Anyone have any saddle time with an Alloy flash? Also know of an approximate weight, esp. compared to the other bikes I listed. Pics r cool with me. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    They have been slow to ship. I have not seen one as a result.

LA CHÈVRE
    There are a few here with some, all seemed pretty thrilled as far as I remember.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Hope

I bought a Close Out 2009 Caffine 2 29er which is almost the Same Bike as the Flash 3. I'm putting Geax Sauaro's, a new Seat (wider) and a Stan's Kit Straight away.

2010 Flash 3 29er
    http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...3-Flash-29er-3

2009 Caffine 2 29er
    http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...ame-technology

These are great race bikes, the 2010 Flash 3's are behine on production May 26th is the next Batch.

I owe $300 more on Mine I will give a ride report then
    SF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone been out on a Alloy Flash 29er?-2009-caffine.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

LA CHÈVRE
    While the paintjobs look alike, the Flash is a completely new frame compared to the 2009...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Hope

It has Steeper Angles and the new Batches will be made in Taiwan (makes a difference to some). Look at the links on my last post all the differences are listed. The rear section of the frame does look a bit different on the new on. Even the Parts Specs are fairly Close.

Mine is going on Stans Flows with a Chris King rear Hub I'm gonna cut out of another wheel I have on a 26er.
    SF

2009 Caffeine 2 Made in the USA

2010 Flash 3 Made in Taiwan
    Yes I would buy a Flash as my Rock Hopper 29er is Made in Taiwan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone been out on a Alloy Flash 29er?-img01165.jpg  

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    I almost forgot, the Caffeine 2 I bought in XL weighs 26.11lbs no pedals Stock.
    Not bad, the Flash 3 should be something like that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My flash 3 was made in Bedford PA.
    "The small minded, the rage blinded, and the devils behind it."

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Hope

If you HAVE a Flash It's probably Made here, if you are getting one of the New Batch they will be made in Taiwan.

I hope they don't stop doing the Double Pass Welds, seems that they are foucusing the race level stuff to the Carbon Framed Flash bikes.

Let's see your Flash 3 Pics Pics Pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Um, none of the 2010 Flashes will be made overseas. ALL of them will be made in Bedford.

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    I was told otherwise by a Cannondale Retailer. They are gonna stop making bikes here altogether. Even the Carbon ones are supposed to be made overseas. Actually two retailers have told me this.

Check this link out
    http://www.feedthehabit.com/mountain...ilt-in-taiwan/

and this one
    http://urbanvelo.org/cannondale-clos...on-facilities/

Here a thread in the subject
    Cannondale Taiwan and where its all going.

Do you have any supporting information indecating the Flash will be made here? These links state they are gonna be done in Bedford this year.

According to this link all 2011 models will be Non Us Bikes
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/...ifficult_90148

2011 production probably starts in June to be ready for fall.
    Last edited by Steel Freak; 03-29-2010 at 09:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've got a Med. Alloy Flash 29 1 frameset as a warranty replacement for an '08 Caffeine 2. It still has the HMIUSA statement on the inside of both seat stays. Here's a crappy cell phone picture.

A few comments. Had to install a -5 deg 90mm stem. Felt stretched out and taller than the Caffeine. I clip my heels on the flatter chain stays occasionally. The rear 29x2.2 Nevegal that's in the picture was removed. Tire clearance on the seat tube is tight. Only 1 bottle cage. Overall, I like the performance so far. First race in 2 weeks.

JD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone been out on a Alloy Flash 29er?-flash29.jpg  

2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

I want to ride
    The 2010 Flash is a totally different frame than the 2009 Caffeine. Both are made in the US.
    My size Large weighed in at 23 1/2 out of box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone been out on a Alloy Flash 29er?-flash-29er-3.jpg  

Anyone been out on a Alloy Flash 29er?-flash-29er-2.jpg  

Anyone been out on a Alloy Flash 29er?-flash-29er-1.jpg  

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by pd406
    The 2010 Flash is a totally different frame than the 2009 Caffeine. Both are made in the US.
    My size Large weighed in at 23 1/2 out of box.
    That's a good looking bike. That level flash come with a nice parts kit. I'm gonna bring mine up to about that level.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes, production for '11 will be overseas but all 2010 Flash Alloy models (including those made in June) will be made in Bedford.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I also was looking at all the bikes the OP was talking about. X-Cal pretty much out of stock (and I live an hour away from Trek HQ's), Cannondale Flash's out of stock with only 9 scheduled to be made in the first batch for North America. The Stumpy Comp is the only one that a local dealer has in house. Test rode it yesterday and I gotta say I enjoyed it thoroughly. Maybe I'm better off looking at a 26er again?

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by zerocool33
    I also was looking at all the bikes the OP was talking about. X-Cal pretty much out of stock (and I live an hour away from Trek HQ's), Cannondale Flash's out of stock with only 9 scheduled to be made in the first batch for North America. The Stumpy Comp is the only one that a local dealer has in house. Test rode it yesterday and I gotta say I enjoyed it thoroughly. Maybe I'm better off looking at a 26er again?
    No your not better off with a 26er. Give it a try you will like it. Here in Phoenix you will have to wait until June to get a Flash with a Lefty. None of the dealers have one and many of the next batch are spoken for. I saw this on the dealers computer. I bought last years because of this and the $400 savings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thx for all the info. I'm pretty sure I'll stick with the 29er. Unfortunatley, (for availablility sake), I'm starting to rule out the Specialized, mostly because has a 90mm fork and I want 80. I really like the Flash, but dislike the graphics. Maybe I'll wait. Maybe I'll go used, or upgrade a cobia. Screw it, maybe I'll just go Flash carbon and be on something I don't deserve!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just picked up the 2010 Flash 29er 3. Can't wait to get out and ride. I demoed the 2009 29er 1 for nearly a month last summer and absolutely loved it. This one is not nearly as extravagant but should be similar. Our LBS here in VT has them in stock.

BTW - it is made in USA

mtbr member
    I finnaly pickedup my 2010 flash29er-3, took forever to find one in an XL size, got lucky someone ordered one and didn't want it. So far i put an easton riser bar and a WTB seat. i had an 08 caffine 29er before, They really changed this bike a bunch, i love it.

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Good job!

That bike looks good. I plan on getting an Easton Rzer myself (either XC Carbon or EA 70 in white) My stock bar dont have enough back sweep. Iiking the White Fork)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I got a 2010 medium 29er 3 on Friday. After a few initial rides, I am more impressed with it than my 2009 GF X-Cal. Jury is still out, but so far, so good. FYI: There is (or was) a large 2010 29er 3 on Craig's List. $1400. Guy says he rode it one time on the ad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Des Moines, Iowa CL ad. Left location out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have a flash 29er alum 2 and I feel really good about the purchase a couple of months in. I've done fairly minor changes, the biggest is that I'm currently converting to tubeless. I've been riding more than previous years and generally feel pretty good on the bike since it fits me pretty well. For the heck of it, I took my old tank (26er, FS) out this weekend and came to the conclusion that I probably need to sell the tank, I'm just not a fan of riding it anymore.

mtbr member
    After waiting for a carbon, and getting depressed without a bike...an unspoken for Flash 1 Alloy showed up at the shop. I got a good deal on an XTR kit and built it up as shown in the picture.

Love the bike, it's done well for me in races and I really feel that the Lefty fork is THE way to go for 29ers, saves about 3/4 lb over most other 29er xc forks. The Alloy 29er product line is likely the lightest per dollar of any bike brand. The carbon frame is approximately 1 lb lighter still.

There are only two things not to like about the bikes that I can see...

-Can't go narrower than XTR crank.
    -Tight clearance; tire-front der.

Pics are posted elsewhere as well...but here you go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone been out on a Alloy Flash 29er?-dsc_0113.jpg  

Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast