Its only 1" on the map!

Anyone on a 1FG for a while?

I interested if anyone has some insight on how thier 1FG is holding up and general impression. It is worth it to make your first SS bike?

Bill Porter
    www.mountainbikebill.com

mtbr member

... and if we just ... 1fg

Bill , I have had my 1fg for about 3 months now.
    It has seen nearly everything that a xc bike would .
    It has done great . I had to take the bottom bracket assembly apart once to regrease it after a wet ride . But I have been very happey with it .
    I have turned 2 bikes into singlespeeders .
    One was an old Novara , the other a Gunnar Rockhound.
    I used deraillers as chain tensioners on those.
    I sold those to others who enjoyed them and then bought the 1fg .
    I really like it and it has done will for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbill
    I It is worth it to make your first SS bike?
    I have had one for about a month and half. (2004 model) I love it. I am a clyde at 6'5" and 230 and it is holding up great. I have the headshock model and I love the handling. Very secure in high speed downhills and very confidence inspiring. More than my Klein gearie so I am making some changes to it to relax the handling like the 1FG.

I ride the 1FG almost exclusively on local, short rides now (15 miles and under). As I get in better shape the Klein may rarely see action.

EBB is definatly the way to go. The HeadShock is very rigid and reliable... love the lockout on top of the stem.

I love the bike and have been happy with it so far!

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been riding my 1FG (2003 model) for about a month after riding a converted SS (rigid cannondale) for a lot longer. I wanted a front fork, the disc brakes were appealing, vertical drop-outs add ease to trail side flat repair, and I like lightweight bikes. The cannondale had the complete package. I have had good experience with the headshok on my Scalpel---very easy to maintain, precise steering, great lockout---and I don't expect the 1FG to be any different over the long term.

The 1FG feels more efficient than my converted singlespeed and it's a joy to ride although I am considering putting on a 17-19 tooth cog. It is a very stable ride, both in the climbing and descending. On other singlespeeds I have had issues with rear wheel traction when climbing but the geometry of the 1FG works for me. In terms of durability, so far so good...you can't really tell after a month but I haven't had to do anything other than lubing and cleaning it. I am quite happy with this bike.