jbf
    mtbr member

Anybody built up a Gemini as a trail bike ?

I am able to get a great deal on a 2002 Gemini 2000 frame that is like new. I think it was a warrantee replacement. I was thinking about building up a long travel trail bike using my 2002 Z1 Freeride fork. I am not a freerider, but I do ride some very rough trails and am looking for a rigid single pivot, long travel frame.

Has anyone built up a lighter version of the Gemini for trail use?

Out riding my Scalpel

Gemini bikes can handle trails too!

I have friends that ride the Gemini for trial bikes and love them. They make a good all-round mountain trail bike, with lots of travel. Actually they aren't as heavy as some bikes with lots of travel. I believe my friends weighs in at 37 lbs. and he kicks my azz on the downhills. I always let him go 1st. I just ride behind him with my little bad azz Jekyll.

Are you talking to me?

I have.

I have even used it at a 24hr race. This frame is a grrrreat trail bike. It is currently hovering around 34lb.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    gfy

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Good bike.

Quote Originally Posted by jbf
    I am able to get a great deal on a 2002 Gemini 2000 frame that is like new. I think it was a warrantee replacement. I was thinking about building up a long travel trail bike using my 2002 Z1 Freeride fork. I am not a freerider, but I do ride some very rough trails and am looking for a rigid single pivot, long travel frame.

I got a good deal on a 2003 Gemini 2000 and it is a great all around bike. I am running a 60mm FSA stem and I have to contort myself to keep the front wheel on the ground on the steeps. This is while riding with the breakout in 5" mode. I would suggest a stem of at least 70mm if you are going to be doing more xc than freeriding with your Gemini. With some light tires you can get the Gemini into the mid thirties. Mine is around 38lbs with a burly freeride spec right now.

Good luck.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... trail bike

I use my gemini as my everything bike, I had a 04 2000 which I just changed parts to Thompson post and Easton EA70 bars Diabolous stem, and have played around with diferent tyres, seem to be settling on Nokian NBX 2.3". Havent got it at the mo awaiting a new frame and shock and missing it big time, I'm not the best rider though.

jbf
    mtbr member

Do you know what the frame weighs ...

... with or without shock? What size?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Does anyone know What the frame weighs?

I don't care about the size. I just want to know a ballpark.

thx,
    MK
    '03 Epic, White Bros VT 1.3, Avid disc-F/R, Nokons, X.0, Truvative Hussfelts, Crosslands, UST Michelins
    in progress... '98 CAAD3 C'dale Xvert-R, Xt/Lx ders, XT Pods, Coda cranks, Spec Stout Wheels, Dirt control tires

ಠ_ಠ

Why single-pivot?

Just curious as to why you were looking for a single-pivot frame.

mtbr member
    I don't remember what model year Gemini it was, but the LBS lent me a demo Gemini with the Fox Float rear shock and the Lefty Max fork on the front and I demo'd it as a trail bike. It was the silver polished finished model.

It made a good trail bike I thought. My only complaint was that it felt longish in wheelbase compared to the Superlight and wasn't as snappy of a turning bike on tight switchbacks. Other than that, I was able to clear stuff that I was hesitant before on my SL.

If I had the dough, I would one of the new Prophets as a trail bike. The Lefty Max TPC+ is still one of the best riding forks I've had the pleasure to ride.
    Give me a big scoop of Manteca!

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Trail bike

I could save 200g by replacing the rims from XM 321 I quite like the extra weight of a bigger bike although from the reports I'm getting that Prophet will take some beating, makes me wonder if I should get one....

Are you talking to me?

I am unsure.

... with or without shock? What size?
    I weighed my frame at one point, and I believe that it was roughly 7.5lb with the 5th coil and a steel spring.
    gfy

Are you talking to me?

That was the 2003 Gemini 1000.

[QUOTE=partially hydrogenated]I don't remember what model year Gemini it was, but the LBS lent me a demo Gemini with the Fox Float rear shock and the Lefty Max fork on the front and I demo'd it as a trail bike. It was the silver polished finished model.

That is the bike that I started with. Swapped the Float for the 5th coil over, the Marta's for my older Hayes 8/6 combo, the post for a Thompson, and the bar/stem combo.
    gfy