Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for that Mendon I has kinda talked my way out of doing it!!! Ah well nothing for it but to get buying. So I'm looking for a 200mm i-2-i shock, yes? I'll try and get some photo's up today of both bikes and ther shock mounts, you guys can tell me what's what.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My regular SV and the first SV I rebuilt. Comments please.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Slayer
    what all the hype was about. I made it out and there and got to ride the XL Uber V. Quite fun, and I had a blast out there on a crisp late winter's night on the thing. It pedals nicely and had all the squish you'd really need, although I did not get to really launch or drop anything. And it was much lighter than I thought it would be. The trail was a little different than the rocky stuff I'm used to, but I felt very comfortable on the V, and it makes me think I should have gone with the XL instead of the large way back in '99. Making me think twice about dropping the $$$ on a large Uber conversion that may not really be the ideal fit for me. Not ruling anything out yet, just prioritizing my bike cash supply.
    Next time I get out there I expect rw420 and jdcamb to be there!! C'mon guys, represent!! It wasn't that cold, but my lungs started to feel it a little after an hour and 20 minutes out there in the 20 degree night air. And that big capper of a hill at the very end was just plain mean Mendon. I forgave you at the popping of the first brew, though.
    Yeah, what jdcamb said. The last thing I had heard was:
    I should know in a couple hours ....if the ditching will happen.
    Next thing I heard was that you had gone out riding with Mendon. And then I found out that you were staying only 4.5 miles from my house! I rode Thursday afternoon but if I had known your schedule, I would have done my best to get out that night. And I could have brought a 'big boy' UberV with a Z1 FR SL for you to try. But I'm glad to hear that you had a good time. I'm 6' and I ride an XL so I have to agree with you about size. They also get a bit shorter in the top tube as you slacken them up with a bigger fork. The good news is that the XLs seem to sell for less on ebay and there is one coming up in a few days...

I am curious though, where would one go for a conference in Palmyra??
    And how about Wegmans?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyslimfast
    My regular SV and the first SV I rebuilt. Comments please.
    OK, let me see if I can help out. I'm not used to looking at mediums but it looks like your black one is a '99 with short tabs. If it has a 165mm (6.5 inch) i2i shock then you are all set. That's the best contender for a conversion. You need a 190mm (7.5 inch) i2i shock and a good trailbike fork.

The silver one looks like a '98 and is definitely long-tab. If it does not have disc tabs on the swingarm and it has a 5.75 inch i2i then I'm certain about it.

As for the swingarm discussion: The CAAD4 will work. Especially if you are a lighter rider and I suspect that you are as you are on a M frame. As I stated before, I prefer the beefier ones for a couple reasons. The biggest reason is for tire clearance. I've had issues with tire rub on the CAAD4s with 2.3" tires. If your wheel is tight and dished properly, then it probably won't be an issue. The other reason is strength. I'm sure that Cannondale had some good reasons for discontinuing the CAAD4 swingarms when they increased the travel on the Jekyll to 135mm. The newer Jekyll swingarms feel stiffer while riding. The CAAD4 I cracked last year was on my 135mm Jekyll and I was dropping about 3' to flat at speed. My rider weight is about 200lbs.
    On the other hand, the greater the travel, the less stress on the swingarm as the UberV will likely bottom-out less frequently. Bottom-out is certainly the point at which you are putting the most stress on the swingarm. Also, I wear a knee brace due to an old injury so my landings were not always perfectly straight on the Jekyll. This certainly could also be a factor. Since I am now on the UberV, my landings are better as there is no top tube to interfere with my knee brace. The bottom line is that you can decide for yourself. Go ahead and build the Uber V with the CAAD4 swingarm and you can always change it later if you want to. There's my 2 cents, don't spend it all in the same place...

mtbr member

Yup, you're right

First of all, yes, you guys are right, I did not give as much ample notice as I could have. That was partly due to my coworker not letting me know if he was coming or not. And its partly because I just sort of forgot to follow up my last post.
    Secondly, I wasn't sure I was going to ride. I really wanted to, but I'm nursing a couple bruised ribs, which the only reason I was a little hesitant thursday to commit to riding when Mendon asked me at his shop. I rode anyway, and they didn't really hurt that much until just near the end of the ride, so that's kind of a lame excuse too.
    So yes, My bad, but there is a chance I could be back in July.
    RW - I'd love to try your V, but I've been wanting to try a Lefty for a while and I got my chance thurs. It was set up a little soft for me but I still liked the feel of it. I did not experience any weird distraction from having one side of the fork seemingly missing since it was really dark and I was focusing on the small splash of light my cheap Vista light threw out there and I couldn't see the bike. Seems like that might take a little getting used to when you are expecting fork parts on both sides of the front end and not just the Left side. It was much sturdier than I thought it would be. The "conference" was on held for local secondary science teachers at the school on Hyde st. in Palmyra. I gave one workshop for a few teachers on basic electric circuits and another for several more teachers on the structure of the atom, using pretty cool educational products that my company designs, makes and sells to schools. The Palmyra school system has a couple of our products and called us up to see if we wanted to put on some workshops at their little teacher in-sevice day, and that's what brought me there. The co worker who couldn't make up his mind is the sales rep for the area, which also includes all of New England. He went to a much bigger thing that was going on in Providence RI, so he sent me to REPRESENT the company. I've been doing this for a few years, so its no big deal to pull it off myself. I'm not huge on the sales pitch part of things, but teachers warm up to someone who also was a teacher and honestly believes in a product. Real "salesy" types typically get pretty much ignored by teachers. Its one of those professions that if you've never put in at least one year up in front of the class, its hard to understand how 180 days can seem so exhausting. And I made more bartending at 25 than I did teaching full-time at 30. So now I write, develop, and teach teachers. And obviously I get to travel a little, which for now is pretty cool, I think.
    And by the way, Wegman's rocked my world!! I usually won't get sushi from a grocery store, but they guy made it for me right there and was totally friendly and was talking with me the whole time. I wish we had one around here, because there was so much I would have loved to try. That place is awesome, at least to someone who has never seen it. Next time, I'm going to the really big one on the other side of Pittsford.
    JD - I've never ridden Vietnam, but its on my list of spots to check out and I'd be psyched to come down there and meet you. If you have time, like an hour and a half for driving, the trails on the North Shore are worth the trip. Lynn Woods is legendary, I guaranty a memorable ride. All the other stuff up here off of rt. 128 is the hidden local stash of goodness. Consider it, if possible. And that goes for all you guys up there. If you make your way out here, you will not be disapointed.
    Wrecker of fine things

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    First of all, yes, you guys are right, I did not give as much ample notice as I could have. That was partly due to my coworker not letting me know if he was coming or not. And its partly because I just sort of forgot to follow up my last post.
    Secondly, I wasn't sure I was going to ride. I really wanted to, but I'm nursing a couple bruised ribs, which the only reason I was a little hesitant thursday to commit to riding when Mendon asked me at his shop. I rode anyway, and they didn't really hurt that much until just near the end of the ride, so that's kind of a lame excuse too.
    So yes, My bad, but there is a chance I could be back in July.
    RW - I'd love to try your V, but I've been wanting to try a Lefty for a while and I got my chance thurs. It was set up a little soft for me but I still liked the feel of it. I did not experience any weird distraction from having one side of the fork seemingly missing since it was really dark and I was focusing on the small splash of light my cheap Vista light threw out there and I couldn't see the bike. Seems like that might take a little getting used to when you are expecting fork parts on both sides of the front end and not just the Left side. It was much sturdier than I thought it would be. The "conference" was on held for local secondary science teachers at the school on Hyde st. in Palmyra. I gave one workshop for a few teachers on basic electric circuits and another for several more teachers on the structure of the atom, using pretty cool educational products that my company designs, makes and sells to schools. The Palmyra school system has a couple of our products and called us up to see if we wanted to put on some workshops at their little teacher in-sevice day, and that's what brought me there. The co worker who couldn't make up his mind is the sales rep for the area, which also includes all of New England. He went to a much bigger thing that was going on in Providence RI, so he sent me to REPRESENT the company. I've been doing this for a few years, so its no big deal to pull it off myself. I'm not huge on the sales pitch part of things, but teachers warm up to someone who also was a teacher and honestly believes in a product. Real "salesy" types typically get pretty much ignored by teachers. Its one of those professions that if you've never put in at least one year up in front of the class, its hard to understand how 180 days can seem so exhausting. And I made more bartending at 25 than I did teaching full-time at 30. So now I write, develop, and teach teachers. And obviously I get to travel a little, which for now is pretty cool, I think.
    And by the way, Wegman's rocked my world!! I usually won't get sushi from a grocery store, but they guy made it for me right there and was totally friendly and was talking with me the whole time. I wish we had one around here, because there was so much I would have loved to try. That place is awesome, at least to someone who has never seen it. Next time, I'm going to the really big one on the other side of Pittsford.
    JD - I've never ridden Vietnam, but its on my list of spots to check out and I'd be psyched to come down there and meet you. If you have time, like an hour and a half for driving, the trails on the North Shore are worth the trip. Lynn Woods is legendary, I guaranty a memorable ride. All the other stuff up here off of rt. 128 is the hidden local stash of goodness. Consider it, if possible. And that goes for all you guys up there. If you make your way out here, you will not be disapointed.
    Slayer, I'm so glad you had fun, they were bummed to find they had missed you, but as you indicate, there is always another time! That last hill is a kicker, lame excuses or not= Makes the beer taste that much better! I'd love to let you do a lefty with the right spring in it, just for comparisons sake. Hope you'll be back soon, Wegmans misses you= It's true in any profession, those that have been there, make far better slaes reps, than those who are just good sellers. Cannondale had a rep in our area, back in the day, whose primary claim to fame was many years as the Dial soap sale rep, (wow, not) He didn't know a drop out from a chainstay, but would happily argue with you (incorrectly). Yup, we hated him, he didn't last long! Rock on, eat some lobster for us.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Uber V Cripp
    The Evil Eye! made me bump this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg EE.JPG (23.3 KB, 1605 views)

mtbr member

Yo jdcamb

So, are you going to make your way out here? The riding has been pretty sweet.
    Wrecker of fine things

Uber V Cripp
    So, are you going to make your way out here? The riding has been pretty sweet.
    I have some health concerns that prevent me from riding right now. I will be in MA for my brothers wedding in may. I hope to be able to ride by then....

Devolution is real!
    Any more super v's out there?

He who follows his heart.
    Hey troops. Hope everyone's taking it easy.
    Here's a question for all you Uber V experts to ponder.........
    Has the possibilty of doing a Jekyll swing arm conversion to the <A HREF="http://www.stewartscyclecity.com/images/photos/898-9871_IMG.jpg">Super V DH series</A> occured to anyone?
    I think I'm correct in saying that these came with 6" travel as standard, but the rear swing arm looks pretty bulky/heavy, the rear disc mount is pretty messy and you need an e-type mounting front mech (if you choose to run one).
    Agreed that these bikes were DH bikes, but surely the only difference between this frame and the standard xc Uber V's is the extra support bar? By the way, I think the weight of this frame/swing arm set up is 9.4lbs. How does this compare with the standard Uber V?
    I reckon that this is the logical next step in the Uber V appreciation society; after all, how many people (who truly know about and appreciate bikes) stop for a yap about the Uber V? Think how many more would go "Oh my God, what the *&^%$ is that bike?" if they saw an Uber V DH set up for XC or the now general, all covering phrase "All mountain".
    Mighty impressive me thinks. But what is the general opinion on this question?
    I would appreciate your thoughts and comments on this matter.......
    Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathel
    Hey troops. Hope everyone's taking it easy.
    Here's a question for all you Uber V experts to ponder.........
    Has the possibilty of doing a Jekyll swing arm conversion to the <A HREF="http://www.stewartscyclecity.com/images/photos/898-9871_IMG.jpg">Super V DH series</A> occured to anyone?
    I think I'm correct in saying that these came with 6" travel as standard, but the rear swing arm looks pretty bulky/heavy, the rear disc mount is pretty messy and you need an e-type mounting front mech (if you choose to run one).
    Agreed that these bikes were DH bikes, but surely the only difference between this frame and the standard xc Uber V's is the extra support bar? By the way, I think the weight of this frame/swing arm set up is 9.4lbs. How does this compare with the standard Uber V?
    I reckon that this is the logical next step in the Uber V appreciation society; after all, how many people (who truly know about and appreciate bikes) stop for a yap about the Uber V? Think how many more would go "Oh my God, what the *&^%$ is that bike?" if they saw an Uber V DH set up for XC or the now general, all covering phrase "All mountain".
    Mighty impressive me thinks. But what is the general opinion on this question?
    I would appreciate your thoughts and comments on this matter.......
    Steve
    That's a question I have certainly thought about. I suspect that the modern swingarm and trailbike fork would make for decent geometry and reasonable bottom bracket height but there is no way to know without having one to play with. It's difficult to tell from pictures where the shock tabs are placed compared to a regular frame. It would definitely be pretty burly although I can't imagine needing a stronger or stiffer frame than my regular Uber V. And they never made one big enough for me anyway. FYI, my XL frame and Jekyll swingarm weigh about 6.5 lbs without the shock or pivot bolt. I believe that a pivot bolt weighs a couple ounces.

Thanks for your reply.
    I'll hopefully attach a couple of pics, one showing the frame how it weighs at 9.4lbs, ans another of the swing arm disc mount. It's a frame I'm thinking of buying, but it all depends on the $$$$$$ as always.....

Just having another look at the image just posted, and the link on my earlier post, and I notice that the mountings are in different places on the two frames, although both are 4000 DH.
    I wonder why????????

I'm disrespectful to dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by toyota200x
    Any more super v's out there?

Here's a couple crappy pics of my '96 Super V 2000. I bought it brand new when i worked at a shop, and had it up until 2004, when I parted the bike out to build my dream Bontrager and gave the frame/fork to a friend . It was one of my favorites, and I really missed it.

The good news is that he emailed me today to say he's giving it back to me. After 2+ years of it sitting in his garage, he decided he'll never build it up. Now it's up to me to decide which way to go on it: Uber V style with a new long travel fork and a 5th Element, or a basic rebuild with a Super Fatty Ultra DL and a new shock out back. I still have the original DD50 fork for it and the Cannondale reducer cups are still pressed in, so I have plenty of ways I could go with this thing. All my other bikes are either full rigid or hardtails with a 63mm fork, so even 100mm/80mm of travel will seem like a Cadillac to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun K
    Here's a couple crappy pics of my '96 Super V 2000. I bought it brand new when i worked at a shop, and had it up until 2004, when I parted the bike out to build my dream Bontrager and gave the frame/fork to a friend . It was one of my favorites, and I really missed it.

The good news is that he emailed me today to say he's giving it back to me. After 2+ years of it sitting in his garage, he decided he'll never build it up. Now it's up to me to decide which way to go on it: Uber V style with a new long travel fork and a 5th Element, or a basic rebuild with a Super Fatty Ultra DL and a new shock out back. I still have the original DD50 fork for it and the Cannondale reducer cups are still pressed in, so I have plenty of ways I could go with this thing. All my other bikes are either full rigid or hardtails with a 63mm fork, so even 100mm/80mm of travel will seem like a Cadillac to me.

I'd Uber it, a blast from the past is not what your looking for in your old friend, in my opinion. A new love awaits=

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun K

Start looking for a swingarm - you definitely won't regret going Uber. BTW, it looks like a '97.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hello all. I've been following this thread for quite a while and I must say it has got me hooked! Actually I allready have bought an old Super V frame and have been riding it for a while. At the moment it's build from some old or cheap parts I had laying around. The fork is an old 100mm Z1. I've plans on giving it a ligther build in the future.
    I'm just a bit concerned about the frame size. I'm 5'9" and my Super V frame is L and I'm not sure if M would fit me better. I know old Cannondales used to have small sizing but some years ago I had M size Santacruz Superlight and it fit like a glove. It's top tube was the same length as in M size Super V. I'm in the process of experimenting with shorter stems on my SV.I ride mostly technical trails, lots of rocks and roots but very litlle elevation. So any comment's about the frame size?

Quote Originally Posted by rw420
    Start looking for a swingarm - you definitely won't regret going Uber. BTW, it looks like a '97.
    I only worked at that shop in 1996, and I bought it in April/May. The 97's weren't even out yet.

Why would I need a new swingarm? I thought I could use the existing arm and redril the shock mount on the front half of the bike?

mtbr member
    That would make it into an "Uber Light" as some have referred to them. You would need a 6.5" eye to eye shock to get about 5" of travel out of her. To go all the way to 6" of travel you'd need the newer swingarm and the longer shock.

A good example of an Uber Light.

So a new CAAD4 swingarm would make it an Uberlight? Hmm, "light" anything doesn't bode well for a 6'2" 230# person on a mountain bike. I can still get the long travel from the original swingarm right?

mtbr member
    Well "light" in that you don't have the 6" of travel the full coversion gets you, not how strong the frame is. I've been beating on mine for some time using a newer swingarm and full length tabs on my 97 without any problems and i'm certainly not light or gently on it.

Yes you can get more travel off of the original swingarm. My cousin's Super V above was built up in this style using my original swingarm and a 2002 frame i got over the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbr
    Well "light" in that you don't have the 6" of travel the full coversion gets you, not how strong the frame is. I've been beating on mine for some time using a newer swingarm and full length tabs on my 97 without any problems and i'm certainly not light or gently on it.

Yes you can get more travel off of the original swingarm. My cousin's Super V above was built up in this style using my original swingarm and a 2002 frame i got over the winter.

Got it, makes sense. I still think 6" of travel is to much for me though. What I do to this thing will depend largely on cost. If the Super Duper Hype Deluxe Fatty fork is serious $, I will just look into a regular 1.125" fork and a longer rear shock. Does anyone know the list price from Cannondale for the 80mm headshok fork?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Here is my newly rebuit V800. The frame, fork, seatpost, and stem were a gift from a friend. The rest was purchased to complete the package.My first bike in over ten years and it feels great to ride again. Can't wait until I get more miles in this summer. I only get about 30-35 a week now.

Wil

mtbr member

99 v 900

This is awesome. I have a '99 900 and have been sick of the headshock for a few years now...to the point that I haven't ridden much in a few years. This year though, I have just purchased a 6.5 vanilla R to replace the stocker, and was going to get a 120mm marzocchi fork and cane creek headset. Then I found this thread. Now I'm looking at a marzocchi all mountain sl or am 2 and have not decided on rear shock until I get the jekyll swingarm. But until then, this is great because I was considering selling the rig soon. Great bikes guys!

Edit: so I'll be selling the super fatty D headsock (great condition-black to gray fade), the original vanilla( great shape) and the replacement vanilla R ( arriving tomorrow from ebay) PM me if interested
    Last edited by fourtyounce; 05-02-2006 at 05:05 PM.

mtbr member

which jekyll swingarm?

I called my LBS and asked how much an '04 Jekyll swingarm would run me and he fired back, " Which Jekyll do you have? I explained what I was going to do, and he had no clue what I was talking about, but said there were 5 models to choose from. Afterwards I was thinking I'd need the swingarm from the model that uses the 7.5 i2i shock. Correct? As this is a special, non-refundable order, I had better know what I need because the arms run from $260 - $400 new, depending on the model.

Can someone clear this up for me? Thanks.
    Last edited by fourtyounce; 05-03-2006 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fourtyounce
    I called my LBS and asked how much an '04 Jekyll swingarm would run me and he fired back, " Which Jekyll do you have? I explained what I was going to do, and he had no clue what I was talking about, but said there were 5 models to choose from. Afterwards I was thinking I'd need the swingarm from the model that uses the 7.5 i2i shock. Correct? As this is a special, non-refundable order, I had better know what I need because the arms run from $260 - $400 new, depending on the model.

Can someone clear this up for me? Thanks.

At this point, there is only one, and your dealer is just having fun with you, kinda like a cat with a half dead mouse= True, there have been three, 1. the CAAD3, lightest, no longer made 2. the bonded flavor, avoid like the plague!!, no longer made, and 3. the current last generation like what is on the Cdale recumbent. The only variation is whether or not it has V brake posts or not. There is no "longer travel" iteration swingarm, don't even confuse the poor shop fellow with what you are doing, just order the part, pay, and get out= Some shops have a poor relationship with Cannondale, and the standard issue answer from Cannondale, to them is, sorry, there are none available. Let me know if that's the case, I can help, Good luck!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

i suck at riding
    May 2006
    hey folks, this is my first post up....

i ave a 97? SuperV700 lightly modded, however after breaking one of the brake bosses, my LBS (only cannondale dealer) was not able to get a replacement because they changed threads in 98 or 99 (???)

in any case, here it is...

i want to replace the swingarm with this:

however after reading up, i think this is the "bonded" type? how much and where could i find a caad4 swingarm?

however still need to obtain a rear shock...

how are people obtaining such long travel? just drilling out the tabs? i'd love ot learn, however this type of forum is a little tricky for me... (different layout thatn i'm used to)

would drilling out the tabs cause problems with structural integrity?
    Last edited by psyber_0ptix; 05-18-2006 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by psyber_0ptix
    hey folks, this is my first post up....

i ave a 97? SuperV700 lightly modded, however after breaking one of the brake bosses, my LBS (only cannondale dealer) was not able to get a replacement because they changed threads in 98 or 99 (???)

in any case, here it is...

i want to replace the swingarm with this:

however after reading up, i think this is the "bonded" type? how much and where could i find a caad4 swingarm?

however still need to obtain a rear shock...

how are people obtaining such long travel? just drilling out the tabs? i'd love ot learn, however this type of forum is a little tricky for me... (different layout thatn i'm used to)

would drilling out the tabs cause problems with structural integrity?

Hey there, welcome aboard! You are in a good position. Your bike has the longer tabs, needed for an Uber V. You must know that by cutting your tabs you are giving up all rights to warranty, but will have a sweet ride, and no it will not cause structural issues. You need a 7.5" eye to eye, 2" stroke shock, and will need to measure the distance between your shock mount tabs in mm's to get the info you need to get the right hardware. If you need a swing arm, eBay is an option, if you have a local Cannondale dealer, and they are in good communication with Cannondale, you can get a new swing arm through them. There will be ample replys soon about your situation, have fun with whatever you do. Nice bike by the way=

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

i suck at riding
    May 2006
    well, for now, i think i will go with the swingarm shown above, i ordered a coilover shock for pretty cheap thats 6.5e-e

the vanilla rc, however i need to see how this increase of travel goes before modifying. i'm afraid that maybe i have out grown my M frame and excessive travel on a small bike might not yield the ridability i desire....

but all in fairness, i'm still learning about all this stuff. i've dropped out of the mtb scene for a year and half and things have changed....

as far as my componentry, full shimano xt everywhere excpet xtr front deraillur, soon to equip with avid bb7 front disk brake. and new 9spd cassete
    my sachs grip shifts bit the dust last ride a year and half ago, and i just got lazy about fixing them... the xt's are in the mail.

this swingarm however is the first real mix and match i'll be performing. and i hope to utilize a longer travel shock should i feel my frame isnt too small

well, for now, i think i will go with the swingarm shown above

If you mean that bonded one, be very careful, a ton of those broke, and if you ride it hard, you will most assuredly do the same, just a word of warning, so you're not caught off guard. Good luck!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

i suck at riding
    May 2006
    thats all i have in my posession for now

until i sell my car and move i wont have much funds for a new swingarm.

does the Jekyll II/CAAD4 swingarm take the same shock (6.5 e-e) as the bonded?

just so i dont buy yet antoher shock....

does the Jekyll II/CAAD4 swingarm take the same shock (6.5 e-e) as the bonded?

just so i dont buy yet antoher shock....

Yes, one in the same. You'll be fine, just inspect it for cracks regularly, and don't use it too long!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2006

Super V 400

Hey out there, this is my first post, so forgive me if I am not following protocol, if there is any.

I have a Super V 400 ('00 model). I know it is one of the lower end ones, but I really love the bike and have ridden it hard for quite a few years now. It has a worthless rear shock and the head shock isn't quite as smooth. Plus the rest of the componetry is junk. I'm really struggling with whether to upgrade everything (new swinger shock and manitou black super fork) including componets - that I can get at wholesale cost, or just call it a back up bike and get a prophet 600.

Any body have any suggestions on what to do? I'm just having a hard time retiring the Super V, we have done a lot of riding together.

Hey out there, this is my first post, so forgive me if I am not following protocol, if there is any.

I have a Super V 400 ('00 model). I know it is one of the lower end ones, but I really love the bike and have ridden it hard for quite a few years now. It has a worthless rear shock and the head shock isn't quite as smooth. Plus the rest of the componetry is junk. I'm really struggling with whether to upgrade everything (new swinger shock and manitou black super fork) including componets - that I can get at wholesale cost, or just call it a back up bike and get a prophet 600.

Any body have any suggestions on what to do? I'm just having a hard time retiring the Super V, we have done a lot of riding together.
    Firstly, welcome aboard!

Here's what I would do if I were in your position:

1. Get the Jekyll swing arm, modify the mounting brackets as described previously to accept the longer travel shock (buy this too, btw!) - but be aware, again as mentioned above, this voids any warranty with Cannondale.

2. How's the paint work? To create a true jaw dropper, strip the frame of all components, tape up all the threads and take the frame back to bare metal and then get it powder coated a really laid back colour, matching the Jekyll swing arm of course! Graphics are pretty easy to find, or better still have made for you, as long as you take the bike along to the studio BEFORE it's stripped so the guys have something to work with!

3. Depending on your riding style and preferences, the length of fork is your next concern. Personally, I've got a pair of Marz Z150FR ETA waiting to go my Uber V if I ever get the damn time to build it up. This way, it gives me adjustment for the ups as well as the downs, and hopefully a relatively slack headtube angle. I am thinking of 170mm single crown fork tho.....

4. The components are really up to personal choice, and your wallet! All I can afford is XT at present, and it's all used stuff at that. I always have a very short stem tho - always preferred that, even on my hardtails - gives better control IMHO.

5. Post up pics of before and after for us all to admire/drool over/aim for.

After doing all of that, the Uber V will feel and indeed look like a new bike, and I reckon will outperform any f/s out there, old or new - as well as being much admired by those in the know.

I sold my first Super V900 (too small for me) to a friend a few years ago, and he had that as his back up bike. Several long travel f/s and jump hardtails later, he still says the Super V is the best bike he's ever ridden, and is going to Uber V is shortly - but he is one of these guys with lots of plans and no starting point!

Anyway, I've gone on enough. That's my humble offering. Hope it helps.

And you may as well fire up a pic of how it looks at present......

Later

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Cool. thanks for all the info. It sounds like a jekyll swingarm is a bit pricey, since i don't see any on ebay? Order direct from Cannondale?

I see what you are saying and that its a great way to keep a good bike alive. I can get a new prophet for about 1/2 price, thats why i'm struggling. but the new swingarm idea sounds like it would add a lot to the platform. somthing to ponder.

Here is a pic of my bike as it currently exists.

mtbr member
    Spotless!!! Do you ride it outside? LoL, j/k man, she's a beaut!

Get the swingarm. I mean think about it...how much more would you love your bike with 5 to 7 inches of travel up front and 6 in the back? I haven't even completed my conversion, but everyday I wake up, look at my bike and smile because I just got my Marzocchi all mountain 1 fork, my Cane Creek double Xc headset will be here Monday and by Friday I will have the swingarm. So in 6-7 days I'll be riding a new bike that is light and extremely versatile, able to ride the entire spectrum. Plus, chicks dig long travel!! These thoughts excite me.

Just think about it.

Geeez, I echo what's said above - how the hell is that bike looking tired??????

Anyway, you can use the current swing arm - it's the dubiously dodgy bonded type - until you can save up for a proper Jekyll swing arm. Give MendonCycleSmith a pm, and he'll help you out with an excellent price on a swing arm when the bonded one goes!
    So, you just need to hack, errrmm skilfully cut the mounting tabs, get a longer shock, fit the front fork, and basically that'll be it!
    Of course, you might want to upgrade to discs to handle all the extra downhill speed the extra travel's gonna inspire
    Keep us all informed........

Quote Originally Posted by rsmcculloch
    Cool. thanks for all the info. It sounds like a jekyll swingarm is a bit pricey, since i don't see any on ebay? Order direct from Cannondale?

Cannondale does not sell direct. Your dealer may be able to help you, if they have a good relationship with Cannondale. Many folks have had less than great shops tell them that it is not a part that can be ordered, but it can, and I have. Recently. Great looking bike by the way=

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

i suck at riding
    May 2006
    what are the primary downsides to having a slightly small bike? i think i may have outgrown my medium frame, however seldom come across a large superV platform to build on.

small bike size is playing a huge decision of whether or not i fix my bike just to ride or to modify to make it a plush big travel uber V...

do people frequently sell the frames seperate from the swingarm?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the advice on my super v 400. actually the pic is from a couple of years ago, sorry for misleading! i haven't changed anything on it though and everything is looking pretty trashed right now. The "Air Shok" is a piece of junk, the rubber boot on it is cracking apart. The headshock is feeling a bit gritty. etc...

How much might the jekyll swingarm run me?

How do you change the spot where the shock mounts, by hacking? I don't really see much room to expand. How about just using the same mounting holes and changing the eye-to-eye length by a 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch? Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by rsmcculloch
    Thanks for the advice on my super v 400. actually the pic is from a couple of years ago, sorry for misleading! i haven't changed anything on it though and everything is looking pretty trashed right now. The "Air Shok" is a piece of junk, the rubber boot on it is cracking apart. The headshock is feeling a bit gritty. etc...

How much might the jekyll swingarm run me?

How do you change the spot where the shock mounts, by hacking? I don't really see much room to expand. How about just using the same mounting holes and changing the eye-to-eye length by a 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch? Any thoughts?

Get that Headshock serviced! = They feel really nice, when properly set up and lubed. As for your swingarm, plan on spending at least 300 through your LBS. Otherwise be patient, ebay can produce some good deals. You do not need to change your SA though, as it is the same vintage as a Jekyll swingarm. It is a bonded one though, which do break easily, so consider a new one for that reason, if no other. As to a longer shock, if you just bump up the length, you will steepen the HA and SA to a goofy point, so by cutting the tabs, you keep the handling decent. You should keep the new hole the same distance below the tabs top, and move it forward a cm, at least that's what I did. Then cut off the excess tab, so your shock can move forward to it's new holes.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

what are the primary downsides to having a slightly small bike? i think i may have outgrown my medium frame, however seldom come across a large superV platform to build on.

small bike size is playing a huge decision of whether or not i fix my bike just to ride or to modify to make it a plush big travel uber V...

do people frequently sell the frames seperate from the swingarm?

Not enough cockpit room primarily, and you can only co9mpensate so much with stem length before it just gets dumb. Other than that, if your seatpost is above the max line, that's an issue too. You can probably pick up a whole super v on ebay, and then sell all the assorted extra parts on ebay, mostly, if not completely covering your costs, ending up with a free frame=

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Custom shock mounting.....

Have a squint <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7243993744&fromMakeTra ck=true"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7243993744&fromMakeTra ck=true>here</A> at a custom shock mount on a Super V on ebay over here in the UK.

It's something!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scathel
    Have a squint <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7243993744&fromMakeTra ck=true"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7243993744&fromMakeTra ck=true>here</A> at a custom shock mount on a Super V on ebay over here in the UK.

It's something!!!!!!!

Yikes! I think I like the current crop of conversions a bit more. That looks positively industrial age=

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2006

1994 Super V

Here is my Super V 1994 Team colors. It was a warrenty replacement for a broken 1992 Delta V frame.

Got the frame back last night...it's a little beat up, but at least I got it back.

UPS Store didn't pack the bike very well, so the headset cups and derailleur hanger got banged up:

Reducer headset is ordered, and now I need a new fork, a new rear shock, and a replacement hanger. Does anyone on here have a good source for the hangers, or will I need to go to a local Cannondale dealer?
    o l d s c h o o l m t b
    Wanted:
    Mavic 117/217 rims
    Gravity Research parts
    Yo Eddy in Aqua Fade
    XTR 1" threaded headset

mtbr member
    Last edited by EliM; 05-31-2006 at 01:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Here is a pic of my super V. I'm looking for a caad 4 swingarm to make it an Uber V. If anyone has one that they would sell cheap (I'm still in school and am almost broke) or trade something for let me know.

Shaun K Got the frame back last night...it's a little beat up, but at least I got it back.
    Hey man
    The first thing I noticed was the single speed Voodoo "discreetly" placed in the background! I've got a '97 Voodoo Erzulie which has had various re-incarnations over the years, and has taken a hellava abuse, a lot of drops, rocks, trails and too miles to count, but is still very much alive and kicking - how the steel frame had taken all it has and is still in one piece is anyone's guess!
    I'm just glad to see somebody else who appreciates a manufacturer who plays things a little bit different from the rest. Must be why we like the Super V then!
    It's a damn shame about the damage to the Dale though. That's a great colour to go for the stealth look with - it's just asking for everything on it to be matt black! As regards to the hanger, keep an eye out on ebay, or I daresay someone we all know might drop by to offer to sell you one soon.
    Good luck with the build.......

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast