Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    5th element ?s
    How does an Uber V perform without a platform shock? Does the 5th element have an adjustable platform? If it doesn't, would a lightweight rider be enough to overcome the platform?
    Well, I was just riding along when...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EliM
    5th element ?s
    How does an Uber V perform without a platform shock? Does the 5th element have an adjustable platform? If it doesn't, would a lightweight rider be enough to overcome the platform?

5th's have a platform, absolutely. Is it tuneable? Yes. Is it as tuneable as a DHX? No. It's air tuned, much like a Manitou Swinger 3 way, only the valving they do, amkes for a far superior feeling platform, IMO. Cheers!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

R.I.P. DogFriend

My $ 0.02

Quote Originally Posted by jerrynorton
    Well, this was my idea and you can tell me if I'm stupid or not. I was going to put the 2007 Marzocchi All Mountain 1 (160mm) on the front end. They have the ETA function which drops the front end down according to body weight when climbing. I find that usually once I get things set how I like, I don't mess with them very much. I hate to say my primary use of my bike is in town. But in Utah most of the towns still have irrigation water running in the gutters--the early pioneers were of necessity big irrigators. Now we don't grow any food at all. It's all trucked in from California. Anyway, there's plenty of obstacles between home and work and I go fast, so I really prefer a mountain bike even for getting around town. It's simply more fun.

I have access to plenty of good trails also. I would describe my off-road riding style as aggressive cross country. I don't stop much and I go fast, so I can't usually let go of the handlebars to adjust anything. I have not bottomed my Lefty, but I've come close based on how far the front end dives and this makes me feel uncomfortably close to going over the handlebars. I'm going to install a stiffer spring in the Lefty. My Lefty seems a little soft to the recommended weight settings to me. This is why I am thinking the Marzocchi All Mountain 1 will be a good choice for me even though it's just two centimeters difference. Like Scathel says, 10% isn't really there. BTW, did you ever get anywhere with that Super V red DownHill frame?

160mm without the Super V headset adapter should give me very similar geometry to what you prefer. (I was going to get the Cane Creek Double XC Headset 1.5 to 1 1/8.) I always use my Prophet in the XC setting which is very comfortable at 69. I've never even experimented with the free ride setting. Although there's times you could use it I'm sure. We have a lot of mountains too, with some good fast downhills. I know I'm lazy. I had my Prophet for six months before I bought a shock pump. I usually don't tinker with all the settings beyond initially figuring out what they do and setting them up.

That said, your DHX sounds nice. Originally I was planning to do this on the cheap, but I'm spinning out of control rapidly. (Once I saw that Industry Nine wheelset!) I was looking at blueskycycling.com for the fork and they have the DHX too. They also have Marzocchi rear shocks which are new this year (I think) and a bit cheaper than the DHX. I don't suppose anyone has any experience with them. Maybe I should be the first.

Which brings me to my next question. How important is it to use a 7.5"x2" rear shock? What difference would a quarter inch in stroke or 3/8 inch in length make anyway? Maybe a big difference. I don't know. I'm just asking. Thanks.
    I recently put an 06 All Mountain 1 on my Giant Reign and just for reference, I used to have a 99 Super V that is now in RW420's capable hands (I can't wait to see what he does with it). I thing the Marz would be a great fork for an Uber V. I had a Manitou Minute 1:00 (100mm to 130mm) on the Super V (and had one on my Reign before the Marz) when I just had the regular 6.5" x 1.5" shock and it was a great combo. With the added travel of an Uber, the Marz should rock.

As for platform shocks in the rear.... IMHO, without a platform shock in the rear, the Super V (or an Uber V too) would be just another obsolete single pivot from days gone by. When I put the Swinger 4-Way Air on my Super V, it made it new and viable again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for weighing in Jeff. I noticed earlier that you were sold on the Marz All Mountain 1. Fortyounce was tooting the horn about it too a few pages back. I feel pretty comfortable settling on it, but I still cannot find all specs on it. I primarily want to know the axle to crown height. As far as I am able to ascertain the Marzocchi website does not show this spec. They also list the fork travel variously as 160mm on the web page and 150mm in their downloadable brochure. It's a little frustrating where I'm at because most of this stuff is not available to go look at, so I just keep doing web searches and reading reviews and keep coming back to this thread. So thanks.

I don't know what I was thinking about the rear shock length. Of course it matters. I was thinking of just shock absorbers I guess--momentary lapse of reason. The 2007 Fox DHX Air 5.0 is $479 list. But the Swinger / Manitou / Answer SPV offerings are the same price. I'm a hundred and seventy-five pounds, so I doubt if I'd bottom the Fifth Element and I'm sure it would be adjustable enough for me. But now RW's talk about reliability has got me thinking again. The Fox Air is $200 more than the Fifth Element, but I want the thing to go on the bike and stay there.

Is RW the Wrecker of Fine Things? No wait, that's Slayer. But I seem to remember something about busting up Caad 4 swingarms several pages back.

mtbr member
    an Uber in the rough...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EliM
    How does an Uber V perform without a platform shock?
    not very well.

mtbr member

Should be sweet

Hi RW. The place is called Bicycles Unlimited. They don't have an 800 number, but their local number is 435-673-4492 in Saint George, Utah. The owner is named Mark.
    Thanks! I'll give them a call on Monday.

Well, this was my idea and you can tell me if I'm stupid or not. I was going to put the 2007 Marzocchi All Mountain 1 (160mm) on the front end. They have the ETA function...
    Good choice. I've had extensive experience with the Z1FR SL 130 (doppio air with ECC). I tried it both ways (cone up and cone down). With the cone side down it was pretty slack for tight trail riding but felt pretty good hammering along. And the ECC always hooked me up for the climbs. I think you will get similar geometry if you run the cone side up (or the Cane Creek Double XC). Probably a touch slacker than my Talas 140 fully extended. That will provide a lot of stability, or as a friend of mine used to say, "it'll pin an extra nutsack on ya". It also provides the slacker FR position without giving up the bottom bracket height. I think you will be happy given the type of riding you describe - especially if you can get a good deal on the fork. And since you're getting wheels anyway, you can get a front for the through-axle.

They also list the fork travel variously as 160mm on the web page and 150mm in their downloadable brochure. It's a little frustrating where I'm at because most of this stuff is not available to go look at
    Give Marzocchi a call or send them an email. They'll get you an answer.

BTW, did you ever get anywhere with that Super V red DownHill frame?.
    We still haven't gotten a hold of one yet. But I think it could make for a nice 6.8" travel monster with a 7.875x2.25 shock and a Jekyll swingarm. Definitely calls for the Fox 36 Talas 160/130/100.

I usually don't tinker with all the settings beyond initially figuring out what they do and setting them up.
    Me neither. It has gotten to the point where the only adjustment I ever touch on my bike now is the 140/120/100 lever on the fork.

They also have Marzocchi rear shocks which are new this year (I think) and a bit cheaper than the DHX. I don't suppose anyone has any experience with them. Maybe I should be the first.
    I would love to hear about it.

Which brings me to my next question. How important is it to use a 7.5"x2" rear shock? What difference would a quarter inch in stroke or 3/8 inch in length make anyway?
    The way to think about it is to consider the leverage ratio. Since the leverage ratio of the V is about 3:1, the effect of the longer i2i is 3 times 3/8", or just over an inch at the rear axle. Jacking up the back of the frame has the equivalent effect on geometry as dropping the front end by putting a shorter fork on it. Now this is a rough rule of thumb (because it depends on the bike) but some say that a one inch change in crown height results in about a degree of headtube angle. This probably could be verified with a bit of math but I've never done it. So that would imply that the longer i2i of the 7.875" shock would steepen the V by over a degree. It would also pick up the bottom bracket by about 3/4" which could result in some loss of stability. If you already have the 7.875" shock, you could try it. You would just need the right mounting hardware. This will allow you to get a sense of geometry and handling. If you try the Prophet shock, keep in mind that it is valved for a falling rate of suspension so the big hit performance may be less than optimal on the Uber.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rw420
    The way to think about it is to consider the leverage ratio. Since the leverage ratio of the V is about 3:1, the effect of the longer i2i is 3 times 3/8", or just over an inch at the rear axle. Jacking up the back of the frame has the equivalent effect on geometry as dropping the front end by putting a shorter fork on it. Now this is a rough rule of thumb (because it depends on the bike) but some say that a one inch change in crown height results in about a degree of headtube angle. This probably could be verified with a bit of math but I've never done it. So that would imply that the longer i2i of the 7.875" shock would steepen the V by over a degree. It would also pick up the bottom bracket by about 3/4" which could result in some loss of stability. If you already have the 7.875" shock, you could try it. You would just need the right mounting hardware. This will allow you to get a sense of geometry and handling. If you try the Prophet shock, keep in mind that it is valved for a falling rate of suspension so the big hit performance may be less than optimal on the Uber.
    This is very informative.

The reason I was thinking about it is because I noticed that this year's Santa Cruz Blur, which used to have our 7.5"x2" 5th Element on it, now has a 7.785"x2.25" 2007 Fox DHX Air 5.0. The ad copy says they've bumped up the suspension. I wonder if all they did was put a longer shock and forks on it? They sell the longer Fox Air at blueskycycling.com They are all the same price. It just depends on which you want.

How do you know how the valving is set up? I guess you can tell by the way the bike it is supposed to go on is set up. Or is the Fox Air adjustable in that regard? The Blur is similar to the Super V in that the rear triangle pivot point is just above the bottom bracket in about the same position.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I think the A/C on the 2006 Marz All Mountain 1 is 538 at 150mm.

It also has the TAS which would let you set the travel at either 130mm or 150mm or anywhere in between. It's not really on-the-fly, but you could stop and change it on the trail if you really felt the need to. You have to let the air out of the preload, change tge travel and then inflate the air spring preload again.

Horizontally Compliant

Good job! New Uber V under construction!

Hey all,

What a treat it was to find this thread a few weeks ago! I have a '98 Super V 1000 Freeride with the dual crown Fatty Moto Headshock fork. I bought the bike brand new back in the fall of '98, and shortly thereafter, life took over and the bike has hardly made it out of the garage more than once a year over the last 8 years. Recently an old buddy of mine moved to town and we were looking for a healthy hobby to get into. I convinced him to pick up a MTN bike and we've started riding regularly. I've really fallen back in love with riding and it's been equally great for both the body and soul.

After riding my buddy's new bike and seeing all the cool new stuff on the market these days, my bike was feeling pretty dated and I was starting to feel it's limitations on the trails. So I was at a crossroads... either buy a new bike or fix up the trusty ol' C-Dale. To be honest, I didn't have much hope for the Super V being that it was such an old bike, and I was just about ready to Ebay it or retire it and pull the trigger on a brand new steed... that is, until I found this thread! With all of the positive posts on how good an Uber V is, and not being overly impressed with any of the new bikes I've test ridden, I decided to dump the cash into the C-Dale and see what happens.

So far, I've spent a boatload of cash on it... I could have easily bought a really nice new bike with the money I'm putting into this thing... nearly everything is getting replaced, only the frame, handlebar and pedals will remain unchanged. The build list is as follows:

Maverick DUC32 fork
    5th Element Air 7.5"x2"
    Jekyll Swingarm
    Mavic 823 Wheelset laced with the Maverick hub up front, Hadley in the rear
    Kenda Small Block Eight UST tires
    SRAM X.0 Drivetrain
    Shimano Saint crankset
    Avid Juicy Carbon brakes

The parts are starting to trickle in, I've got about half in the garage and the other half should be arriving within the next week or so. It should be pretty sweet... that fork alone should shave a couple of lbs off the front! Although the bike is pretty cherry, I'm also contemplating having the frame stripped and re-powdercoated to really give it that new-bike feel.

Anyways, I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for all of the great info. I'll post pics before and after as well as specs on weight, geometry, etc. and of course, a riding impression!!

Viva La Uber!!

Cheers,
    ~J

mtbr member
    May 2006
    hey bigtoe that is gonna be a nice build.with that duc32 up front you should turn that thing into an uber v.all you need is a shock and swing arm.read this forum from page 1.it is very educational.if you need a shock or swing arm give mendon a call.he is great to work with.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by BigToe
    Hey all,

What a treat it was to find this thread a few weeks ago! I have a '98 Super V 1000 Freeride with the dual crown Fatty Moto Headshock fork. I bought the bike brand new back in the fall of '98, and shortly thereafter, life took over and the bike has hardly made it out of the garage more than once a year over the last 8 years. Recently an old buddy of mine moved to town and we were looking for a healthy hobby to get into. I convinced him to pick up a MTN bike and we've started riding regularly. I've really fallen back in love with riding and it's been equally great for both the body and soul.

After riding my buddy's new bike and seeing all the cool new stuff on the market these days, my bike was feeling pretty dated and I was starting to feel it's limitations on the trails. So I was at a crossroads... either buy a new bike or fix up the trusty ol' C-Dale. To be honest, I didn't have much hope for the Super V being that it was such an old bike, and I was just about ready to Ebay it or retire it and pull the trigger on a brand new steed... that is, until I found this thread! With all of the positive posts on how good an Uber V is, and not being overly impressed with any of the new bikes I've test ridden, I decided to dump the cash into the C-Dale and see what happens.

So far, I've spent a boatload of cash on it... I could have easily bought a really nice new bike with the money I'm putting into this thing... nearly everything is getting replaced, only the frame, handlebar and pedals will remain unchanged. The build list is as follows:

Maverick DUC32 fork
    5th Element Air 7.5"x2"
    Jekyll Swingarm
    Mavic 823 Wheelset laced with the Maverick hub up front, Hadley in the rear
    Kenda Small Block Eight UST tires
    SRAM X.0 Drivetrain
    Shimano Saint crankset
    Avid Juicy Carbon brakes

The parts are starting to trickle in, I've got about half in the garage and the other half should be arriving within the next week or so. It should be pretty sweet... that fork alone should shave a couple of lbs off the front! Although the bike is pretty cherry, I'm also contemplating having the frame stripped and re-powdercoated to really give it that new-bike feel.

Anyways, I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for all of the great info. I'll post pics before and after as well as specs on weight, geometry, etc. and of course, a riding impression!!

Viva La Uber!!

Cheers,
    ~J
    Oh my. This will be a hot bike. Can't wait to see it. It's a good investment and I'm sure you'll find that it's worth it. The funny thing about building Ubers is that the front frame often becomes one of the least expensive parts on the bike.

How will the Maverick go on the headtube? Will it work with a headset reducers and a standard headset or a reducing headset like the Cane Creek? I guess you'll probably use the reducers that came on your bike. The DUC has a 517mm A-C so I think you'll get good trailbike geometry either way. If you used the reducers that lift the headtube, it will put you in more of a FR position. And the DUC's travel adjustment will always allow for good climbing geometry.

You bought your frame in late '98 so I'm curious about which tabs you have. At that point you could have gotten either long or short tabs. Are you going to have to cut them? Post a picture if you are unsure. I have some new ideas about methodolgy if you are going to do the tab cutting. With the spherical eyelets on the 5th, alignment isn't that critical but if you ever wanted to try another shock it might be.

mtbr member
    I'm bumping this out to the front. It gets confusing trying to find the latest...
    Last edited by rw420; 11-26-2006 at 07:48 AM. Reason: bump

mtbr member
    This is very informative.

The reason I was thinking about it is because I noticed that this year's Santa Cruz Blur, which used to have our 7.5"x2" 5th Element on it, now has a 7.785"x2.25" 2007 Fox DHX Air 5.0. The ad copy says they've bumped up the suspension. I wonder if all they did was put a longer shock and forks on it? They sell the longer Fox Air at blueskycycling.com They are all the same price. It just depends on which you want.

How do you know how the valving is set up? I guess you can tell by the way the bike it is supposed to go on is set up. Or is the Fox Air adjustable in that regard? The Blur is similar to the Super V in that the rear triangle pivot point is just above the bottom bracket in about the same position.
    I would think that Sant Cruz must have moved the forward shock mount to allow for the longer i2i or it would have had serious effects on geometry. And, although the pivot location is similar, it will not necessarily have similar characteristics. What is relevent here is how the leverage ratio changes through the shock stroke which depends on the relative position of the two shock mounts at different points in the travel. The leverage ratio of a bike may be described with one number but it is actually different at each point. The collection of these points creates a curve that provides the characteristics of the suspension. For example, the Prophet has a severe falling rate of suspension whereby the leverage ratio starts at 2.6 and ends at 3, producing an 'average' leverage ratio of 2.8. The Uber V has a very slight rising-rate that averages at about 3. Overall, the Uber feels pretty linear.

The beauty of the DHX 5.0 is that the user can do all the tuning. I do not believe that they do any factory tuning on them. Fox offers a DHX 4.0 that comes oem and is tuned for the frame it is sold on.

BTW - I PM'd you about Fox shox.

Horizontally Compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by mxer
    hey bigtoe that is gonna be a nice build.with that duc32 up front you should turn that thing into an uber v.all you need is a shock and swing arm.read this forum from page 1.it is very educational.if you need a shock or swing arm give mendon a call.he is great to work with.
    Mxer, thanks for the feedback! Actually, I already have the shock and the Mendon is sending me a swingarm, so I'm good to go there.

How will the Maverick go on the headtube? Will it work with a headset reducers and a standard headset or a reducing headset like the Cane Creek? I guess you'll probably use the reducers that came on your bike. The DUC has a 517mm A-C so I think you'll get good trailbike geometry either way. If you used the reducers that lift the headtube, it will put you in more of a FR position. And the DUC's travel adjustment will always allow for good climbing geometry.

You bought your frame in late '98 so I'm curious about which tabs you have. At that point you could have gotten either long or short tabs. Are you going to have to cut them? Post a picture if you are unsure. I have some new ideas about methodolgy if you are going to do the tab cutting. With the spherical eyelets on the 5th, alignment isn't that critical but if you ever wanted to try another shock it might be.
    RW420, thanks for the feedback! I have the stock headset reducers and the existing headset appears to be in decent shape so I shouldn't have any problems installing the Maverick as is, but if I run into difficulty, I'll try the Cane Creek XC Short headset.

The crown on the maverick is tall enough that I have some space to play with... I have about an inch of slack I'll need to take out either by running a spacer on top or bottom, giving me lot of tuning options. Unfortunately, the bike is definitely a '98 with the long tabs. I wonder if, because of the long A-C length of the fork, if properly set up and running a spacer on bottom, would I be able to get away without cutting the tabs? If I do end up needing to cut them, I'll definitely let you know ahead of time so you can give me some advice!

mtbr member
    The crown on the maverick is tall enough that I have some space to play with... I have about an inch of slack I'll need to take out either by running a spacer on top or bottom, giving me lot of tuning options. Unfortunately, the bike is definitely a '98 with the long tabs. I wonder if, because of the long A-C length of the fork, if properly set up and running a spacer on bottom, would I be able to get away without cutting the tabs?
    Given what I've seen with the experimentations that have gone on around here, I think that you will end up at about 70 degrees - even with the spacer on the bottom - a bit steep for a trailbike. And from there, you will only be able to adjust toward a steeper angle with the travel adjustment on the fork. Also, the bottom bracket height will get up to around 15 inches. It may work for you but you will probably need to run excessive sag to get comfortable. I really think you need to cut the tabs (or get a short-tab front) in order to appreciate what this bike can do for you. By cutting the tabs, you will end up with a range somewhere in the neighborhood of 67 to 69 degrees through the range of travel adjustment on the fork. And you would also have the option of moving the spacer to the top to steepen that range to about 68 to 70.

Uber V Cripp

UBER IT!

Horizontally Compliant
    Given what I've seen with the experimentations that have gone on around here, I think that you will end up at about 70 degrees - even with the spacer on the bottom - a bit steep for a trailbike. And from there, you will only be able to adjust toward a steeper angle with the travel adjustment on the fork. Also, the bottom bracket height will get up to around 15 inches. It may work for you but you will probably need to run excessive sag to get comfortable. I really think you need to cut the tabs (or get a short-tab front) in order to appreciate what this bike can do for you. By cutting the tabs, you will end up with a range somewhere in the neighborhood of 67 to 69 degrees through the range of travel adjustment on the fork. And you would also have the option of moving the spacer to the top to steepen that range to about 68 to 70.
    Excellent Info... I'm pretty much positive I'll end up cutting them... I'd really like to get it somewhere in the 68º-69º range. I've always felt the bike was a little quick handling for the high speed stuff we do here in AZ. Slacking it out a bit would be a welcome change.

This may be a stupid question, but what is the easiest way to determine HTA? What is everybody using to figure out your angles?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I bought this super v 700 one month ago, it has vintage parts in excelent condition, I guess a 14 years old rock shox and the first LX.

the first upgrade will be a manitou stance static.

Last edited by sebArcturus; 11-26-2006 at 08:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I bought this super v 700 one month ago, it has vintage parts in excelent condition, I guess a 14 years old rock shox and the first LX.

the first upgrade will be a manitou stance static.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sebArcturus
    I bought this super v 700 one month ago, it has vintage parts in excellent condition
    Man, that thing is in great shape. I got a grey one too, but yours looks more silver. Short tabs too!
    Last edited by jerrynorton; 11-29-2006 at 08:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm bumping this out to the front. It gets confusing trying to find the latest...
    I finally figured out how to fix this. Where it says display modes right under the page numbers, choose linear mode. It defaults to hybrid mode, but once you change it it stays put.

He who follows his heart.

Upset Cracked shock mount

I bought this Super V900 frame off ebay, and it arrived last week - I waited until things were sorted out before posting this picture of the stress fractures on the frame shock mount weld.
    The seller was very good about it though - actually superb. The frame came with the long bottom headset adaptor cups, and a rear mech hanger. He gave me 3/4 of my money back, and let me keep the frame - it actually ended up costing more for P&P than the end balance for the frame!.
    I'm glad to see that there are still genuine people dealing on ebay.

Anyway, I have quite a basic camera, so I hope that the two fractures (one horizontal along the top of the top weld, and the other at an angle from the top at the left of the mount) are clear for all to see.

I'm off to check my '99 FR frame........

Uber V Cripp
    Short tabs too!
    Nope. They are to big to be short.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hmm, must be that 1995 silver one. They are pretty small though.

jer

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Smile Super V 800 up for sale

I'm glad to see there is still so much interest in the Super V. I have a 2000 Super V 800 in Viper Red, size med, Cane Creek Cloud 9 rear shock(2 years old) and a Cane Creek Double XC headset/reducer. I've got some other goodies, I'm considering keeping them for the next project, but who knows? It's a great bike in great shape. I've always had multiple bikes so this one has shared ride time. Drop me line if you're interested and I'll get you some pics. Thanks

Live 2 Ride
    Thought we were not to post for sale on threads...
    My Bike: '15 Trek FX 7.2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Thanks for weighing in Jeff. I noticed earlier that you were sold on the Marz All Mountain 1. Fortyounce was tooting the horn about it too a few pages back. I feel pretty comfortable settling on it, but I still cannot find all specs on it. I primarily want to know the axle to crown height. As far as I am able to ascertain the Marzocchi website does not show this spec. They also list the fork travel variously as 160mm on the web page and 150mm in their downloadable brochure. It's a little frustrating where I'm at because most of this stuff is not available to go look at, so I just keep doing web searches and reading reviews and keep coming back to this thread. So thanks.

I don't know what I was thinking about the rear shock length. Of course it matters. I was thinking of just shock absorbers I guess--momentary lapse of reason. The 2007 Fox DHX Air 5.0 is $479 list. But the Swinger / Manitou / Answer SPV offerings are the same price. I'm a hundred and seventy-five pounds, so I doubt if I'd bottom the Fifth Element and I'm sure it would be adjustable enough for me. But now RW's talk about reliability has got me thinking again. The Fox Air is $200 more than the Fifth Element, but I want the thing to go on the bike and stay there.

Is RW the Wrecker of Fine Things? No wait, that's Slayer. But I seem to remember something about busting up Caad 4 swingarms several pages back.
    Still loving the AM1, and I will do my best to get you some measurements as soon as I find a metric tape measure. Currently my Uber is in pieces for some winter time TLC, but will be up and ready when spring rolls around. I need to get a shorter stem though, like a Easton Vice instead of this 110mm EA70. Maybe a switch to SRAM x9 instead of my aged, debilitated XT setup. But that's about it. The bike is so much fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I did order the 2007 AM1 along with a bunch of other stuff. Thanks for representing. For some strange reason I decided to use one of those checks the credit card companies send out this time of year to get a fixed rate on the main purchase and they still haven't sent my order. The check posted to my account ten days ago. I'm prolly at the end of the holiday queue now. A bit dumb.

I got 15% off everything at Universal Cycles. I also bought a few things for my Prophet and a Thule roof rack for my Pathfinder. Free shipping on the roof rack and a shipping credit on the brakes, I know, and something else. Total shipping only $25.76.

Here's the list:

1749-4656 Azonic Outlaw Wheelset
    Wheelset 135mm inc. tires $273.00 1 $273.00
    4780-24596 Truvativ XR Stem 31.8
    90mm x 12 Deg x 31.8 Clamp $17.00 1 $17.00
    6235-13392 Thule 400XT Aero Foot Pack
    Set of 4 $135.00 1 $135.00
    6285-13454 Thule Load Bars
    LB58 - 58 inch $52.00 1 $52.00
    6287-13471 Thule Aero Foot Kit #43-#76
    60 $52.50 1 $52.50
    6308-13637 Thule Lock Cores
    #544 Four Cores $42.00 1 $42.00
    8692-19096 Avid 2007 BB7 ATB Disc Brakes
    Rear 160mm $87.00 1 $87.00
    8692-19097 Avid 2007 BB7 ATB Disc Brakes
    Front 185mm $90.00 1 $90.00
    10049-22153 FSA XC-280 Riser Bar
    Black $31.00 1 $31.00
    10506-23077 Titec Hellbent Lock On Grips
    Pair $12.45 1 $12.45
    11105-24378 Titec El Norte Bent Seatpost
    27.2 x 350mm $29.99 2 $59.98
    12082-26435 07 Fox Racing Shox DHX 5.0 Air Rear Shock
    7.50 x 2.0 $479.00 1 $479.00
    12758-27639 Cannondale Headshok Stem 31.8
    20 deg x 90 mm $50.00 1 $50.00
    13623-29641 07 Marzocchi All Mountain 1 TST/ETA Fork
    Flat Black $645.00 1 $645.00
    Order Status: PayPal Wait
    Ship Date: 0000-00-00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SubTotal: $2,025.93

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tax: $0.00
    Shipping(GND): $50.00
    Shipping Credit: $24.24
    Coupon Discount: $303.89

Grand Total: $1,747.80
    Last edited by jerrynorton; 12-16-2006 at 12:06 AM.

Devolution is real!
    It is good to see this thread is still going strong. I am contemplating on putting new parts on my super v that hasen't been ridden for a few years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Very nice work done on these SVs. I have a '98 SV900 that I am gearing up to overhaul myself. Have a jekyll cadd4 swingarm on the way, and starting to look into shocks/brakes. It is currently close to factory, much like the 1-10-2006 post by rw420. Same colors. It is going to be a task, but I could not give up on my SV...yet. It has been a awesome bike for the coin. Any pointers welcomed...tips

Late post, but maybe someone is still looking...

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Increase rear travel on '95/'96?

I own a '95/'96 Super V 3000. I was wondering if anyone had tinkered with extending the rear end travel. Naturally, I would bump up the front end and ditch the standard HShok to try and recover the head angle.

I think by changing the front drl type, I could lower the front drl, and whack off part of the stub which comes up from the BB (I can probably drop the stub a 1/2" without changing the drl). Not sure how far this would drop the rear arm?, chain clearances?, or what size shock would/might fit? . . . just thought it was an idea worth throwing out there . . . and I'm especially interested in hearing from those who have done UBER conversions.

Keep in mind, I understand the "easier" path . . . ditch the frame, get a later version and the Jekyll swing arm, cut the tabs, etc. There is just something about breathing new life into this frame that has me prepared to get stupid.

BTW- my rear arm is aluminum, not carbon, and with the wide pivot, still feels as rigid as a lead pipe. Never had a problem with the rear arm, and wonder if it isn't actually better suited for longer travel.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    rwb 1213 a modern longer travel fork and a rear shock upgrade will make freshen that thing up nicely.if you want to go longer out back call brian at therapy components.he had done some mods to his for longer travel.1 thing he did was weld some plate to the swing arm to stiffen it up for the longer travel.keep us posted on the upgrades.

mtbr member
    I think this guy rides a Super V:

http://www.bikerfox.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Blow torch, or blow this one off?

I emailed Brian but have not heard back . . . I'm really interested in learning more about his set up.

I did a walk through of changes with a trusty wrench at my LBS . . . who has built his own frames before.

He suggests cutting the front hanger stub altogether, and rolling a single 34t upfront. He is running that configuration on his Yeti 575, and he says he is not missing a beat. He contends that 24/27 speed drive trains have a ton of overlap, with the only catch being chain tension (which is better in the big ring.)

Just for the record, I live on the western slope of Colorado . . . Grand Junction/Fruita area. Granny is damn near required on some of our XC trails, but for the sake of stupid, I'm willing to roll (or potentially walk) with just a 34t upfront (feels like I'm building a DH bike.).

I'm going to do some measuring tomorrow to see what i2i seems feasible. Because of the steep angle on the mounts, I don't think I can get to 7.5 e2e. Which brings up the primary hitch in this increasingly bizarre plan . . .

The top mount of the stock shock is machined in a square Y, and the frame mount slides in the middle- not unlike the Raven. Rear shock mounts have standardized to the opposite fashion, like the later gen Super Vs with two tabs on the frame. So, trusty wrench friend says, "we'll fab the new mounts." Idea is to fabricate the two tabs, with multiple mounting points, bolt them to the existing mount, and weld them (after stripping and prepping) to the seat stay arm. One advantage is multiple mounts would give me some flexibility outback. The only other choice is to contact Risse Racing and see if they will build me a longer travel rear shock using the proper upper mount (they already build replacements for the stock fox shock with the correct upper mount.) With the welded custom mount I would do a Fox Propedal of an as of yet undetermined length/stroke.

Wrenchman suggests an ATC Z7 upfront . . . 6" travel- dual crown (5lbs.) Not as sexy as the Fox RLC front, but can be had for $300, user serviceable, and stiffer. Opinions?

I'm guessing the entire adventure will run around $700. End product is 6" front, and estimated 6-7" in the rear, with an unknown head tube angle at this point. Single front, with 8 speed XTR m900 in the rear. Bike would weigh in at around 32lbs.

Blow torch or blow this one off?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    could someone ID the year of this frame for me?
    i bought an ebay superV that already had the jeckyl rear end with a cloud9 shocks. however the size was too small for me so i got another, larger front end to replace it.
    do i need to trim this one to run the cloud9?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stuperV
    i bought an ebay superV that already had the jeckyl rear end with a cloud9 shocks. however the size was too small for me so i got another, larger front end to replace it.
    If you are running a 6.5" i2i then no trimming is required.

If you go Uber (7.5" i2i) then you will need to trim the tabs.

I'm not sure which size or year shock you are using. The cloud9 is a great shock but a modern platform shock would make this bike spectacular.

Sweet paint job. It looks like you have a fork to match? Post a picture of the whole frame and one of the fork too if you have it.

I think the frame is a newer (2000 or later) one based on the shape of the tabs. What color pivot spacers does it take? If they are black then it is a newer frame. If they are silver then it is a '97 or '98.

mtbr member

selling my SuperV 900

I've gotten ahold of a Kona Stinky, and can't afford to rebuild both. So I'm selling
    my SuperV 900 including Jekyll rear end.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cannondale-Super...QQcmdZViewItem

That is the frame colour to have! Did you buy it like that, or did you have it done for you?

Anyway, there's this Super V on ebay over here. I have my own views on the following questions, but I would like to know if they match those who are a bit longer in the tooth than myself I have emailed the seller - who reckons it was bought in '98 - and he assures me that he has known the bike from the shop via his friend (previous owner) and nothing has been ground.

1. Is the metallic green a standard Cannondale colour?

2. The frame shock tabs - cut/ground or not?

3. Did the "Super VSeries" graphics only appear on the '99 FR as opposed to a number (V900, etc)?

4. Did all '99 FR's have a disc swing arm?

I was very interested in this bike for a friend of my woman's, but having given the shock mounts a closer look, sadly my interest is waning........

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

95/96 Super V update . . .

I spoke with Brian at Braketherapy . . . he just retired his Super V, but he did note that he did build a custom shock with the "clevis" upper mount. With his custom shock he extended the rear to 5" of travel.

Based on the discussion with Brian . . . I contacted Risse Racing. I think they are the only shock manufacturer left which has a clevis style shock mount option in their parts bin. I spoke with a Josh at Risse, and he is working on building me an Astro 5 out of their parts bin, with a 1.5" to 2" stroke. With the 3:1 factor, it should put me between 4.5 and 6" in the rear. It doesn't look like I will have to mod the front d post either (but that depends on the i2i number he gives me when he is done.

The front end conversion should be much simpler. I have to start looking at measuring the rear jack and try and compensate with appropriate axle to crown length up front.

Of course I haven't put a dime into any of this yet, and it looks to be a $700+ adventure . . .

Maybe a Stinky or Coiler is a better way to go . . . (I know, blasphemy to post in a CDale thread.)

Any of you check out the Mountain Cycle San A. DNA? Looks sweet and cheap at Adrenaline. Lots of travel and weight in line with an UBER V.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathel
    1. Is the metallic green a standard Cannondale colour?
    Hi Scathel. Looks okay to me. I haven't seen the green before, but the short tabs may have been on models from 1998-2000 since no one knows exactly when they switched. Keep in mind that a medium Super-V frame is fairly small.

Jerry

mtbr member
    Anyway, there's this Super V on ebay over here. I have emailed the seller - who reckons it was bought in '98 - and he assures me that he has known the bike from the shop via his friend (previous owner) and nothing has been ground.
    It's a '97. The tabs have not been modified.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It's a '97. The tabs have not been modified.
    So they're not quite short enough? It doesn't look like there's much room for a new hole there.

Are some '97s short tabs too? It looks the same as the picture you posted of your ride in post #330. Mine is grey. Is that a '97 too?

I should have some pictures soon. My Uber is sitting assembled at my LBS sans the rear shock. For some reason Universal Cycles still owes me a DHX. It was supposed to be sent last week, then for sure this week. No tracking number has materialized yet.
    Last edited by jerrynorton; 01-18-2007 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks guys. I would invite you to take a closer look at the tabs. There appears to be a vertical edge on the tab on the side below the shock to allow this shock to move vertically - I've included a pic this time- you can see the edge of the shock where perhaps the tab was?. Or am I dreaming

From what the owner tells me (17" b/b to collar) it actually sounds like a small, and it was the fact that it looked like a small that attracted to because she is a tad short!

Anyway, I still haven't heard back from the seller after replying to his email, so what will be wil be.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

95/96 Super V- one big circle . . .

Risse reports that their upper shock body only comes in one length, and cannot be extended. Thus . . . 3" it is and always will be.

I think I will spare this trusty stead the blowtorch and take her to ebay in nearly mint condition sporting full XTR (m900 8-speed.)

As an FYI, for those of you riding this model ('95/'96) . . . FOX won't touch the rear shock any longer. Risse is the only company making replacements for the rear. I have talked with a few folks using Risse stuff, and they have been happy.

R.I.P. DogFriend

4. Did all '99 FR's have a disc swing arm?
    As I understand, all 1999 and later Cannondales have disc tabs.

BUT...... 1999 was a one year only ISO standard for the rear caliper mounting tabs. They are (I think) offset about 5mm outward from the inside of the dropouts. The 2000 and later tabs are about flush with the inside of the dropouts.

If you use a non-1999 rear disc caliper on a 1999 swingarm, you will need to use spacers of some sort to line up the caliper to the rotor. Not a big deal, but the more you know.....

StuperV: That camo paintjob is bad-arse!

Russ: Are you getting close to the unveiling?

Regards,
    Jeff
    Last edited by jeffj; 01-19-2007 at 10:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    thanks. the camo paint was done entirely by me with rattel cans no less. the trick is you have to use a special kind of primer when painting alum. i am waiting untill i can get the frame and fork clear coated before i put it together. flat clear coat has to go over the camo, the paint layers are too thin to survive the trail. as soon as that happens i will put the bike together and post picks.
    has anyone made any kind of jig to aid in reshaping the tabs to allow for the 7.5-i2i shocks?
    i'd love to do that, i'm just nervouse as to getting the hole just right and not throwing off the geomitry of the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    As I understand, all 1999 and later Cannondales have disc tabs.

BUT...... 1999 was a one year only ISO standard for the rear caliper mounting tabs. They are (I think) offset about 5mm outward from the inside of the dropouts. The 2000 and later tabs are about flush with the inside of the dropouts.

If you use a non-1999 rear disc caliper on a 1999 swingarm, you will need to use spacers of some sort to line up the caliper to the rotor. Not a big deal, but the more you know.....

StuperV: That camo paintjob is bad-arse!

Russ: Are you getting close to the unveiling?

Regards,
    Jeff
    Thanks for that info about the disc mounts - I'll be crossing that bridge very soon.

I'm putting 04 Hope Mono M4's on my Uber - I'm just waiting on the shock bushes being picked up to be machined by a very kind soul

In the meantime, here's a pic of what I bought my woman for Christmas - amongst other things of course!
    Excuse the quality of the picture - it's off my mobile phone......

I waited a couple of years to find a small KTM orange Super V, so was glad when one eventually turned up.
    Jekyll swing arms are getting like hens teeth over here on ebay, so I'm thinking of just leaving the swing arm on - or I might put my black one on from my Kawasaki green '99 FR - along with a platform shock. I've got a set of immaculate, hardly used Pyslo's that I'm gonna throw on for her as she doesn't do big drops or jumps - she's more a xc woman really -so the lockout on them will suit her fine.

That cammo job really is great - the more I see it the more impressed I am by it.

How long did it take you to mask areas off? That's what I call dedication

mtbr member
    A couple of years ago I wanted to add one of the old Super V Dh rigs to my Cdale stable. My search turned up two absolute beauties in mint condition. However, after factoring the costs of overseas shipping (not so bad) & the costs to retrofit from the horrendous Sachs brakes (extreamely expensive), I opted out. But here are the a couple of pics.....nice hugh
    PrOxY

Rear tyre size?

Firstly, sorry for the pic above not working - I moved it after it was linked so here is the fuzzy picture again -

I have began to build the Uber V up after getting the bushes for the new swing arm machined - arm, shock, fork, headset, stem wheels and tyres all fitted so far and looking pretty good!

I did plan on running a Panracer 2.4FR up front with a 2.3 Nokian Gazzolddi Dual on the rear as I found these to be a great combo on my Haro. But, the Nokian rubs on the drive side stay, and there is only around a couple of mm on the non drive side, so even if I got a wheel dished correctly for the arm, once they're all muddy, they'll rub like crazy.

What size of rear tyre are you guys running on the Jekyll swing arm?

Many thanks.

mtbr member
    What size of rear tyre are you guys running on the Jekyll swing arm?
    Our little tribe of Uber riders all run the Continental Vertical Pro UST on the rear.

Can't wait to see yours. Any progress photos?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Where are you guys getting your shock bushes machined? I'm in need of two in the 22mm size for my early '98, but I have two in the 15.8mm size for the future .

It seems like someone could make a couple of dollars by getting several sets machined. Maybe a group buy?

By the way -- hi gang! Future Uber V Lite owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob H.
    Where are you guys getting your shock bushes machined? I'm in need of two in the 22mm size for my early '98, but I have two in the 15.8mm size for the future .

It seems like someone could make a couple of dollars by getting several sets machined. Maybe a group buy?

By the way -- hi gang! Future Uber V Lite owner.

What shock are you using? That size should be available quite easily, unless it's an old, oddball shock. Check with your LBS, provided they aren't the type of place that has a bunch of clueless kids behind the counter, and an owner who prefers to not order anything other than tubes, and LX derailluers for the "high end" display case.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sorry -- didn't give enough info

I have a 5th Element 6.5 x 1.5 -- I was the one who PM'ed you when I found the frame tabs didn't match the bushings I got.

My LBS doesn't deal with Progressive, and Progressive won't sell any anymore. The place I last ordered from is sold out, and took the listing off their site.

I've had a Cane Creek AD10 since '98, so I've always had the extra travel, and it works great, but I would really like the platform of the 5th .

My LBS doesn't deal with Progressive, and Progressive won't sell any anymore. The place I last ordered from is sold out, and took the listing off their site.
    Did you contact Progessive? They deal consumer direct, and last I knew, they still made parts, and definately support them. I just had a shock I got from a friend, serviced, as it blew up. Fear not though, I bought it used, and rode it hard myself. I was not at all surprised by it's oil puking ways. 60 bucks, good as new

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, I did. I had great service from Beth DeLisle (Lead Cust. Svc. Tech.), who sent me some air valve caps and stickers for my shock. I later spoke with Marilyn who was looking into the frame tab issue - Progressive shows a '99 Super V using 15.8mm bushings, but I thought that my swingarm was used until the 2000 models came out with the bonded unit. My bike is an early '98 (Oct. '97) without disc tabs - but has a cable guide for the brake line .

Anyway, she didn't show any 22mm kits in stock, and was looking into the issue. This was November. She never called back. Upon calling in December (I think), I was told they both no longer work for them, and no fit kits will be sold. They had some in inventory for repair puposes only. I was told to have some made on my own .

If you could come across some, I'll gladly buy them

Yeah, I did. I had great service from Beth DeLisle (Lead Cust. Svc. Tech.), who sent me some air valve caps and stickers for my shock. I later spoke with Marilyn who was looking into the frame tab issue - Progressive shows a '99 Super V using 15.8mm bushings, but I thought that my swingarm was used until the 2000 models came out with the bonded unit. My bike is an early '98 (Oct. '97) without disc tabs - but has a cable guide for the brake line .

Anyway, she didn't show any 22mm kits in stock, and was looking into the issue. This was November. She never called back. Upon calling in December (I think), I was told they both no longer work for them, and no fit kits will be sold. They had some in inventory for repair puposes only. I was told to have some made on my own .

If you could come across some, I'll gladly buy them

What a PITA. Just spoke with them, and what they told me, lines up, with what they told you. Which flies in the face of what I was told, not 4 months ago. If the shocks didn't work so darn well, I'd be tempted to say nasty things........

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Our little tribe of Uber riders all run the Continental Vertical Pro UST on the rear.

Can't wait to see yours. Any progress photos?
    So you all run 2.3's then? The Dual's are very knobbly, so perhaps the extra height is the reason behind this. I might try a standard Vertical Pro, but it's all money if it still rubs, and still a loss selling it on ebay. Or, I might just run a 2.1 Dual instead.

Any advice for rubber in an often very muddy Scotland?

As regards pics, none yet. I might head off home and spend an hour on the bike now, and take a picture.

Unless her indoors has other plans for me of course - or - who knows!

So you all run 2.3's then? The Dual's are very knobbly, so perhaps the extra height is the reason behind this. I might try a standard Vertical Pro, but it's all money if it still rubs, and still a loss selling it on ebay. Or, I might just run a 2.1 Dual instead.

Any advice for rubber in an often very muddy Scotland?

I'd be very surprised if it rubbed. Are you using a really wide rim? As for mud, Conti's LOVE Eastern US mud, I think they'll like Scottish mire as well

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    I'd be very surprised if it rubbed. Are you using a really wide rim? As for mud, Conti's LOVE Eastern US mud, I think they'll like Scottish mire as well
    I'm running Halo SAS rims which are around 36mm wide, along with DH super thick innertubes, so I guess you could call them a wee bit wide

I've found a 2.1 Ritchey Mad Max 2 lurking about in my store so I fired that on the back last night, and shifted the 2.3 Dual onto the front - you can see how aggressive the Dual tread is on the front. Both rims are slightly to one side, but they were purchased from a friend to do me until I can afford a strong and light wheel set.

Anyway, the story so far.......

99 FR frame
    Jekyll swing arm
    05 Fox DHX 5.0
    05 Marz Z150FR ETA 20mm
    Diatech hubs/ SAS rims
    Husselfelt cranks 24/34/bash
    Raceface signature B/B
    Thomson Elite seatpost - gonna get black instead and move silver onto the Voodoo
    Easton Vice 50mm stem
    Raceface Diabolus DH bars - too short at 620mm so they're being moved too
    Hope headset

Excuse the quality - phone camera again

I've taken the advice before and left the steerer uncut - I usually chop it, but I'll try a combo of spacers to see what feels best.

So, with new bars and seat post required, that's the tyre issue laid to rest for a while.

Just need to source a mech hanger - forgot that the swing arm didn't come with one until I went to fit the mech , so I'll try derailleurhanger.com as the one from the Super V doesn't fit.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    scathel that thing is shaping up nicely! if anyone is interested in a uber converted frame pm me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Über-V Light

Über-V web.jpg

Here´s my Über-V Light that I´ve built from -97 SV 2000.
    In late 1999 it was replaced as a XC-racer by a Raven 4000 SL (still running BTW).
    I got the idea to make it more of an AM-bike and fitted a Judy 100 fork, which turned out to be too short for the stable handling I wanted. Fitted a Marz Z1 MRC -02 and got a way better ride, but the 145 mm Alps 5R rear shock took the fun out of biking with its lack of plattform and embarrassing gurgling noices!

Had some ideas about reworking the shockmount to fit a 165 mm shock I had, but it was this thread that finally got me going. Drilled new holes for the shock 20 mm forward of the old ones to retain the original BB-height. Fitted a 5th Air shock from my Raven and replaced that with its original Fox Float RC, that´s been Pushed by Tftuned to get a platform too
    The bike is fitted with a collection of old parts like a steel Shimano seatpost from the 80´s and Syncro Alu cranks. The only new parts are a Hope headset and Azonic handlebars with 2.5" rise to get a good position.

I´ve been on the lookout for a Jekyll swingarm but the ones I´ve seen on eBay.de are going for ridiculous prices, like 170 usd for a bonded version.

It would be interesting to know how the all-out Über-V´s are holding up when treated as 6" bikes should with drops and jumps etc ?

/Staffan

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Staffan
    Über-V web.jpg
    It would be interesting to know how the all-out Über-V´s are holding up when treated as 6" bikes should with drops and jumps etc ?
    No problem. With the shock properly tuned for bottom-out, it can easily handle aggressive trail-riding including 3-4' drops and gnarly rock gardens with a 215lb rider onboard. But the real beauty is in how it can turn around and climb right back up to the top of the hill for another run (travel adjustable fork recommended!).

JMX
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hi there!
    I've been lurking for a while - great thread you got going here!

I have a 96(?) Super V 500 in black/gold with the active 80 swingarm.

I asked my local CD dealer, and they want 400 or 600 Euro for a new arm (asked 2 salespeople and got 2 different prices ) or 100 for a pretty beat up CAAD 4.

So I'm waiting for one to appear on the 'bay.

My question: Does anybody here have a Manitou Swinger 4-way in their Über Vs, and if so do they like it? 5th elements are very rare where I live (Germany).

TIA

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    found antother picture from my superv time!!
    it was the first superv with caad4 rear end i payed at this time $400 for the spezial rear end!!

ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

superV700 2002

hi,
    a newbie,

after riding for 3 years, from '97 till '00, I sold my SuperV800,
    only to find out I missed it a lot,
    so from 2004 on, I was looking around to find a good SV,
    it took up to a month a go before I was satisfied,
    a guy emailed he had a 2002 SV700 frame for sale with Fatty and fox RP23damper,
    I also bought another bike for the parts so:
    now I'm the proud owner of a full-Shimano XT-equiped Super V700
    (XT=including discs andt hose lovely wheels)

I'll post some pictures next week,

mtbr member

My ex SUPER V 2000 sl

It is 98 model complete XT stuff this is my first FS bike now i hawe Kona Dawg Supreme..
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    here it is
    some changes are already done
    following:
    - tires : slicks
    - seatpost : alu
    - handlebar : wider

mtbr member

Finally Found the Old Pics........

Here is one of my old Super V's (sold this one years ago). It had been modified to match the travel of the ZZYZX.

Im still looking for my pics of my other V (my first ever MT Bike) or ill just shoot new pics.....its in my garage still
    DOH.....just realized the old Marzocchi pic is upside down and backwards......lol!
    Last edited by proxy; 02-16-2007 at 09:06 PM.
    PrOxY

Uber V Cripp
    Cool color. What size is it? Do you have a pic that shows the tabs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcamb
    Cool color. What size is it? Do you have a pic that shows the tabs?
    Thanks,
    This one started life as a garage sale frameset, in "Puke Green" & a size L/XL. The blue powder-paint color was done by GT's (long ago) paint contractor in GT Blue
    By "Tabs" do you mean the shock mounts? In any event, I'm sorry to say these are the only other images I appear to have saved (I think they were the ebay set....lol). I hope they help.
    Last edited by proxy; 02-16-2007 at 09:08 PM.
    PrOxY

Horizontally Compliant
    Hey all,

After much delay, I am finally getting my Uber build under way... only problem I have so far is the bushings for the 5th element shock... I got my shock off of Ebay and it came with a 41mm wide bushing in the rear (the front seems to fit the frame perfectly). I measured the shock mount on the Jekyll swingarm at 13mm. Does anybody know where I can find a set of bushings that will fit?? If not, what are my options? Has anyone had to modify (i.e. cut down) their bushings to fit? Mendon, RW420, JDCamb, anyone... please help.

Thanks!

Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Thread thread has a strong quasi-Craig's List Casual Encounters Man on Man vibe. I digress. As you were.

mtbr member
    I measured the shock mount on the Jekyll swingarm at 13mm. Does anybody know where I can find a set of bushings that will fit??
    The Jekyll swingarm has 15.8mm tab spacing. You can get a mount kit here:
    http://www.beyondbikes.com/BB/ItemDesc.asp?IC=QRS7620
    I'm not sure how long they'll be available so you might want to buy an extra set.
    Good Luck!

Horizontally Compliant
    Hey RW,

Thanks for the info

The photo of that mount kit looks exactly like what I already have, which is way too wide. Is this like most things online where the picture doesn't match the item exactly... kind of "one photo for all kits" type a thing?

Anyhow, I did re-measure the tabs on the swingarm with a different (and obviously more accurate) ruler and came up with the 15.8mm...

I'll pick up at least two sets since I just scored another Super V frame, so I'll be building a couple of Ubers now!!

Thanks again!
    Last edited by BigToe; 02-18-2007 at 11:44 AM.
    Thread thread has a strong quasi-Craig's List Casual Encounters Man on Man vibe. I digress. As you were.

mtbr member
    Is this like most things online where the picture doesn't match the item exactly... kind of "one photo for all kits" type a thing?
    yeah, they show the same pic for all three sizes they have in stock.

I'm disrespectful to dirt
    I'm still working on mine. Got most of the parts together this week, and I hope to have it running by this weekend. I ended up using a Cane Creek Double Xc headset with an older 1-1/8" Judy SL, but I think it's going to be too steep a head angle with the original rear shock. Pictures to follow soon...
    o l d s c h o o l m t b
    Wanted:
    Mavic 117/217 rims
    Gravity Research parts
    Yo Eddy in Aqua Fade
    XTR 1" threaded headset

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I finally finished my uber and set it up mostly the way I want it. I haven't cut the steerer tube yet, just experimenting with moving spacers lower one at a time.

Thanks to all who helped, particularly Craig of Mendon Cycle Smith who got the rear triangle for me.

Jerry

I'm disrespectful to dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun K
    I'm still working on mine. Got most of the parts together this week, and I hope to have it running by this weekend. I ended up using a Cane Creek Double Xc headset with an older 1-1/8" Judy SL, but I think it's going to be too steep a head angle with the original rear shock. Pictures to follow soon...
    Well, I got through part of the rebuild tonight. It's just nice to see it looking like a bike again; it was a bare frame for over 3 years and I bought this thing brand new in 1996, so it was sad to see it fade like that. Most of the parts are retro/oldskool, partly because I like that stuff and partly because I'm on a serious budget now and I need to build it with what I have. A new fork and rear shock are in the diaper fund now

o l d s c h o o l m t b
    Wanted:
    Mavic 117/217 rims
    Gravity Research parts
    Yo Eddy in Aqua Fade
    XTR 1" threaded headset

mtbr member

DH frame different. .

The recieving tab where the swingarm bolts is different on the 4000DH vs. jekyll and superV. It's not "tubular" shaped, it's a solid chunk of a triangular tab. Cannondale wisely beefed this point up for the DH frames. No worky without machine work.

Anybody need a jekyll swingarm?!

jeff
    Last edited by az1jeff; 02-27-2007 at 10:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The Jekyll swingarm has 15.8mm tab spacing. You can get a mount kit here:
    http://www.beyondbikes.com/BB/ItemDesc.asp?IC=QRS7620
    I'm not sure how long they'll be available so you might want to buy an extra set.
    Good Luck!
    Thanks for the link! I just ordered 2 kits 30mm wide, and I'll trim them down to 22mm.

I'll keep my 15.8mm sets for future use.

Horizontally Compliant

Help with 5th Element Air

After nearly 5 months of planning and collecting parts, I finally completed my Uber V last night!! (Pics coming tomorrow)

So far everything is perfect... with the exception of the 5th Element Air shock.

When I first received it, I checked the pressures, etc. and just for baseline settings, ended up setting it at 125psi in the main and 85psi in the IFP (both well within spec)... and then it sat in a box for 3 months, patiently waiting for me to finish the bike. During the build, I had the shock on the bike while I was mocking it up for measurements, test fitting parts, etc. Whenever I'd sit on the bike, it felt great... I could tell it was going to be a sweet ride... That is, until I had to install the chain last night.

When sizing up the chain length I followed the advice to air down the shock so that I could compensate for chain growth (which was 3/4" on my bike BTW). However, when I aired the shock back up, it was never the same as before... it feels totally soft now, even with the same psi settings as before, and it seems really inconsistent as to when the platform kicks in. Rebound is also all over the map. Compressing the rear of the bike 10 times in a row with the same amount of force and velocity generated very inconsistent results. I followed Progressive's setup guide to a T, airing up the IFP first, then the main chamber. No matter what I do, it's still mush. I even resorted to running it up to max psi in both chambers, 125 in the IFP and 150 in the main, but it's still obviously way too soft. Sitting on the bike eats up about 2/3 of the travel for sag, and riding it around it feels like a chopper with the arse end so squatted down.

Keep in mind I am a true Clyde @ 6'4" and 230#, however, as I mentioned earlier, the shock felt great on my initial installation, before airing it down.

What gives? Did I ruin my shock, or am I missing something on setting it up? Anyone know of any "bike Viagra" I can use to stiffen this shock up? Please help, I'd like to take this sick bike out for it's maiden voyage this weekend.

Thanks,
    ToeCutter

P.S. I'll also post this in the "Let's talk about shocks" forum... I just figured this might be a good place to post since there are so many guys in this thread that have a lot of experience with this shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Add another completed uber

My SV900 is much happier these days. Thanks to Mendon for the advise on the bushings/geometry/etc. Rides nicely, have not taken any big drops yet but much smoother ride with the cloud-9 and marz fork. Also, many thanks on the tab fabrication pics and comments. Eased the nerves with the dremel. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice build JS.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    After nearly 5 months of planning and collecting parts, I finally completed my Uber V last night!! (Pics coming tomorrow)

So far everything is perfect... with the exception of the 5th Element Air shock.

When I first received it, I checked the pressures, etc. and just for baseline settings, ended up setting it at 125psi in the main and 85psi in the IFP (both well within spec)... and then it sat in a box for 3 months, patiently waiting for me to finish the bike. During the build, I had the shock on the bike while I was mocking it up for measurements, test fitting parts, etc. Whenever I'd sit on the bike, it felt great... I could tell it was going to be a sweet ride... That is, until I had to install the chain last night.

When sizing up the chain length I followed the advice to air down the shock so that I could compensate for chain growth (which was 3/4" on my bike BTW). However, when I aired the shock back up, it was never the same as before... it feels totally soft now, even with the same psi settings as before, and it seems really inconsistent as to when the platform kicks in. Rebound is also all over the map. Compressing the rear of the bike 10 times in a row with the same amount of force and velocity generated very inconsistent results. I followed Progressive's setup guide to a T, airing up the IFP first, then the main chamber. No matter what I do, it's still mush. I even resorted to running it up to max psi in both chambers, 125 in the IFP and 150 in the main, but it's still obviously way too soft. Sitting on the bike eats up about 2/3 of the travel for sag, and riding it around it feels like a chopper with the arse end so squatted down.

Keep in mind I am a true Clyde @ 6'4" and 230#, however, as I mentioned earlier, the shock felt great on my initial installation, before airing it down.

What gives? Did I ruin my shock, or am I missing something on setting it up? Anyone know of any "bike Viagra" I can use to stiffen this shock up? Please help, I'd like to take this sick bike out for it's maiden voyage this weekend.

Thanks,
    ToeCutter

P.S. I'll also post this in the "Let's talk about shocks" forum... I just figured this might be a good place to post since there are so many guys in this thread that have a lot of experience with this shock.
    If 150psi is indeed the max pressure you can put in the main spring, I don't see that shock working for someone of your size. My SV 900 wasn't an uber, but I don't think an Uber will be too much different (if at all) on the leverage ratio and I had to run about the same psi as my weight (meaning you would need to run about 230psi) to get correct sag and good performance. Yours is doing what I would expect it to do under the conditions you describe.

Regards,
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Thanks Jerry

It was enjoyable working on this project. Your set up is nice as well! How do you like the layback seatpost?

I had some issues trying to get the rear disk brakes to stop oscillating... I really had to tighten the caliper bolts beyond what I was comfortable with. Will have to see if they stay quiet through the season.

Overall, the bike rides much nicer. I was having a hard time deciding whether to buy new or to go ahead and roll up the sleeves. I stumbled across this thread a few months ago. After riding with a buddy and taking a serious DH with my original headshock rattling my greymatter I decided it was time to look at a new bike or see if there was anything I could do with the SV. Many thanks to everyone who has posted!

Horizontally Compliant
    Turns out the problem with my shock was a bad valve core. Took it to the LBS and the guy took one look at it, said it looked like it had the wrong valve, replaced it, and voila! all better. With the wrong core in there, whenever I was pumping it up, the air wasn't entering the shock, at least not much of it anyway... the pressure was building in the stem and pump, giving me false readings.

My Uber is 100% complete now... I'll try and get some pics tonight and post 'em up.

Toe

Horizontally Compliant
    Last edited by BigToe; 03-03-2007 at 09:38 AM.

Horizontally Compliant

Add another Uber to the list!!

What's up with all the silver Ubers??? I thought I was going to be original with mine, but it looks just like the last two!!

Anyhew, without further ado, my Uber is now 100% complete and ready to rip!!

Before: (The meager beginning)

Super V 002.jpg

Stock Specs:
    Head angle: 69.5
    BB height: 12 3/8"
    Wheelbase: 42 1/2"
    Travel: 80?mm front, 80mm rear
    Weight: 34lbs

And After: (Enter Bionic soundbite here)

Uber V 018.jpg

Uber V 024.jpg

Uber V 025.jpg

"After" Specs:
    Head angle: 68 with the fork open - 71 with it dialed down in climbing mode.
    BB height: 13 1/4"
    Wheelbase: 43 1/2"
    Travel: 150mm front, 150mm rear
    Weight: 30lbs

Ok, so I scored another frame along the way... I liked this color scheme better, and now I have another Uber to build!!

The current parts spec is as follows:

Frame: '98 Super V (XL)
    Swingarm: '04? Jekyll - Thanks Mendon!!
    Headset: Cane Creek Double XC Short
    Fork: Maverick DUC32 w/med crown + 100mm stem
    Shock: 5th Element Air
    Rims: Mavic 823
    Hubs: Hadley Rear, Maverick Front
    Spokes: DT Swiss Comp
    Tires: Kenda Small Block 8, 2.1"+ Stans Sealant
    Brakes: Avid Juicy Carbon, 203mm front, 160mm rear
    Crankset: Shimano Saint 175mm, FC-M800-3 44/32/22
    Front DR: SRAM X-Gen
    Rear DR: SRAM XO
    Shifters: SRAM XO Twist
    Chain: SRAM PC 990
    Cassette: SRAM PG 990
    Bars: Easton EA70 MonkeyBar, 2" rise
    Grips: Ergon RM2
    Seat & Post: Stock Coda Junk (soon to be replaced)

I've only ridden it around the neighborhood and on a little trail that the local kids ride their dirt bikes on but I can already say that the transformation is incredible!! The bike is so well balanced now, it's light and very fast, with a low center of gravity and it's super quiet. It also jumps really, really well. With the inherent stiffness of the Super V frame combined with the Maverick fork & 24mm hub and the Saint crankset, the bike is now rediculously stiff, there is virtually no flex whatsoever, even with my 230# fat arse on it. It feels as though it's been doing steroids and consuming a steady diet of bike viagra. I haven't ridden anything that can touch it. I built it to do everything, a true "All Mountain" rig and I think it will fit the bill perfectly.

Maiden Voyage this Sunday!!

Special thanks to Mendon, RW420, JDCamb, and all the others who contributed to this post.

Toe

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Nice Looking Rig

Glad to see the pics posted! Very sweet build Toe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Toe your frame is mint! I agree it's a good color combo.

I haven't seen your Maverick fork before. It looks super. How much does it weigh altogether? I went with 160 mm too. My Marzocchi AM1 weighs about 5.5 pounds. (Altogether my V weighs 31 or 32 pounds.) The AM1 is pretty slack on my medium frame, but it makes a great freeride rig and the fork drops down nicely for uphill or around town. I don't think anyone should go any slacker though. I followed the advice on this thread not to cut the steerer tube right away, but the front end is plenty tall, so I'm getting the stem cut down tomorrow.

JS, I got the idea for the layback seatpost on one of the first pages in this thread. It's called a Titec El Norte Bent. It was about $25 from universalcycles.com I see they are charging $41 for them now though. The main problem is that they aren't long enough for these low top tube bikes. I tried it on my Prophet too. They only come in 350 mm. I wrote Titec customer service and asked if they make 390 mm or 420 mm and they said "no, but thanks for your input."

I like to ride a bike that is just big enough - I'm 6 feet tall - my Prophet is a medium. I could ride a large or a medium. I didn't really know what size this Super V was. I ordered it before Christmas from a guy in Chicago who had the bike for sale on Craigslist. I googled him and he was willing to ship. It is in very good shape, only a bit of the CANNONDALE logo peeled off when I unboxed it. The dude really had it taped in there good!

A medium Super V is just a bit smaller than a medium Prophet. I have a regular setback post on my Prophet that is much longer than 350 mm. I find that I need the saddle on my Uber an inch or two higher than the Titec El Norte Bent's maximum extension will allow, so I'm not going to be able to use it. It looks kinda cool though, eh?

mtbr member
    A medium Super V is just a bit smaller than a medium Prophet.
    I agree. Anybody that's never had a super V and is considering one or doing this modification should know they "run small." I typically ride a medium, but can comfortably ride a large Super V. . .IMO.

Horizontally Compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by js7665
    Glad to see the pics posted! Very sweet build Toe.
    Thanks! Yeah, it took me forever to figure out that I could only upload one photo at a time, regardless of how small I made them. I don't know if that's just a problem I was having or if that is typical for this forum.

Toe your frame is mint! I agree it's a good color combo.

I haven't seen your Maverick fork before. It looks super. How much does it weigh altogether?
    Thanks Jerry... yeah, hard to believe that frame was sitting in my buddy's bone pile!

The Maverick fork is only 3.9lbs! The bike, as pictured, weighed in right at 30lbs. I was really hoping to break into the high 20's, but between the wheelset I chose and the Saint crank, it just wasn't going to happen. I'm still really happy to have hit 30lbs tho... not bad for a 6" travel bike, even by today's standards. By "Uber-ing" it, it lost a solid 4lbs and gained 2 inches of travel front and rear, as well as gaining the incredible stiffness I raved about earlier.

I rode it again around the 'hood today... I'm still just blown away with the performance. It definitely feels like a brand new bike. As mentioned earlier in this thread, a good platform shock totally transforms these bikes. For those that are thinking of Uberizing their Super V's, believe the hype, IMO these bikes can be as good as any current "All-Mountain" bike out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    is there any other shock in 7.5 i2i that would be a good choice for an uber V?
    i'm having a hard time sourcing any 5th elements. i am also new to suspension bikes in general, this will be my very first departure from the land of hard tales. what about the Fox DHX

Horizontally Compliant
    is there any other shock in 7.5 i2i that would be a good choice for an uber V?
    i'm having a hard time sourcing any 5th elements... what about the Fox DHX
    I hear ya man, the 5ths are getting rarer by the minute!! Although, there was one on Ebay a few weeks ago that went for something like $85!!!

If you read this entire thread, you'll see that there are some guys that are running the DHX on their Ubers and they seem to work well... it offers a lot more tunability than the 5th, with the only caveat being that the platform transition isn't quite as smooth. Don't let this stop you tho. If I had to do it all over again (and I'm going to with Uber II), I'd probably run a DHX or a Manitou Swinger 4-way for several reasons... First off, I don't know what size you are, but the 5th is not really adequate for Clydesdales on the Uber V. Mine is at max PSI settings and still running a bit of excess sag. It's workable, but not ideal. Also, there is the whole ordeal of trying to acquire a 5th Element shock, trying to find the right mounts, and the fact that support in the future remains a big question mark. I'd go with something mainstream from a manufacturer that has been in the business for a while with no hint of getting out of it... i.e. Fox, Manitou, Etc.

Good luck with your Uber and be sure to post pics when you get it rolling!

mtbr member
    Nice BigToe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    this is my superv with the world first combo that use a caad4 swingarm on his superv!! i payed $400 for this swingarm!
    Last edited by 8664; 06-21-2009 at 12:14 AM.

ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Good colors. I'm really a fan of Lefties too. They are just more expensive than almost any fork out there.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Well done Jason. That is one of the nicest Ubers I've seen. Great attention to details. That Maverick is the crowning jewel.

Regards,
    Jeff

[ATTACH]241547

Nice build! That's a sweet looking rig The swingarm color looks great too! Enjoy, and do post a ride report

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The Maverick fork is only 3.9lbs!
    Even with the crown it's only 3.9?! That thing is amazing. And I thought Marz was the standard to shoot for. The Maverick is definitely the new uber standard.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast