mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Any Small frame UberV's out there?

I have been following all of the Uber threads and considering modifying my size small, yr '00 Super V frame, but I foresee a few possible hangups. I most definitely do not have room to move the shock mount 7/8 forward. I may not be able to move it forward at all. I also have the bonded arm that has started to separate already. So, adding a Jekyll arm is necessary, but it won't allow me to add a longer shock.

Correct me if I'm wrong(not uncommon), but without any other changes, a longer shock would steepen the ht angle. Is it possible to compensate by adding a taller fork? I have the super fatty head shock on there now.

So, I guess my main question is, is my small frame limiting me to 120mm of rear travel?

mtbr member
    I recently built up a small Uber Lite for my buddy's wife. A picture of it is posted here. It's the first small frame I've had an opportunity to check out. It really doesn't look like there's enough room to move the forward shock mount very much. We have successfully modified medium frames but even those are close.

I don't think you could use a tall enough fork to compensate for a longer shock without frame modification. Given the 3:1 leverage ratio, you would need to raise the front of the bike 3 times the amount of the additional shock length. For example, if you replace your 6.5" shock with a 7.5" you will gain about 7/8" i2i under sag. You would have to raise the HT 3x as much, or about 2.6" to compensate for this increase without increasing the HT angle. Since the fork is not perpendicular to the ground, you would need one that is about 3.4" taller than the current headshok in order to avoid a steeper HT angle. If you do all that, you would also end up with a BB height that is 2.6" taller than the current setup.

So, IMO the small frame is probably best left at 120mm travel. It's still worth the upgrade though. Get a good 6.5" rear shock and a new fork and you'll be very happy with the results.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    rw420,
    I thought with you guys mentioned that 99 and up frame doesn't require cutting, no? I have no experience since my frame is 97, I would have to cut.

j vegas,
    In any case, if you still want to ride your bike for now, I have a SL100 swingarm that you can have for free. That will give you some time to look for a jekyll swingarm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oister
    rw420,
    I thought with you guys mentioned that 99 and up frame doesn't require cutting, no? I have no experience since my frame is 97, I would have to cut.
    Only the '99 frames have short tabs.

'96.5-'98 and '00-'02 have long tabs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rw420
    Only the '99 frames have short tabs.

'96.5-'98 and '00-'02 have long tabs.
    ICIC, thanks for the clarification. btw, what is the stand over height of your buddy's wife's bike after it was built? I am curious as to how a small frame will fit a shorter rider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oister
    ICIC, thanks for the clarification. btw, what is the stand over height of your buddy's wife's bike after it was built? I am curious as to how a small frame will fit a shorter rider.
    Not my wife - ajm's wife. If you ask the question over on the 'Post your Uber V' thread he'll probably measure for you. I think she's 5'4". The bike fits her pretty well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the response.

Oister,
    I really appreciate the offer, but I think that may not improve my situation. The shock mount on my swingarm is in the same location as the Jekyll(i.e, further back than the other V arms). So, adding that swingarm would, in effect, be just liking adding a longer shock, which rw420 just explained was a bad idea.

rw420,
    Am I wrong in my assumption above? How were other small frames set up with the other swing arms? Did they come with shorter shocks, or even steeper HT angles?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j vegas
    Thanks for the response.

Oister,
    I really appreciate the offer, but I think that may not improve my situation. The shock mount on my swingarm is in the same location as the Jekyll(i.e, further back than the other V arms). So, adding that swingarm would, in effect, be just liking adding a longer shock, which rw420 just explained was a bad idea.

rw420,
    Am I wrong in my assumption above? How were other small frames set up with the other swing arms? Did they come with shorter shocks, or even steeper HT angles?
    You are correct. The earlier models came with shorter shocks. Although modern platform shocks are available in shorter sizes, it probably wouldn't be worth the investment just to end up with even less travel than you have now. Try to find a Jekyll swingarm like this one and you'll be all set.