Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Any FlasH Carbon 29'er 1'S out there?

In a bit I'll be getting one of these but I still haven't seen any decent pictures of this bike. I know the differences betweeen the 1 and 2 are small but still I'd like to see what the 1 REALLY looks like.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    In a bit I'll be getting one of these but I still haven't seen any decent pictures of this bike. I know the differences betweeen the 1 and 2 are small but still I'd like to see what the 1 REALLY looks like.
    Yep, here's mine. Totally rebuilding mine from stock. Full XX, I9 wheels with Race rims, SI SL cranks....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any FlasH Carbon 29'er 1'S out there?-img_0687.jpg  

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    that is a poor photo
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    If you would have scrolled down the first page of topics, aka searching, you would have found this HUGE topic Lots of pics in this one...

...First photos of a flash carbon 29er...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    that is a poor photo
    Phone is a poor camera.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    At least you are spending your money on what is important.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    If you would have scrolled down the first page of topics, aka searching, you would have found this HUGE topic Lots of pics in this one...

...First photos of a flash carbon 29er...
    He's asking about 1's. I believe those are all 2's, there's a big difference between the 1 and 2. My 1 is scheduled to ship this week, hopefully it will actually happen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan
    I believe those are all 2's, there's a big difference between the 1 and 2.
    You are correct, the 2 has white decorative lines, the lines on the 1 are red. I'm sure that makes the bike a little faster.

Other than that, it's really only the components that are different. You find those listed on Cannondale's website.
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderInTraining
    You are correct, the 2 has white decorative lines, the lines on the 1 are red. I'm sure that makes the bike a little faster.

Other than that, it's really only the components that are different. You find those listed on Cannondale's website.
    the 1 has the SAVE seatpost and the 50g lighter lefty fork the frames are exactly the same as the 2 other than the white or red graphics.

i'm really dumbfounded on why cannondale didn't offer a flash carbon 29er with a SRAM XX and Cannondale hollowgram option.

after owning my flash 29er for little over a month i'm starting to regret selling my scalpel somehow my 29er kool-aid tastes bland.

mtbr member
    Hey, at least you're being honest. Let us know what you think of the bike in a few months Hal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba
    Let us know what you think of the bike in a few months Hal.
    Oh the bike is fantastic the SRAM XX is the BEST shifting grouppo i've ever had not as notchy as the X.0 but not as vague as the XTR i find myself changing gears more often now then i ever did in the past.

the problem with the bike is that i'm just not "getting it" yet it's just not like getting on my old bike and off i go it is more like i'm not comfortable riding it i really like the way my last few bikes handled scott scale ltd, titus racer x and my scalpel 100 this bike i regret buying but i'm stuck now so i'll have to make it work.

perhaps as i ride it more i'll come around but it's not like instant true love that i felt when i rode my scalpel a few years back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    ... the problem with the bike is that i'm just not "getting it" yet it's just not like getting on my old bike and off i go it is more like i'm not comfortable riding it i really like the way my last few bikes handled scott scale ltd, titus racer x and my scalpel 100 this bike i regret buying but i'm stuck now so i'll have to make it work.

perhaps as i ride it more i'll come around but it's not like instant true love that i felt when i rode my scalpel a few years back.
    I've got a brand-new-in-the-box-US-made 2010 Team Scalpel frame to sell if you're interested. And to make it even more convenient, I'm located in Houston as well. Just saying...

mtbr member
    Hal does it feel as comfortable on long rides as your scalpel did? And does it kick or buck like most hardtails or is S.A.V.E. that good? I have a scalpel as well and was thinking of trading it in for a Flash 29er 2 but I was worried about it on longer rides which I like to take. With my scalpel I can ride all day and not feel hammered.

P.S. Thanks for your Honesty
    Moe
    <--Thats Me
    Cdale Flash 29er Carbon 3
    Cdale Flash 29er 2
    Cdale Scalpel Lefty
    Cdale Rush Lefty (2)
    Roots
    Rocks
    Raggae

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Moe
    Hal does it feel as comfortable on long rides as your scalpel did?
    it's a hard tail i rode hardtails till 05' so it's not like something new to me.

i'm getting a flat bar for the bike thinking that this will lower me some so i'm not so upright and in a more comfortable position.

i would like to try a 110mm stem rather than the 100mm it came with but the damn cannondale si stems are a PITA to remove and i'd have to buy a 110mm stem just to try it no one has a loaner.

mtbr member
    it's a hard tail i rode hardtails till 05' so it's not like something new to me.

i'm getting a flat bar for the bike thinking that this will lower me some so i'm not so upright and in a more comfortable position.

i would like to try a 110mm stem rather than the 100mm it came with but the damn cannondale si stems are a PITA to remove and i'd have to buy a 110mm stem just to try it no one has a loaner.
    Talk to Ken at the shop. Have him replace the SI stem with a regular steerer and stem. I'm certain he will let you try out different stems until you find what works for you.

I'll probably have to go that route as well, since it looks like the -5 degree is the lowest SI stem I can get.

mtbr member
    Talk to Ken at the shop. Have him replace the SI stem with a regular steerer and stem. I'm certain he will let you try out different stems until you find what works for you.
    yeah talking to someone else that has a lot of knowlege about bikes than i do his suggestion was the flat bar longer stem and zero offset seatpost to get me more forward on the bike.

the issue seems to be i'm too upright and the bike feels like a damn beach cruiser.

the Si stem steerer is a total PITA to remove i'll drop by and see Ken next week and see if i can put a regular steerer in it and try a 110 or 120 stem that will much better than trying to swap out those Si stem steerers.

i still have the problem with getting air into the lefty the 1/8 ballbearing and shock pump trick only works as a band-aid the valve core is seated too deep and the airchuck from the pump will not go in deep enough hence the 1/8 bb trick.

mtbr member
    ... i still have the problem with getting air into the lefty the 1/8 ballbearing and shock pump trick only works as a band-aid the valve core is seated too deep and the airchuck from the pump will not go in deep enough hence the 1/8 bb trick.
    I had the same problem in the past until I got the Topeak Pocket Shock. Works without a problem on my Carbon 2.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Glad I have gotten rid of my 2008 Scalpel. Good luck with the fit. Ride on!!!

mtbr member
    Hi! I am a newbie to this forum. I just picked up my Flash Carbon 29er 1 last week. With the changes below the bike (size M) weighs 19.62 lbs

Stan's Crest Rims
    Stan's Raven 2.2 Tires
    WTB Rocket V SLT Saddle (Gobi's nose too hard for me)
    XTR 11-34 Cassette
    Ritchey Superlogic Rizer Bars
    ESI Chunky Fuel Grips
    Crank Bros 4ti Pedals
    Any FlasH Carbon 29'er 1'S out there?-cannondale-flash-carbon-29er-1-low-res-003.jpg

I have only ridden it once at Cameron Park in Waco last weekend. It rolls fast, climbs like a rocket, and handles technical rocky/root sections well. However, fast rocky descents had me wishing I was on my Pivot Mach 4. Those SAVE stays do very little to dampem the jolts. This is a STIFF frame.

The main reason I got the 1 vs. the 2 was the SL Lefty. It weighs 1,179g vs. 1,345g for the Lefty 29er Carbon w/DLR. That is .37 lb difference. The FSA crank is pretty light and it comes with Elixir CR Mag brakes, which are almost as light as XX. The main difference is in the heavy 185mm rotor on the front and it will be gone soon.

I'll report back after I get some more saddle time. I'm with Hal; I'm not so sure this Kool Aid is as great as everybody says. The ultimate solution would be a 3" travel Hi-Mod 29er Scalpel with hollowgram SL and XX. Cannondale - Are you listening?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nice setup! Any idea what the out-of-box weight was?

[QUOTE=TX Flash]Hi! I am a newbie to this forum. I just picked up my Flash Carbon 29er 1 last week. With the changes below the bike (size M) weighs 19.62 lbs

mtbr member
    The part changes made the following weight reductions:

Arch to Crest rims - 200g
    Fizik to WTB saddle - 40g
    Truvatil Al to Ritchey Carbon Bar - 126g
    PG 950 to XTR cassette - 140g

That's a total of 506g or 1.11 lbs, which would make the original weight about 20.73 lbs. The bike came with some egg beaters that I never weighed, but if you took off the bottle cage and put on the heavier eggbeaters I think it still would be a touch under 21 lbs. That's still pretty light. My Flash is 5 full pounds lighter than my Pivot Mach 4 w/XTR ultralight kit.
    The Flash Carbon 1 is supposed to come with an XT or SRAM PG-990 cassette. Cannondale sent a relacement XT to me no charge. It is probably 100g lighter than the cassette that came on the bike. That would bring the out of the box weight to about 20.5 lbs.
    It is really fun to stand up and blast up short hills on this bike. It similar to accelerating on a road bike with fat tires. Sweet!

mtbr member
    May 2005

Gee, thanks for you keen insight.The ONLY thing that is the same is the frame, sorry I figured everyone might already know that.

And for Hal 9000, unless my math is wrong, 1345 minus 1179 is a bit more than 50 grams.

My guess is the 1 comes out of the box at 20 with a whole lot of room to get it sub 19.

mtbr member
    Hal,

My LBS changed out my one piece 100mm stem steerer for a 110mm in about a half an hour. No problem. The one-piece s/s is fairly light and much stronger than any two piece bolt together.
    I think that I am about your same size - 5'11" with a 34" inseam. Your L size top tube is 30.48mm longer tham my medium. With my 110 stem you are still stretched out 20 mm more than me. Do you ride with your knee over the pedal axle?

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Now that's a picture!

As for the stem/fit issue I'm guessing I won't be happy with a -5 stem, but who knows.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast