mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Any changes for the 05 Scalpel?

Looking to upgrade the '96 M500 to a full suspension bike. Most of my riding is XC type and I thought the Scalpel would fit the bill nicely. Has anyone heard of any changes for the 05 Scalpel?

Any thoughts on the Scalpel in general?

I ride therefore I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbakercad
    Looking to upgrade the '96 M500 to a full suspension bike. Most of my riding is XC type and I thought the Scalpel would fit the bill nicely. Has anyone heard of any changes for the 05 Scalpel?

I haven't heard of any changes for '05. My '03 frame is extremely fast and light I would be hard pressed to ride any other bike for XC racing.

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    The Scalpel is by far the best XC racing bike! If you want something that feels like a hardtail but with all the smooth ride of the dual suspension, go for it!

If you want to go on Enduro rides and ride only technical stuff and don't like climbing then go with longer travel.

If however you prefer climbing and ride a lot on flat surface and speed is all that matters or if you're a racer, then go for the scalpel a 100%, it's a bike for you!

Uhhhhh...

SRAM and Fox rear shocks i've heard about. From a decent, trustable guy who works at a Cannondale dealerships.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Factory Pilot
    BigJay is right on the money. Dan Gerous posted the Euro specs for 05 Cannondales in reply to donkeykongchamp's post on the 11th. You should check them out. I see that their Scalpels will be sporting Carbon Lefty's exclusively.. I just got a cramp in my wallet..

I ride therefore I am.

There is a picture of the team Scalpel ? in the thread about the new '05 Prophet.
    Looks to be following the six13 with the carbon fiber sections in the frame.

Decisions.....decisions

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have no aspirations of racing. I do enjoy moderately technical single tracks, fire roads, rail trails, and a nice long climbs. Since I'm not a racer, is the Scalpel still a good choice? The Jekyll is nice too but I thought the longer travel would be wasted on everything except the single tracks (roughly 25% of my time). Then the Prophet is even more a step in the wrong direction with the increased travel, I think.

Anything else I should consider for a 'trail bike'?

BTW,
    thanks for all of the responses

I ride therefore I am.

Good job!

I have no aspirations of racing. I do enjoy moderately technical single tracks, fire roads, rail trails, and a nice long climbs. Since I'm not a racer, is the Scalpel still a good choice? The Jekyll is nice too but I thought the longer travel would be wasted on everything except the single tracks (roughly 25% of my time). Then the Prophet is even more a step in the wrong direction with the increased travel, I think.

Anything else I should consider for a 'trail bike'?

BTW,
    thanks for all of the responses

A moderately equipped Scalpel would work well if your not racing. I like my Jekyll for fun all-around riding, set up its about 27 lbs. great climber with the rear Manitou SPV three-way and the front Lefty MAX TPC+ there is very little pedal bob. It is the funnest bike I have ever rode. Jumping, technical, mild down hill, mild urban, single track, fire roads...its just a great all-around bike.

LA CHÈVRE

Carbon Scalpel

I don't know if or when it's going to be released, but check out the pictures of Christoph Sauser's Scalpel.

Last edited by Dan Gerous; 08-17-2004 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added picture

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :