Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 103

Thread: Any 2008 Info?

  1. #1
    Light, Strong and Long
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    194

    Any 2008 Info?

    Is there any information out on 2008 bikes yet? I've seen the stuff on the scalple but nothing else
    Everyones got a little weight weinee in them

  2. #2
    I like to ride my bike.
    Reputation: RideFaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,575
    At Mt.Snow yesterday, I got to speak with a cool C'dale fellow. Here is what I remember.

    The DLR2s will have Fox RLC damping.
    Carbon and Alu. (w/carbon rear triangle) 2008 Scalpels ....being called the Scalpel.
    A slacker head angle on the new Scalpel. I got to lift it up and it was quite light.
    No travel adj. Lefty for the Prophet. They tried it last year but it had too many bugs.
    The Prophet will remain basically unchanged.

    I dunno. If I remember anything else I'll post it. I'm sure everything I just said has been posted in other threads, but it's too hard to try and search for.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

  3. #3
    Like catnip for people
    Reputation: ar1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by RideFaster
    At Mt.Snow yesterday, I got to speak with a cool C'dale fellow. Here is what I remember.

    The DLR2s will have Fox RLC damping.
    Carbon and Alu. (w/carbon rear triangle) 2008 Scalpels ....being called the Scalpel.
    A slacker head angle on the new Scalpel. I got to lift it up and it was quite light.
    No travel adj. Lefty for the Prophet. They tried it last year but it had too many bugs.
    The Prophet will remain basically unchanged.

    I dunno. If I remember anything else I'll post it. I'm sure everything I just said has been posted in other threads, but it's too hard to try and search for.
    I was looking around and apparently last year (2006) they released information about the whole line up a lot earlier than July... So I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been more news, yet... Kind of disappointing really...

  4. #4
    Light, Strong and Long
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    194
    DLR2 leftys with Fox RLC dampening!!

    OH SNAP!!!

    I'm officially buying a 2008 rush instead of a 2007.
    Everyones got a little weight weinee in them

  5. #5
    I like to ride my bike.
    Reputation: RideFaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,575
    My guess would be that lower-end C'dales with Lefties will get either a DLR2 like this year or a Fox R, RL etc...and work their way up to RLC. Although, I have no actual reason to believe this.

    The guy also said something about the SI cranks dropping more weight.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

  6. #6
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,402
    Yep! The SI Hollowgram SL crankset is lighter by 60grams... and apparently just as stiff! The road version comes standard with ceramic bearings, not sure about the mountain version though.

    The new Scalpel will be available in a very limited edition. The Dan Gerous Signature bike will have just a matte clearcoat on the carbon frame to save even more weight and will have the Hollogram SL crankset back with the shorter spindle and the 2x9 spider and rings.... A man can dream!

    Seriously, a slacker head angle? The Scalpel's 70 head angle is already considered quite slack in XC race bike standards.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  7. #7
    I like to ride my bike.
    Reputation: RideFaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Yep! The SI Hollowgram SL crankset is lighter by 60grams... and apparently just as stiff! The road version comes standard with ceramic bearings, not sure about the mountain version though.

    The new Scalpel will be available in a very limited edition. The Dan Gerous Signature bike will have just a matte clearcoat on the carbon frame to save even more weight and will have the Hollogram SL crankset back with the shorter spindle and the 2x9 spider and rings.... A man can dream!

    Seriously, a slacker head angle? The Scalpel's 70 head angle is already considered quite slack in XC race bike standards.
    I thought I heard 60 grams, but was afraid to be wrong and get in trouble with you guys!
    With the head angle, the guys did not seem to know what it was. Originally the guy was saying 66, 67 ( ...I'm serious)...while he said earlier that the racers wanted a faster accelerating bike... . Obveously, they may not have been the best info source, but my guess would be 70-71.
    I demo'ed a 2006 Scalpel and it felt PERFECT for racing, I don't know why they would change it....and give it more travel. I doubt the sponsored racers will be getting use of all 90mm of travel when they have their suspension set at 10% sag. 67mm seemed like a good balance.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    656
    There are 4 29ers and a possible 29er Scalpel according to rumor. Here is a link to the new 29ers, one of which has the carbon lefty:

    http://www.twentynineinches.com/

  9. #9
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,402
    Quote Originally Posted by RideFaster
    I thought I heard 60 grams, but was afraid to be wrong and get in trouble with you guys!
    With the head angle, the guys did not seem to know what it was. Originally the guy was saying 66, 67 ( ...I'm serious)...while he said earlier that the racers wanted a faster accelerating bike... . Obveously, they may not have been the best info source, but my guess would be 70-71.
    I demo'ed a 2006 Scalpel and it felt PERFECT for racing, I don't know why they would change it....and give it more travel. I doubt the sponsored racers will be getting use of all 90mm of travel when they have their suspension set at 10% sag. 67mm seemed like a good balance.
    66, 67? That's slacker than a Prophet in FR mode! No way! This guy was definitly not a good source of info. I'm expecting the geometry to stay close to the current 70 head angle...

    As for the added travel, maybe every racers don't need that much but nobody loses. The reason for short travel is that it's usually lighter and stiffer than a longer travel bike. If Cannondale managed to up the travel to 90mm but still drop weight and make a stiffer bike, even if you set the suspension to only use 67mm of the travel or even less, you still get a better bike! We all win.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rumshcawheely's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    365
    One of the owners of my local cdale retailer went out last week to cdale usa and rode the new Scalpel. The first question I asked was about the head angle (because I rode a Rush once and couldn't stand the head angle). He said it felt the same as the current Scalpel. I asked him about carbon vs alum. and he said they would be all carbon and that he placed and order to get a couple to his shop. I told him to put my name on one. He also said they should be in in like 3-4 weeks. That is probably the biggest lie I've ever heard though. I noticed in some of those photos you all have been posting that they are using the SI crank SL's on some of them. Hey Cannondale, the cat is out of the bag! Go ahead and just post the new bike a parts picks on your website and stop this nonsense!!!!

  11. #11
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,402
    Patience my friend, patience...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    554
    Quote Originally Posted by RideFaster
    The DLR2s will have Fox RLC damping.
    Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I've never rode a bike with Fox RLC...
    On the other hand my Lefty SL rides so smooth it's hard for me to believe they can improve it!!! It feels perfect right now, but what do I know lol

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    29
    I looked at the 2008 catalog a few days ago....

    Prophet MX line is gone

    No Prophet comes with a lefty

    08 Prophet 1 has much cheaper component spec, similar to the 07 Prophet 3Z (w/ the same fork)

    Rush Line looked very similar to 07 line, with component changes stated above

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Karve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,431
    wow no Leftys on the Prophets - I wonder if that is cos they are too expensive or if they don't see them as heavy duty enough for the Prophet any more?

    Does that mean no coil leftys as I assume that the Rushs and the Scalpels will be Air Sprung.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    458
    No MX line? Wow, I thought that was one of the most versitile bikes out there.

  16. #16
    Salt of the Earth
    Reputation: Le Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    117

    Seriously?

    Is this a US catalog or a GB catalog?

    I only ask as it seems that the Lefty never really got used in GB / Europe on the Prophet anyways (except the 1), so it would make sense for it to be eliminated in the GB / Euro lines. In North Amerca? Does not compute...

    Also, I agree with NS-NV's statement on the Prophet MX. I have one (2007 MX2) and it smokes. If anything, I was hoping they would bump it to 160mm of travel to fill the gap between the Perp and the Prophet, not get rid of it. Look at the Cut; almost every single one of them rides one and uses that and the Chase as thier go to fun / jib / slope bikes.

    Shades of the Jekyll migration? Stopgap year while new product brews?

    Interesting...

  17. #17
    not really a noob
    Reputation: hardcore newbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,515
    JUdge is only available as a frame
    a perp will be available for 2200
    chase's will all have short stays, but there is only 2 models and a frameset
    [SIZE=1]I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD[/SIZE]

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    83
    If the MXs are gone, hopefully C'dale replaces it with stg better. If not, that's too bad, especially considering MXs were the most rigid in terms of carving in Prophet line (lack of carving rigidity has been a problem with Prophets).

    Le Freak has a very good idea about increasing the Prophet MX rear wheel travel to 160 mm. This can be done with a 7.875" x 2.25" shock. I've done this (PUSH'ed RP23) and I have to say that with 150 mm travel fork and XC geometry mode (a must with 2.25" stroke shock in a Prophet) it rides very very well.
    Ride hard, meet the Father!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sidhoyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    72

    just back from the shop.

    no MX line and nothing to replace it, looked like a prophet spec'ed similair but no stout rearend.

    perps looked great.. silver, black and white. 2200$ one is spec'ed out ok!

  20. #20
    Light, Strong and Long
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    194
    Hmm, I'm speculating that Cannondales going back to the drawing board for the Prophets Leftys for the year.
    Possibly a mid season release on prophets with leftys?

    From a salesman standpoint though, the rush is aniliating the prophet in sales. So i guess its a logical move, if abit odd.
    Everyones got a little weight weinee in them

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Fooly_CoolyOo
    Hmm, I'm speculating that Cannondales going back to the drawing board for the Prophets Leftys for the year.
    Possibly a mid season release on prophets with leftys?

    From a salesman standpoint though, the rush is aniliating the prophet in sales. So i guess its a logical move, if abit odd.
    The prophet is mostly unchanged for 2008. The Rush replaced the prophet because it's a better bike for most of us. It is balaced and light (I have the 1000 version), has better suspension IMO, and the only two bad things about it are the low BB and the forward lean position (A bit too forward for me, but solved via a seat post and a shorter / higher stem).
    I think that c'dale will be developing a new trail bike for mid 08/ 09 - Prophet sales are really down at the moment... Probably why c'dale put the prophet in the MBA trail bike shootout, to get some more sales out of it. Unfortunately, the result was... not so good.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fueledbymetal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    740
    To those that have seen the '08 catalog:

    Will there be a lower-end model with the Caffeine frame offered? I was hoping to wait until after my last tri of the year (late Septemebr) to buy a bike, but if the '08 Caffeine frame won't be offered in a cheaper package I'd like to start looking for a deal now on the '07's before they sell out.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    269
    How did the Prophet do in the shootout?

  24. #24
    Like catnip for people
    Reputation: ar1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    400

    2008 release dates etc

    I contacted Cdale directly and was told that the 2008 Product line will be available on Cannondale.com in September (Same date for Catalogs from Dealers)

    They also mentioned a "tentative" roll out date of late August, for the Prophet.

    I can't wait...


  25. #25
    I like to ride my bike.
    Reputation: RideFaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,575
    3 Perps, 4 Prophets, No MXs, Badboy w/ Rohloff, a whole lot of Scalpels and Rushes, feminine Scalpel...etc.

    Don't ask me how I know this.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •