mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Another headshok stem question

So I can't find anybody to trade me a 90mm stem for a 100mm stem, so I'm going to continue to look for a decent 90mm to buy. Can anybody point me to any kind of a resource for Headshok stems? The one I have is pretty plain, I think it's the XC3 model. There's a newer one without the silver "badge" on the faceplate. There's also the uber-expensive HOPE model. The ones I have no idea about are the integrated steerer models. Are these any good? Which one is the one to get? I really like the headshok toolkit they used to sell, but if the integrated steerers are worth it, I can probably try one for the same price.

LA CHÈVRE
    There are plenty on ebay... otherwise, ask your dealer or check cannondaleexperts.com or universalcycles.com, they sometimes have Cannondale stems in stock.

Personally, I'd go with the XC3 stem-steerer. The new OPI looks nice and has the ability to be height adjustable (although, rare are the riders who want it higher than slammed against the Lefty's top clamp) but not much lighter and a lot more prone to creaks as well as being more expensive. The XC3 is one piece of alloy so it's stiff and silent, and because it's the old model, it can be found for a lot cheaper (I did the opposite you did a while ago, went from a 100mm +5° to a 110mm -5°, I paid 25$ for a brand new XC3 stem-steerer)... and is compatible with the headshok toolkit if you want. Otherwise, the normal XC3 without the steerer built-in does it's job very well, can probably be found for even cheaper. Hope and a few other brands have made Headshok/Lefty stems but they're usually more expensive while not being any better...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 08-23-2012 at 11:24 AM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thank you thank you thank you...rep inbound.

Ebay's got the one i need for $55, and it's better than spending $40 just to replace the stem I have now...at least the $15 goes towards a theoretical benefit! Plus it's prettier. Hard to spend money on the bike and leave it uglier...

Saw your other post too, thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    Thank you thank you thank you...rep inbound.

Ebay's got the one i need for $55, and it's better than spending $40 just to replace the stem I have now...at least the $15 goes towards a theoretical benefit! Plus it's prettier. Hard to spend money on the bike and leave it uglier...

Saw your other post too, thanks!
    PM Me, I've got an XC3 90mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Good info..