mtbr member

Am I Stupid? Upgrading Parts

I bought a 29er 4 last season, 09 model. I really like the bike, fit is good on an xl frame. It was my first bike and I doubled my budget by the time I bought it. Part of the reason I went with it was I believed it to be a higher end frame, just with lower end components. It is in my understanding almost identical frame to the 29er 1, 2, and 3. They seem to use different bottom bracket configurations.

Now onto the am I stupid part. I'm getting a set of Hope/Flow wheels built and putting a Reba Team with Maxle light for it. Last season I was around 250lbs, I'm now down to around 215lbs, the stock Dart3 was very loose and flexy under my weight, wheels also flexed a lot. Part of my rationale for buying these high end wheels and fork are that I can transfer them to another bike in the future. I know steerer tube length could be an issue in transfering.

I think I'm being smart, but at the same time there is a little nagging part of me that says I'm not. I know the most important thing is if I'm happy with the frame, and I am. What do you guys think? I know I'm mostly rambling.

Andrew

mtbr member
    I don't see anything "stupid" here. You bought a bike with a great frame, and you're upgrading components. That's pretty much what we do here. I've heard people here say the Caffeine 29'er frame is just about the best hardtail frame on the planet.
    Carry on.

Congratulations on dropping 35lb's by the way - I'm jealous!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What you are doing is the opposite of "stupid." You have an excellent frame and you are spending money on the parts that matter most in terms of performance. Not to mention, that lightweight wheel-set will not only be an incredible and immediate performance change but it will last you for years if you take care of it. All in all, good plan!

mtbr member
    Seems pretty logical to me.

mtbr member
    I felt the frame was worth upgrading parts on, thanks for the reassurance. Thanks for the congrats on the weight loss. It's been a lot of work but it's worth it. I've been riding a trainer all winter so I'm quite excited to see how much my riding fitness has been improved. Also it's way cheaper to loose weight off my body than off the bike.

mtbr member
    Great logic if you ask me--couldn't agree more with it.

Here's my 2009 F29 2 with a Stan's NoTubes Flow 29er wheelset and Hope Pro II rear hub...

'13 Pugsley Necromancer
    '13 Bad Boy 5
    '09 F29 2
    '08 Rush SL 5Z (650b)
    '00 F2000SL

mtbr member
    May 2007
    what you are doing is fine.
    the bike worked OK for you before, but was a bit limited by the parts you were running.

Now, if you had this and then started tossing money at Ti bolts and a carbon seatpost to save some weight thinking you will be x much better. Then you are getting a bit silly. Work on the bikes engine and put the money towards a trainer.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Chris King bottom bracket and Shimano XT Crankset will be good when you need it, also Chris King Headset. These parts are all great for upgrades. Keep us informed as to performance. It's a great bike!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A great low-cost / high performance yield upgrade you might consider for your bike is the LX FC-M582 crankset. It will be much lighter than what came on the bike, will shift better, and will be stiffer. It is only $85 at Jenson - I just installed one on a good friends Jekyll and it is a really nice product.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Crankset.aspx

mtbr member
    ALS650L,

Post up some photos of your frame. I love the black and mint green color scheme on the F29 4's. Best looking F29 for 2009 in my opinion...
    '13 Pugsley Necromancer
    '13 Bad Boy 5
    '09 F29 2
    '08 Rush SL 5Z (650b)
    '00 F2000SL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist
    also Chris King Headset.
    Be careful buying a King Headset for this bike because you would need a Devolution headset which is 1.5"-1 1/8". This would be a great upgrade, but any other bike that you might buy in the future might not have the OS 1.5" headtube like Cannondale.

mtbr member
    This is it last summer. Getting my wheels built and waiting on the fork.

I was looking into a SLX or XT crankset. I was under the impression my big ring was bent, might be the whole spider. I'm contemplating going 2X9, but I use this bike on a trainer and only use the big ring for that. Probably just stick with the 3X9.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by valiant1974
    ALS650L,

Post up some photos of your frame. I love the black and mint green color scheme on the F29 4's. Best looking F29 for 2009 in my opinion...
    What you don't like my green 29'er 1?

(edit)
    PS: OP - you seem to have made great choices. Be warned however that upgrading components is a sickness, and addiction.
    My 29'er is 'supposedly' my 2nd bike (though I ride it most now) and I have changed:

- Tires
    - Spokes & Nipples
    - Saddle
    - Peddles
    - Handle Bar
    - Quick Release
    - Grips
    - Front Derailure
    - Chain
    - Front Disc Rotor

I loved it to start, and I still love it, I just can't stop...
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X

(edit)
    PS: OP - you seem to have made great choices. Be warned however that upgrading components is a sickness, and addiction.
    My 29'er is 'supposedly' my 2nd bike (though I ride it most now) and I have changed:

- Tires
    - Spokes & Nipples
    - Saddle
    - Peddles
    - Handle Bar
    - Quick Release
    - Grips
    - Front Derailure
    - Chain
    - Front Disc Rotor

I loved it to start, and I still love it, I just can't stop...
    I still love that bike and the color, I wish I could have got my Rize in that color. I might try to get a closeout later this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X

Actually, the green might be my next favorite after the black. There's just something about the gloss black and mint green of the F29 4 that I really dig.
    '13 Pugsley Necromancer
    '13 Bad Boy 5
    '09 F29 2
    '08 Rush SL 5Z (650b)
    '00 F2000SL

mtbr member
    I like that weird green too. Not sure what it is about it but it looks nice.