mtbr member
    Jul 2016

alloy vs carbon mountain frames

I have been demoing FS mountain bikes, and have rode a few Cannondale. Really liking the feel of the Cannondale suspension. I was wondering durability wise which frame has less prone to frame issues under normal riding conditions. In the past have read and heard from my previous shop about lot of frame cracking on Cannondale, but was wondering if this was more towards alloy or carbon frames? Or is this an issue that has been addressed in recent years?

Seems like there warranty is excellent, so maybe I should not worry so much. Appreciate any input, I am really like the Scalpel SE 2 model I demoed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Cannondale frames are quite solid, imho. I've been on 2 bikes (2010 Scalpel 1 soft-tail, now on a 2016 Habit 3, both are carbon frames), and 2nd hand, if I may add on.
    The habit is somewhat a 2nd hand as it was originally a demo set from my LBS that had been used quite generously such that the rear wheel actually was out of true when I bought it over from them.
    That said, I have a lot of trust in Cannondale since I've never ever gotten a bike from them that's 1st hand, but nothing broke (or has broken yet), so yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk