mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Air Filter Oil for 2012 Lefty XLR, ATTN MendonCycleSmith.

I saw a few posts on Air Filter Oil. I am happy to hear answers from anybody but the question is directed to MendonCycleSmith. In 2006 MendonCycleSmith said to use Finish Line Wet lubricant on the foam air cleaner. In 2011 he mentioned Phil Woods Tenacious oil.

My fork is a new Lefty 2012 XLR (ridden 3x as a demo) that obviously has been sitting around for a year or so. I happen to have some Finish Line Cross Country Oil "wet" sitting around....is it still safe to use this on the foam air cleaner?

On a way different note, which fork do you like more, the 2012 or the 2013 Lefty?
    Last edited by jschoef; 02-25-2013 at 05:19 AM.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Both are safe, sure. The Phil's is just a little tackier, so it may stick around a little longer, catch a little more stuff, whatever....

Haven't ridden a '13 yet, but the dampers are the same so the feel should be very similar. The bootless look is cool, the longer service interval is cool too, but beyond that, they are too new for there to be a lot of info floating around yet.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks,
    I most likely will be sending you the fork for my yearly service, but if I get gutsy, I might want to attempt it myself. What special tools do I need besides the Shimano BB tool? Do I really need to change the seals and oil yearly? I am a fair weather rider these days.
    Thanks,
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by jschoef View Post
    Thanks,
    I most likely will be sending you the fork for my yearly service, but if I get gutsy, I might want to attempt it myself. What special tools do I need besides the Shimano BB tool? Do I really need to change the seals and oil yearly? I am a fair weather rider these days.
    Thanks,
    Josh
    Castle tool, shaft clamps, Bullet tool is about it for special stuff.

You can go two years if you don't put a ton of miles down, but if you open it up, may as well do seals and oil.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What kind of oil do I need?

OE is Golden Spectro 5 wt.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com