mtbr member
    May 2007

New question here. Agressive Prophet lightening campaign - suggestions wanted

Hi all, I was planning to sell the Prophet and get a Rush Carbon but rides over the last weekend have convinced me that I like to Prophet too much to sell... so plan is to take the Cash that I was spending on the carbon rush and lighten the Prophet to make it more endurance racing friendly (100km+ and Solo 8,12,24)

Plans are for:
    • crossmax slr wheelset
    • xtr cranks
    • x-0 twist shifters (already have x0 rear deraileur)
    • SI integrated stem
    • carbon bars & seatpost
    • juicy carbons

Other stuff for consideration is whether to replace the existing lefty with a lefty carbon + Ti and is there any point in a rear shock upgrade?

My riding is all x-c (to chicken to hit anything bigger that about 3ft...). Aim is to get the whole thing down to the 24lb mark or lighter...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzaz
    Aim is to get the whole thing down to the 24lb mark or lighter...

Jeebus, 24lbs? good luck on that one.....Static weight is highly over-rated. Rotational weight is where you'll actually feel it. That said, either the SLR's or a set of I9's would be huge, I'd say I9's as they offer instant engagement, big difference there. The carbon Lefty is a waste of money, just buy a ti spring, that's the bulk of the savings, and you don't have to deal with SPV. Other than that, just do weight loss were it's easy, seatpost, bars, tires (consider a racing slick in the back for faster spin up, and a lighter ride feel). Have fun
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    What's your starting point? Prophet 1000? 600? Some models have components that are not worth upgrading that much while others have heavy parts that beg to be switched... but I have to agree with Mendon, 24 pounds for a Prophet will probably need some ridiculously light/expensive parts that probably don't belong on such a bike.

Starting with my Prophet 2000 (carbon Max, XT/XTR), Mine can be around 26.5 to 28 depending on tire choices. I have Eggbeaters, Crossmax SL but other changes are insignificant weight-wise. like Mendon said, start with the wheels and tires, that makes the most difference in feel when you ride.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the tip on the carbon lefty... that's a good suggestion. Starting point is a Prophet 1000 so FSA crank.. should be possible to find a few pounds somewhere.

Wheels are definitely on the list as is a crank upgrade. Carbon bits help with the bling factor as well

LA CHÈVRE
    1000... I think those bikes came with a heavy SRAM Cassette.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :