mtbr member
    Jul 2007

New question here. Aging Cannondale Jekyll 2000

I find myself fighting with the decission to replace my Jekyll 2000. It is 6 years old now. It has not seen too much action considering its age. Getting married and having kids has almost put a stop to my biking in recent years. I still fight to get out when i can. I am concerned my bike is getting to the age where it will need items such as derailers, shifter, shock overhauls etc. Plus I am told suspension technolgy has advanced on new models to control or elimiate pedal bouce. Any advice for this old and out of the loop Mountain biker. Should i keep the Jekyll or should i upgrade? Lefty overhaul experiences? price?

mtbr member
    I had a jekell 2000. Great bike, put thousands of miles on it. The frame started to crack along the top tube so Cdale warrantied it and gave me the option of a Scalpel or Rush. I was paranoid about the little rear travel of the Scalpel so I chose the Rush. Put the thing together and just didn't like it. It seemed to steer very slow. So I then purchased a Scalpel frame and I'm still riding the Scalpel. Now they are coming out with a longer travel Scalpel, so I'd probably go that route if you're going to buy new. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with riding the jekyll into the ground. The only problem you may run into is that when your rear shock starts to not hold air or lose it's rebound damp. it is not easy to find replacements. Fox may service them but maybe not. As for the lefty you can probably get that thing back to brand new for about $90us

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Don't worry about the age. I have a super v from 96 that I rode hard pretty much every day for a decade. The suspension was still good, the frame shock should get an oil change, but it still works fine. I just gave it to my girlfriend to start riding, and now ride a Gemini frame I built up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, I have considerable experience with Cannondales--I have worked in a Cannondale shop Part time for ~8 years. I have had a F-1000 super-v, Jekyll and now a prophet. The leftys are very reliable as long as they still hold air (if you have air on yours) and the travel remains smooth they are good to go. They can only be over-hauled by Cannondale for ~$75, the only exception that I am aware of is the ELO model...they can't get parts for the ELO part of the fork.

As far as suspension technology there have been significant advances in damping technology since your bike was made but if you are not riding real serious it may not be worth upgrading.

Components--your frame is worth spending some money to replace parts; I wouldn't really worry about that unless you can really afford a new bike.

mtbr member
    I'm riding a 2002 Jekyll 3000, still going strong and I've had no problems at all, The lefty ELO was serviced (very standard on any bike, I think they recommend it once every 6-months if you ride regularly) I had the Fox RL rear shock serviced, but instead of just a normal service around $100 Aussie I had them do a Pro-Pedal Upgrade for $150, It's great with the upgrade, a little less cushy a ride so I do find the lower back gets a bit sorer on long hauls, but the performance increase is well worth it. It climbs much better and has very little pedal bob. I highly recommend the upgrade (FOX do it as well as PUSH in the states, I had to go the FOX variety because PUSH won't do international, strange considering they do mail in, mail out?) Due to the simple suspension design on the Jekyll the shock really makes a huge difference, unlike some multi-linkage bikes.

mtbr member
    im ridding a 03 jekyll, a 99 F900 and a 87 SM800. all with out a flaw. really the only problems with older bikes are the shocks needing to be rebuild after awhile of use.