JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. Aftermarket rearshocks for Jekyll?

I currently ride a 2003 Jekyll 500, which has the "simple" Fox float L rear shock. This one has lockout, but no rebound adjuster. I wonder if it would be possible to upgrade it to another, more sophisticated shock with rebound adjust and perhaps some kind of platform system? Does anyone know if it is possible to buy Jekyll-specific shocks as aftermarket items?
    Last edited by JSQ; 12-20-2005 at 06:18 AM.

Are you talking to me?

I am not sure about new.

However, there are Float RL's and RC available used. YOu can have the Float you have PUSHed, perhaps? www.pushindustries.com

Manitou made a swinger 3 way for the Jekyll, but they are rare.

Your best bet is PUSHing your current shock, or getting an RL, and having it PUSHed.
    $150 for the factory race setup, valving the shock for you, your style, and your bike. They do perform this service on the FLOAT.

I am foggy at the moment. Does your bike have 4.5" in the rear, or 5.3"? The reason that I ask is you need to get a shock with the correct stroke. The older Jekylls used a 1.25" stroke, and the newer models use a 1.5" stroke, if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by damion; 12-20-2005 at 06:18 AM.
    gfy

mtbr member

Jekyll shocks

Quote Originally Posted by damion
    I am foggy at the moment. Does your bike have 4.5" in the rear, or 5.3"? The reason that I ask is you need to get a shock with the correct stroke. The older Jekylls used a 1.25" stroke, and the newer models use a 1.5" stroke, if I remember correctly.
    2000-02: 1.5" stroke = 4.5" travel
    2003-05: 1.75" stroke = 5.3" travel

Besides Push Industries, there is Mojo in the UK. They can add propedal damping:
    http://www.mojo.co.uk/foxservicing.html

JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Do you know if Push or Mojo also are able to install rebound adjustment? You see, that's what I'm mostly in need of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSQ
    Do you know if Push or Mojo also are able to install rebound adjustment? You see, that's what I'm mostly in need of.
    I don't think so but I'm not sure. Give them a call and ask.

As far as what you need, once you try platform damping you'll never want to go back.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rw420
    I don't think so but I'm not sure. Give them a call and ask.

As far as what you need, once you try platform damping you'll never want to go back.
    As far as damping, once set correctly, you don't need to play with it. Sounds like maybe you are a bigger rider, and the range on the existing shock is inappropriate for the pressure you run? If that's the case, if/when you send it in, make sure they know you want damping appropriate for the pressure you run, they'll get it right, and you won't have to buy a new shock.

Are you talking to me?

TF also if UK based.

Quote Originally Posted by rw420
    2000-02: 1.5" stroke = 4.5" travel
    2003-05: 1.75" stroke = 5.3" travel

Besides Push Industries, there is Mojo in the UK. They can add propedal damping:
    http://www.mojo.co.uk/foxservicing.html

TF is also doing the PUSH mod, if in the UK. www.tftunedshox.com

THanks for the stroke clarification. I was fuzzy minded last night.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Have you asked Fox if they still sell the shock that was spec'd on higher up models? I have an '03 Jekyll 2000 with the Fox RL. They're great together, and I have an '00 Hedshok on it.

Quote Originally Posted by pedaler845
    Have you asked Fox if they still sell the shock that was spec'd on higher up models? I have an '03 Jekyll 2000 with the Fox RL. They're great together, and I have an '00 Hedshok on it.
    Worth a try, but I don't believe they still produce it=

JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My problem is quite the opposite. I'm a very light rider, and the rebound is too slow for me. The lock-out seems pretty useless to me. Cause the bike seems to bounce more, when in lock-out mode.

Thanks for all replies!

Are you talking to me?

PUSH is for you, then.

My problem is quite the opposite. I'm a very light rider, and the rebound is too slow for me. The lock-out seems pretty useless to me. Cause the bike seems to bounce more, when in lock-out mode.

Thanks for all replies!

If you are a light rider, PUSH will valve the shock for you. Have the race upgrade done. you will not regret it.
    gfy

Thanks for all replies!
    It's a mot point, that it should be Pushed, but as to you saying it bobs under you when locked out, this is indicative of a non circular pedal stroke, work on smoothing out your spin, and that bob will go away, try it some time, if you think about it while your doing it, you will really see the difference a smooth pedal stroke makes! Good luck with it!

JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    For the record, I'm not new to the sport, I've been riding mountainbikes since 1991, full sussers and hardtails. My pedal stroke is circular. I don't experience the same problem with my Fuel ex 9, when it is in lock-out mode. I'd say it has to do something with the shock. It shouldn't be the wheels either, since they seem true.

For the record, I'm not new to the sport, I've been riding mountainbikes since 1991, full sussers and hardtails. My pedal stroke is circular. I don't experience the same problem with my Fuel ex 9, when it is in lock-out mode. I'd say it has to do something with the shock. It shouldn't be the wheels either, since they seem true.
    So, we know you can ride,= that's good for cancelling out some thoughts to be sure! Have you ridden other single pivot bikes? The Fuel is possibly the least plush bike out there, even when not locked. That's not a knock on it, that's by design. The bike is built for racers who ride like crazy, and hate bob.It's worth noting that the design predates platform technology shocks though. That said, the Jekyll is a very bobby bike, the Manitou was tossed on there in the final generation to help with the issue, but it only helped moderately. PUSHing it will allow it to be revalved for the leverage ratio, which is really important, if you want your platform to perform correctly. It's not that there's anything wrong with the bike, or the shock, just what you are expecting out of it, in it's current state. Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    I take offense to the Jekyll's being "bobby" Mendon! I prefer "plush" "sticks to the ground like glue" and even "efficient" except maybe in granny ~ do you ride there?

mtbr member
    Again, thats with the '03 Fox float rl pro-pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by pedaler845
    I take offense to the Jekyll's being "bobby" Mendon! I prefer "plush" "sticks to the ground like glue" and even "efficient" except maybe in granny ~ do you ride there?
    I've had Jekylls since they were just coming out, and for the life of me, I don't know how I could have gotten anywhere without one! They are a great bike to be sure. I had one of those Propedal shocks, and I couldn't notice any difference at all. I sorta got it with the SPV's, but still, a smooth stroke is truely your best friend on those rigs. I was all about them for years! Someday people will realize the "plush, sticks like glue" benefits of single pivot bikes, but they need to get over the Ellsworth, FSR obsession before companies will start to make the next generation of SP rigs, built with the acknowledgment that SPV shock make them kick a$$. I love my granny ring, especially on my hardtail 29er= Great beer by the way! ride hard.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I know this is an old thread, but I just learned of the company recently and I thought you guys would like to know. They have multiple options for Jekylls....have yet to try one as I am trying to get a manitou, but if not I will get their version of it. They are quite pricey however but this could be a great upgrade for someone who wants to get a lil bit more love out of their Jekyll.

http://www.x-fusion-shox.com/

mtbr member
    I just looked at their website .
    Strange how they offer a Jekyll shock but don't announce or bring any attention to it .
    You would think they would have " New for Jekyll owners .... " or something simular .
    Instead it's just there in pictures , not naming/listing it's application .
    I guess it's just up to the "new shock hungry" Jekyll owner to reconise it

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I ran into the company searching for a new shock. There was plug in a magazine about them touting a great new shock for Jekyll owners.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Somebody go and buy one and tell me what they think. Until then I will stick with my 3-way. My old Jekyll (2003) had a Fox Float RL that was pushed and it worked great as well. I think I am growing to like the Manitou on my 04 a little better though.

Cheers
    '04 Cannondale Jekyll 3000

Members who have read this thread: 0