mtbr member

Advice on selling my Team Scalpel on eBay

I am going to list my 2010 Team Scalpel on eBay in the next few days and I have never sold a bike there before. It is mostly stock other than a few upgrades, size small and in excellent condition. I know some of you are familiar with selling your bikes there and I am looking for some advice such as:

Best day and time to list
    Complete or sell parts (would rather sell in one shot)
    Description
    Cost to ship a complete bike UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc.
    Should I offer to ship internationally, safe?
    Paypal or check
    Upon sale, when to ship (payment recieved, etc.)
    What else I should consider before I list?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    part it out you'll get more money for it that way than selling it whole the frame, lefty, wheels and hollowgram cranks are the money makers the brake will get some good $ but everthing else will sell for maybe 1/4 of what it costs retail unless the cassette is in good shape you can chunk it along with of course the chain if the tires a decent i'd leave em' on the wheels as a bounus.

end the listing on a sunday evening run it for only 5 days have no reserve price and start the auction out with a starting bid with the LEAST ammount you can live with but be reasonable lots of morons on ebay think that the bike they paid $3500 for eighteen months ago is now worth $2995 just remember the day your bike walks outta the shop new it's already worth 1/2 of what you just wrote the check for.

ship the big stuff fed ex (wheels, frame, lefty) the rest USPS

shipping international is a giant pain in the rear i ship only to U.S. or Canada unless...the international shipper is offering you a fantastic deal and will pay the extra shipping i've sent stuff to greece for a desperate buyer

pay pal ONLY no checks EVER! let me repeat pay pal only!!!

get ready for a 1001 dumb questions "why are you selling your bike?" , "are the rims straight?", "approx how many miles on and off road do you have on the bike"? , "will you end the auction early"? , "what is your buy it now price"? "do you have in any other size"? , "i just need one wheel would you consider selling the front?" " i see you take pay pal only would you take a personal check from my mom?" etc..etc..etc...

mtbr member
    I'd say keep it unless you don't mind loosing your shirt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My suggestion would be to try Craigslist first as a whole bike, that way you do not have to deal with packing it up and some idiot asking you all of the questions listed above. It is also easier, local, and free. I am only saying that I personally have had better experiences with Craigslist when buying or selling bicycles. Also you will avoid all of the Ebay seller fees and Paypal fees. If you still decide to go the Ebay route you will definitely be better off parting it out, and accept ONLY Paypal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i'd be interested but I'm in Australia (yes I know, a long way away), please pm if you're interested.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    part it out you'll get more money for it that way than selling it whole the frame, lefty, wheels and hollowgram cranks are the money makers the brake will get some good $ but everthing else will sell for maybe 1/4 of what it costs retail unless the cassette is in good shape you can chunk it along with of course the chain if the tires a decent i'd leave em' on the wheels as a bounus.

end the listing on a sunday evening run it for only 5 days have no reserve price and start the auction out with a starting bid with the LEAST ammount you can live with but be reasonable lots of morons on ebay think that the bike they paid $3500 for eighteen months ago is now worth $2995 just remember the day your bike walks outta the shop new it's already worth 1/2 of what you just wrote the check for.

ship the big stuff fed ex (wheels, frame, lefty) the rest USPS

shipping international is a giant pain in the rear i ship only to U.S. or Canada unless...the international shipper is offering you a fantastic deal and will pay the extra shipping i've sent stuff to greece for a desperate buyer

pay pal ONLY no checks EVER! let me repeat pay pal only!!!

get ready for a 1001 dumb questions "why are you selling your bike?" , "are the rims straight?", "approx how many miles on and off road do you have on the bike"? , "will you end the auction early"? , "what is your buy it now price"? "do you have in any other size"? , "i just need one wheel would you consider selling the front?" " i see you take pay pal only would you take a personal check from my mom?" etc..etc..etc...

Hal, thanks for all you insight and I appreciate the time you took to share your advice. I donít want to part it out at this point because of the hassle for someone like me who is not all that experienced with ebay. Part of the value of the 2010 is the price point for a fully XX rig compared to the cost for the Ultimate Scalpel which looks to be their only XX equipped race machine. Iíve posted in a few local sites and already have several interested so I will first see how it goes before my next stop with ebay.