mtbr member
    May 2007

Advice please, Lyriks on a Prophet, geometry help

Hi,

I've bought some Lyriks for my (std) Prophet as the advertised axle to crown is 545mm and as the max recommended for the frame was 530mm i thought i'd be ok if i wound them down a tad. Anyway i realised i also needed a headset with a taller bottom race to give me clearance and i also read on Cannondale's site that their a to c height also includes the headset race, so in the end the axle to bottom of headtube measurement is 560mm.

Now this doesn't affect the handling adversely and i really love the fork, i do wind them down for climbs though and i even like the slacker headangle, my only concern is will there be any extra stress on the frame that will end in tears? Also i used to always run the rear shock in the slacker FR postion but i've swapped it to the XC mode thinking this will counteract the extra slackness at the front and help even things out a bit??

Am i pushing my luck, has anyone else had a similar experience??

ta

Simon

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'd say you are alright; I do the same with a FOX 36. I don't care to jinks our fortune; my setup works flawlessly, now that I understand the different settings. I was looking for more adjust ability and a stiffer front end. The FOX 36 came through with a 20mm thru-axle and a 1.5 steerer tube...way stiff! I find that in FR mode, I can only make use of the 100mm and 160mm setting on the fork; the 130mm seems useless. I use the 100mm for dual-slalom and the 160mm for downhill. Now, in XC mode, this bike rocks at 130mm; it is one of the most balanced trail bikes I have ever ridden. Should I really struggle on a climb, I have the 100mm setting, which is useless for anything other than designated climbing.

I think you will be alright, just be smart. Enjoy your Big Prophet!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yeh, i've given it a couple of good runs and i really like it, i've kept it in the xc mode largely to limit any extra stress on the headtube but also to keep the bb a bit higher, as well as give me a bit more help on the climbs. I run the forks at 145mm for most of the time which is great and i do put them up to 160 for big runs.

Happy riding