one man team
    Dec 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Advice ASAP (pictures included)

Found this deal. Really good price?, asking $300 How much is this bike worth..new, the way it sits in the pictures?, and how what are my possibilities of upgrades as far as new fork..something with decent shocks, disc brakes and handle bars, I want to use it for trail riding, with not to much abuse, I will probably attempt jumps here and there, maybe small drops. etc. 5'11 is this bike a good size for me? Any other useful info thanks.

Let me know I am really tempted to pick up this bike.

Here is the description I got in the email with the bike

it is a men’s Cannondale F1000 Fatty Mountain Bike

Disc-specific Caad4Design

The tires are 26X2.10…………may need new tubes, it has been sitting, not being used. Has always been indoors.

mtbr member
    As far as sizing goes, thats something only you can decide. It's best if you can ride it before you buy it. As for as price goes it shouldn't really matter what the original purchase price was. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Do the all the components on it work correctly? Sounds like you are pretty exited so the dollar amount is probably good! You can probably find the geometry on the cannondale website (at least you used to be able to look up past years).

one man team
    Dec 2007
    I am kinda excited but at the same time this is my first bike, and know little about it. What about upgrades any idea if I could get the disc brakes and better for etc. for it?

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    I think the price is merely Ok. The reason I say this is you can snap a much better more recent hardtail (HT) on ebay if your patient- for only 2-$300 more. I know that sounds like alot, but first this : you need to buy disc brakes. If you buy nice cable actuated BB7's from Avid your probably going to pay $150 . The frame is disc ready but the wheels aren't, so figure another $100 for something like mvc117's on ebay... The newer forks offer more travel, I *think* that one is less than 80mm..
    Also at 5-11 I think you need a large, is that bike a medium?

Scan craigslist where you live, watch ebay,

Dont forget its perfectly rideable the way it sits, IF it fits you. If you can get it for less and it fits, consider it your learning bike and just leave it the way it is. If you ride it a while and dont destroy it you might sell it for near what you paid and buy something a whole lot better later on.
    Someone else please pipe up and let me know what you think.

CDT

LA CHÈVRE
    That's a 1999 F1000 and it looks like it has all the original parts except the saddle and pedals I think. Looks almost unused. I think the price is not bad at all. I have a bike exactly like this, only mine was an earlier release so was speced with Grip Shifts and 9 speed road cassette since Shimano had not released the 9 speed groups in time... Now mine has seen many modifications but I used it stock for a while.

Like Tony said though, I would first make sure the size is okay. By looking at it, I'd say it's a Large but a 99 Large is about the size of more recent Mediums. Mine was a Large too and I'm 5'10" so it could be okay for you, try it first if you can, make sure you are not too cramped on it. Also as Tony said, I would ride it as it is or look somewhere else. Adding discs and disc wheels or switching the fork will cost a lot more. But this bike is certainly a great bike as is, especially if it is your first bike. A XT-XTR build and a weight around 24 pounds is definitly not entry level territory. The Fork is a Fatty SL, it has 60 or 70mm of travel. This is a great bike to learn and even a good one for more experienced riders, it's a stiff ride with the short travel fork and very rigid rear triangle but it just flies on smooth trails.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

one man team
    Dec 2007
    so I would have to buy new wheels.?..thats fine I dont plan on upgradeing everythign at onces. I wanna with time.

one man team
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    That's a 1999 F1000 and it looks like it has all the original parts except the saddle and pedals I think. Looks almost unused. I think the price is not bad at all. I have a bike exactly like this, only mine was an earlier release so was speced with Grip Shifts and 9 speed road cassette since Shimano had not released the 9 speed groups in time... Now mine has seen many modifications but I used it stock for a while.

Like Tony said though, I would first make sure the size is okay. By looking at it, I'd say it's a Large but a 99 Large is about the size of more recent Mediums. Mine was a Large too and I'm 5'10" so it could be okay for you, try it first if you can, make sure you are not too cramped on it. Also as Tony said, I would ride it as it is or look somewhere else. Adding discs and disc wheels or switching the fork will cost a lot more. But this bike is certainly a great bike as is, especially if it is your first bike. A XT-XTR build and a weight around 24 pounds is definitly not entry level territory. The Fork is a Fatty SL, it has 60 or 70mm of travel. This is a great bike to learn and even a good one for more experienced riders, it's a stiff ride with the short travel fork and very rigid rear triangle but it just flies on smooth trails.

Is it worth buying to upgrade? .. or should I save up some more money and go buy a bike thats already disc braked .. and a little better?

one man team
    Dec 2007
    The buy is about 2hrs away from me, and the lady is being really ignorant about meeting up .. wants me to drive up there and is telling me to hurry up, its gonna be gone .. she has other buyers. I think Im gonna pass..

She has these buyers, yet the listing was early decemeber.

mtbr member
    let this one go! If you are even remotely thinking of upgrading now, as soon as you get it and start down that road it's a slippery slope! before you know it you'll have spent a fortune and will want to upgrade to a disc only frame with more travel or even a dual suspension bike, after all that you will have been far better off getting something better and not a whole lot more expensive.
    As Dan mentioned, I think if you are looking at old bikes like that (nothing wrong with that at all!) i would strongly suggest just keeping them as original as you can and just ride the hell out of it, then you can work out exactly what you want and save the cash for something awesome! Good luck and at least you're on the money with Cannondale!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If I were you I'd go visit with cash in your pocket wearing clothes comparable to what you plan on riding in, ask to take it out for 10 minutes or so, just to make sure its comfortable. As long as it is, buy it and ride it as is (obviously take care of any maintenance items like bad tubes, dry rotted tires, lube job...) The F1000 was a well spec'd bike and the V-brakes that are on there will definitely do the job as long as the pads are good, no need to go dropping money on discs right out of the gate. I was riding XTR V-brakes I bought in 98 up until earlier this year, and honestly I think V-brakes are more forgiving to learn on for new riders.

That being said, if after your 10 minute ride you feel it's uncomfortable, just walk away and find another deal, comfort in the saddle is critical to really enjoy yourself.

As far as upgrading, like others have said, once you decide to upgrade an older bike your lookin at having to buy a bunch of stuff at once. If you want discs, you have to get the brakesets and wheels at the same time, or at least hubs and re-lace the old wheels... drivetrain upgrades can go the same way... good luck