mtbr member
    Jun 2011

'99 F3000 upgrades?

Hi all,
    I recently bought a, like new, '99 F3000. It is my first mountain bike and I really like it. I have decided to start upgrading some components and would like some advice. Right now the only things that have been changed are the pedals(really cheap plastic platforms) and it has been converted to a 2x9(44, 29).
    I would like to now what my weak links are and what my replacement options may be. I have read that Cannondale uses proprietary sizes on some parts, so I am nervous about ordering new bars, headset, etc. I want to upgrade the bars, grips, seat, seatpost, crank arms and pedals first. Any suggestions?
    Also, how do my 12 year old XTR shifters and deraileurs stack up to todays XT stuff?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well there's a learning curve involved but I'd get yourself a great/light pair of clipless pedals. I like my Crank Brothers eggbeaters but SPDs work great as well. The great thing about pedal upgrades is that you can always move them on to your next bike when and if you make a switch.
    By the same token, a saddle that you love can make the new bike migration as well. The Fizik Gobi saddle is the most comfy saddle I've ever had.
    If you change/upgrade your crank system realize that the new standard is a 4 bolt system and back in '99 it was a 5 bolt system.
    Not sure about your 12 year old XTR stuff but I am still using the original rear XTR derailleur on a '01 F1000 and it works great.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of mountain biking!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
    Well there's a learning curve involved but I'd get yourself a great/light pair of clipless pedals. I like my Crank Brothers eggbeaters but SPDs work great as well. The great thing about pedal upgrades is that you can always move them on to your next bike when and if you make a switch.
    By the same token, a saddle that you love can make the new bike migration as well. The Fizik Gobi saddle is the most comfy saddle I've ever had.
    If you change/upgrade your crank system realize that the new standard is a 4 bolt system and back in '99 it was a 5 bolt system.
    Not sure about your 12 year old XTR stuff but I am still using the original rear XTR derailleur on a '01 F1000 and it works great.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of mountain biking!

Thanks, what do you think about the pedals that can be used as clipless or platforms?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I use Crank Bros Candy 4ti. I had the Crank Bros eggbeaters before that and I barely notice the tiny platform of the candies. Once you get used to clipless, when you are clipped in, you are in. It becomes second nature after awhile.
    Hope that helps.