mtbr member
    Aug 2007

98' SuperV trying Problem Solvers Reducers w/ Cane Creek standard headset, HELP!

Hey out there,

I picked up a 98' SuperV 1000 on craigslist at the beginning of the summer, with a blown headshok. Im just getting around to putting a new 1 1/8 fork on it, bought some problem solvers reducer cups (really like the Cane Creek reducer headset but Im on a budget). Anyway, for the life of me, I can't see how the standard headset is supposed to press into these reducer cups, its so tight I wonder if my cups are defective, or I need to get a different headset? I probably sound like an idot, but forgive me as I'm very new to this deal.....anyone who has used the problem solvers reducer cups have some insight on my situation? Should i just wack it really hard with some oil and a sledgehammer and hope for the best ? I don't want to destroy this headset I paid $40 for. I've attached a couple pics to show you what the setup is looking like.

Thanks Y'all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ridin' dirty!
    Either install them into the frame and use a headset press, or like you mentioned put some oil or grease on 'em and put them in a vice. Whacking it is a bad idea, since they might not go down straight and you'll end up bending something.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Agreed 100%. If you're trying to do it out of the frame, you'll go crazy. You also make no mention of a headset press, if you think they press in by hand, think again. If you know this, and are using a press, speak up, because there is little chance it's the hardwares fault, from where we're standing
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! two possible solutions....

1. Take the frame, headset, and reducers to your local bike shop (LBS) and pay them ~$20 labor to install them correctly. If the wrench there is any good, he'll spend a little time "dressing" the head tube and making sure everything is lined up correctly, plus he'll use the correct tool. First thing he'll do is knock the old 1.5" caps out of the headtube, then he'll press the adapters into the head tube, then press the bearings into the adapters.

The second option is to go to Lowe's and buy a 9" long 5/8" diameter galvanized bolt threaded the entire length. Get two 5/8" hex nuts, plus four of the largest diameter 5/8" washers. These items are in the bins on the aisle marked "hardware". Also look in the metal drawers labeled "rubber washers" and get two thick rubber washers the same diameter as the large washers. Thread one of the hex nuts onto the bolt, then two of the washers, then one of the rubber washers. Align the lower Problem Solver" adapter with the bottom of the headtube, slip the bolt up through the headtube from below until the rubber washer contacts the adapter (the rubber washer will keep it from being scratched), then slip the upper adapter over the end of the bolt from above. Next place a rubber washer, then the two large washers, then thread the last hex nut on the bolt. Tighten the nuts finger-tight until you can align everything up correctly. Use two open-end wrenches and tighten the nuts 1/4-turn at a time and slowly press the adapters into the head tube. Next, press the bearings into the adapters.

I don't think I left out any steps. If you have never done anything like that before, you can ruin the headtube or the bearings if you get something cock-eyed. You're probably better off investing in the experience your LBS wrench has. Maybe he'll even let you watch. I like to watch....sorry, getting off subject.

By the way, do you realize that you will need a new stem too, because the old steerer tube was 1.5" diameter and the new fork will be 1 1/8". Don't forget to match the new stem handlebar clamp to the old handlebar diameter or you'll need to buy handlebars too.

Good luck! I'm in the process of Uber-ing my Super v and the deeper I get into this project, the more respect I have for the experience the mechanic has at the local shop.