mtbr member

New question here. 7.875 x 2.25 on Prophet 600?

I have a spare 7.875 x 2.25 Vanilla coil from my Gemini.

Will I be able to use this on my 7.875 x 2.0 Prophet 600? If so, what will it do to the travel (increase, decrease...)

I planned on doing this months ago...but never got around to it.

Two additional questions:

1. Do I use the bushings and hardware from the Fox Vanilla? or do I use the Manitou Radium bushings?

2. Or...do I need to contact Fox or C-dale to get new hardware?

Thanks again.

LA CHÈVRE
    I'm not sure about the bushing thing, you probably need to use the Fox hardware but check if you have the right size for the Prophet, I'd be surprised if the Manitou bushings fit the Fox. You'd need to contact Fox if they don't but with the specs of the Prophet in hand, they are in this document.

Also, you'll probably need to keep the bike in the FR setting, the longer shock and the already small space between the seat tube and the swingarm will almost guaranty you'll have problems in the XC setting.

EDIT: read too fast, if they are the same eye-to-eye length, you wont have the issue between seat tube and swingarm but you'll get a bit more travel, make sure the rear wheel doesn't hit the back of the seat tube on full travel. There was a thread about that a few weeks ago so take a look, somebody tried it.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 11-01-2005 at 12:28 PM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Even though your idea is great, it won't work in the FR mode. The rear tire touches the swingarm, unless you use a 24" rear wheel, which has no use in this application. I don't know about the XC mode, you have to check it or perhaps direktor can tell us a little bit more because he has had a 7.875 x 2.25" DHX Air.

Keep in mind that you might lose the lifetime warranty of the frame with a longer stroke shock but if that's okay why not.

When I changed my Swinger to DHX Air I needed new bushings. It's very likely you should need them too.
    Ride hard, meet the Father!

Members who have read this thread: 0