Thread: 650b Prophet

mtbr member

650b Prophet

I just finished putting 650b wheels on my prophet. I read a post somewhere that a guy was saying you needed a spacer in the lefty to keep the front tire from bottoming out on the fork crown. Have those of you that have done this conversion run into that problem?

Just a flesh wound
    Over 2,500 miles on my converted Prophet. No mod necessary. I did about 1,500 with a TPC Lefty Max 140 and then had it converted by Mendon to the PBR Air spring. Never an issue. I do have a rear shock with 57 mm of stroke, so I can't run FR. I am going to switch back to the 50mm of stroke and see if I can. Writing this I just realized that the rear shock on my Prophet is not stock. I have Pacenti Neo Moto's 2.3 front and back.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    I believe we talked in the past. I ordered the Neo Moto's but they haven't arrived yet. I bought a set of Maxxis High Rollers from a friend over the weekend because I was in a hurry to put the wheels together. I haven't been on the trail yet but my bike is in FR and I didn't bottom out bunny hoping around my driveway. My frame is an XL so I don't know if the rear swingarm is longer or anything like that. We'll see what happens on the trail. I just got worried when I read the guy talking about the fork bottoming out and going over the bars. I'm about 260 and like having my front teeth so I figured I'd ask. LOL

Just a flesh wound
    You can check the possibility of hitting by letting the air out of the shock and compressing it to full extension. If it doesn't hit, then you are all set. If it does hit, but not bad, then I would say you would be OK if you keep the pressure where it needs to be. It won't throw you OTB, but it could compromise the structural integrity of the seat post with too many rubs.

Let me know what you find. If you can run it in FR with 200 x 50mm shock, let me know, I'll replace my 200 x 56mm for that option.

I went with the longer travel shock when the bike was still a 26'er. More travel, mmmm.

mtbr member
    I have a 50mm shock and I would get tire rub in FR with my 26" Nevegals on. So we'll see on the rear wheel. As far as the shock bottoming out and stopping me, I was more concerned about the lefty touching the top of the fork crown.

Just a flesh wound
    You shouldn't be getting tire rub. Do you have the right shock Eye to Eye? What are the Nevy's, 2.35? I had that set up with no issues, pre 650b.

mtbr member
    I ordered Fox Float CTD boos valve w/Trail Adjust 7.875" Eye to Eye w/ 2 inch stroke (200mm x 50mm). Yeah, they were 2.35 on Stans Flow hoops. I can say I never measured it on my own. I just took it home and put it on the bike. I powder coated my bike white and noticed a little bit of black smudge on the seat tube the other day.

Just a flesh wound
    It's probably something that came off the tire, but not the tire itself. If you release the air from the rear shock and compress it fully, you will see if you get a seat tube strike. Is your Lefty Max 140 a PBR with Air or a Coil Spring?

mtbr member
    Lefty Max 140 a PBR with Air. I think the lefty is fine. The wheel strikes the frame in FR mode. I checked the fork and I think it's fine. So I'm not worried about it anymore.