Thread: 6" vs 8" rotors

mtbr member
    May 2004

6" vs 8" rotors

I recently bought a Jekyll with lefty front shock. It is a 2000 Jekyll 700 SX. I have upgraded the wheels to Mavic 819 UST, DT Comp Spokes and woodman hub (front) hope bulb hub (rear). I ride mostly XC, but would like to get into a little freeriding. I have never ridden disc brakes before, but I am thinking of upgrading the front and back brakes to 8" rotors based on my reading in magazines. I am currently looking at the Hayes HFX 9 HD brake sets. Will 8" rotors fit on my bike (frame and fork)? Does anyone know if the lefty shock and the lefty hub will support the increase in brake power? I am sure the wheels are fine, but I don't know about the axel. I read a warning about standard QR axels on the Jenson website with 8" rotors. Does anyone even think I need to go with 8" rotors? I am certainly no downhill racer, but I weigh about 205-210 lbs. Thanks for the info. Scott

mtbr member
    I believe the only place you might have a problem with 8" rotor is at the bottom of your fork boot. I think it was just recently that Cannondale started using a boot that tapers down at the bottom. See how close an 8" rotor would come to the boot. Maybe a zip tie could be used to hold the boot away from it.

Are you talking to me?

No 8" rotors on that fork.

Only the 2003 and newer Lefty Max's and Jake's are ready for an 8" rotor. The Lefty that you have is not one of those models. It might work, but is specifically warned against in the literature. Why risk it? Run 6" rotors with hayes mags, not the HFX-9's. The mag lever bodies are stiffer. 8"rotor on the rear is overkill.
    gfy