Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    37

    44t chainring on Cannondale Flash Himod

    Hi..

    Anybody out there that have had a Cannondale SI (SI) 44-29 set up on their Cannondale Flash Carbon. I have my set up with the SI SL crank with XX 42-28. But I have the 44-29 rings and spider originally coming wih the SI SL crank laying around, and feel that i need the 44t ring in some of the races I participate in. But before I buy the tools needed to make the change, I wanted to air it here to see if it is any experience about the subject.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XgreygOOse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    359
    You may have problem because of the direct mount front derailleur.
    I have the same setup and I haven't found a FD direct mount to fit a 44t chainring. I was told that a Shimano E-type FD may work but I give up and just stuck with the XX 42-26t setup.

    So I guess you need to find the right FD to make 44t work.
    Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by XgreygOOse
    You may have problem because of the direct mount front derailleur.
    I have the same setup and I haven't found a FD direct mount to fit a 44t chainring. I was told that a Shimano E-type FD may work but I give up and just stuck with the XX 42-26t setup.

    So I guess you need to find the right FD to make 44t work.
    Yeah, knew about the FD problem, figure i just remove the material in the FD needed to make it work. But my main concern is the space between the 44t chainring and the driveside chainstay. Should point out that this is a 2x10 setup, that puts the big ring in the middle position compared to a triple setup.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    389
    i had a 44t x 29t on my 2011 flash for a very short time with xt front mech. as the bb of the 2011 flash is 73mm the spider sat well out of the way of the chainstay. it was the flat (scalpel 68mm) five arm spider, the off set spider (taurine 73mm) i guess would have been a perfect fit.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rumshcawheely's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake
    i had a 44t x 29t on my 2011 flash for a very short time with xt front mech. as the bb of the 2011 flash is 73mm the spider sat well out of the way of the chainstay. it was the flat (scalpel 68mm) five arm spider, the off set spider (taurine 73mm) i guess would have been a perfect fit.

    The concern I would have is that with the stock set up (42 teeth) the chain ring is very tight to the chainstay. To get the ring further away (via spider or shim) the derailleur may not reach far enough to get the chain from the little ring onto the big ring. You my want to start doing some high cadence work...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XgreygOOse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake
    i had a 44t x 29t on my 2011 flash for a very short time with xt front mech. as the bb of the 2011 flash is 73mm the spider sat well out of the way of the chainstay. it was the flat (scalpel 68mm) five arm spider, the off set spider (taurine 73mm) i guess would have been a perfect fit.
    What model number/type was XT front mech that you where using? Was the shifting ok/smooth?

    Cheers
    Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by XgreygOOse
    What model number/type was XT front mech that you where using? Was the shifting ok/smooth?

    Cheers

    i know i might sound a bit of a philistine, but i haven't got a clue what model XT it was! i don't do shimano!?!

    this flash has 2x9 with XTR front mech...

    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...-team-10-35697

    sorry i cannot be more help!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •