LDB
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

40% off Cannondale

My LBS has a couple of NOS bikes that are leftovers. One is a Scalpel 5 and one is a Rize 4. I believe both are 2009 models. Both are listed as originally $2499 now $1499. I like the paint on the Rize better but otherwise have no opinion on either.

I guess the biggest question is, is this a good deal as it seems?

Which one would you choose and why?

Anything in particular one should know about either bike?

Thanks for any and all input.

LDB
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Over 100 views and nobody has anything to say about either of these bikes???

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well these are completely different bikes so it depends on what kind of riding you do. The Scalpel is geared more towards racing while the Rize is kind of a do-it-all bike. I owned the Rize and really liked it for its all-around ability and neutral handling. I broke the frame on mine and ended up with an RZ120 which is just not as good as the original Rize.

I also think the price is a tad high...I would offer 1200.

LDB
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I don't want a racer so the Rize would be the one. I might make an offer on it and see what happens.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a Rize 2009, but it's all different than a stock one.

The bad thing (to me) is that the Rize4 does not have a Lefty IIRC. Still a respectable deal though.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Have they had them since 2009? When were they assembled? I didn't cross-reference specs, but I would guess the specs have been improved since 2009. ie... 2009 XT, X9, etc. have been updated (just picked those a random). The 2013 Lefty is definitely nicer. Nice thing about buying a Cdale is their frame exchange program & they even have a Lefty exchange program. I agree with Brodino, I'd offer $1200. Either nobody has wanted it since then, or they got it at a crazy discount themselves. Doesn't hurt to ask. I'd go Scalpel imo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Had a little time to check them. First of all suggested MSRP was $2299, unless you are in a major metro area or Alaska, they jacked it up most likely to the highest they can charge, not what Cdale suggests. I'd guess this is pretty standard practice at most LBS's though when they have sales. They both have nice forks for the era, but not Lefty, which makes servicing them actually more difficult imo, as RS empties their older parts making it harder to find what you need. I believe all Fox's need to be sent in to Fox. Cdale will stand by their Lefty or headshock & has exchange programs on parts & complete. All-in-all I'd say paying 50% of $2299 is what I'd pay for it. Offer $1150 & go from there.