mtbr member

2x9 - what do i need to do??

crossposting from the drive traing sections...

on my scalpel i currently have a 3x9 setup with XT shifters, XT front and rear dees, XTR cranks and XTR cassette. i want to try a 2x9 setup. i have looked through the forums and cant find anything that explains everything to me - just little tidbits... can anyone who has done it shed some light on what i need to do?

i would like to keep as much of my current gear as possible - not sure if thats feasible. i dont want to just add a bash guard but rather have a decent XC race setup.

btw - this is also for a bit of weight weeny-ism...

thanks.

mtbr member

Smile 2x9

all you need is 2x9 cranks with axle and hardware, ft der adjustment and thats it. just so happens i have cranks for sale.
    jb

mtbr member
    Why would somebody do this? I am missing the point...
    What do I know, ask the "experts"!

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    you know what's more WW than 2x9?

1x9.

just sayin' is all

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    I would prefer ' I happen to have x for sale' to be in a PM

Lefty Heaven
    Mar 2007
    A cheap and simple way to do it is just to remove the crank, remove the granny ring, put the crank back and adjust the front der. so it's limited to the two chainrings only.

You can go one step further if you have 3 spacers between your BB cups and frame (2 on drive side and one on the other). Just move the spacers so you have 2 spacers on the non drive side and one on the drive side. That will improve the chain line slightly.

You can buy 2x9 set ups, but try it this way. It's cheap! my LBS did it for $5 as I dont have a reliable BB tool. I did the der. adjustments myself.

Adjust the der. so you only get 2 clicks with the left shifter. I have Sram grip shift so it was really simple, but it would be almost as simple with triggers Sram or Shimano.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozvena
    Why would somebody do this? I am missing the point...
    i'm missing the point - why do people think they need to go into other people's threads and question the reasoning behind it...

Members who have read this thread: 0