Thread: 29'er Rush

USED2COULD

Cool-blue Rhythm 29'er Rush

I'm always hearing about 650B Rush's why didn't anyone tell me...

I recently rebuilt my 26" Industry Nine wheels on to Crest 29" rims for my Cannondale F29'er 1. This left me with a set of Arch rimmed 29" wheels.

I was looking for a rear wheel to store my bike hanging upside down (now it was missing the former I9 wheel). I figure without the tire the old 29'er wheel will do. But there was a surprising amount of clearance. So I grabbed the 2.2 Race King that came on my bike a couple of years back and sure enough it clears the stays.

A quick test with no shock pressure indicates the tire kisses the seat tube at about 60% of the stroke (I'm running it 125% of my regular setting for a test ride).

I'm already planning on converting the Lefty as I was going to move it to a FS 29'er.

Anyway I'm going to ride this tomorrow just on a gravel trail to see what it feels like. It sits very high as you can imagine. I'm hoping the Rush's low BB helps with the effect this plays.

EDIT: I forgot to add removal of front derailure was required, so bike is 1x9
    Last edited by NS2000X; 07-31-2011 at 04:07 AM.
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

USED2COULD
    So I went for a short road ride today (I'm not mad enough to ride off road until the lefty conversion is in the fork), and it didn't seem as weird as I expected it might. I felt higher, but still didn't feel like I was sitting "on top of the bike".

For some reason, the seat to bar drop seemed more pronounced, but of course it is identical, so perhaps it was just the height playing tricks on me.

Does anyone have an ingenious way for me to limit the rear swing arm travel that is non-destructive (this is after all just a science project). I'm not too concerned about the tire hitting the seat tube and locking up, but should that happen while trying to negotiate a gravel corner at speed it would lead to just about as fantastical results as the front wheel bottoming against the Lefty.
    2x10
    1x1
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Interesting project, looks like it could be cool.

Check this out..

http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/...r-shocks_90768

The white bumper on the right of the picture seems like it is a bottom out bumper. If there were a way to find another one or two of those to fit in, it may limit the shock enough to prevent the seat tube from catching the tire.

Another suggestion would be to give a call to PUSH, they may have some interesting answers for you and your project.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb View Post

Check this out..

The white bumper on the right of the picture seems like it is a bottom out bumper. If there were a way to find another one or two of those to fit in, it may limit the shock enough to prevent the seat tube from catching the tire.

Another suggestion would be to give a call to PUSH, they may have some interesting answers for you and your project.
    I think the white thing you are referring to is the IFP which is almost impossible to access without special tools. Not to mention very difficult to reassemble if you got it apart. I think you would be better off using a spacer on the shaft to the left.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb View Post

Check this out..

Hmmm, how much to spend on a bike I won't ride?

By the way - with the I9's my 29'er 1 is at 22.14 lbs so yours is still noticeably lighter.
    I plan on transferring most of my F29'er componentry to a Jet 9 R.D.O including the short travel lefty. I'm going to use a Cane Creek Angleset to recover the steer-angle lost to the lower crown.
    2x10
    1x1
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    The RP23 on my old Rush already had a bump stop added. You could always just add another?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Interesting idea, but what do you gain by going 29er and losing suspension travel?
    '07 Rush Carbon 2

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob H. View Post
    Interesting idea, but what do you gain by going 29er and losing suspension travel?
    A fair question. I get a bike I keep a while longer instead of selling for parts to fund my 29'er conversion.

Mostly I get to find out what it is like. Once I have a replacement for the Rush and the only real options for me were Scalpel 29'er, Tallboy, jet 9 RDO, and Epic S-Works Carbon, the Rush frame will honestly likely just hang from the rafters for ever (I'm a total pack rat and crap at parting with things).

Maybe others who already own a rush will find it interesting. I don't anticipate it to ride better than originally, why would it, the BB will be too high, and as you point out more of a soft tail. However it will ride differently, and that's what I enjoy most about loping around on the big wheels.

Thanks for posting

James
    2x10
    1x1
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Good response. Props to you for taking the chance
    '07 Rush Carbon 2

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X View Post
    Does anyone have an ingenious way for me to limit the rear swing arm travel.
    Put a nice fat cyclocross tire on. Tongue in cheek, but, yet, not.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com