Thread: 29 suspension

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Good job! 29 suspension

My rides: f2000sl, F29, and a blur. Got the 29 in the early spring and no looking back. Ride technical xc here in the NW. Can go back and forth between the blur and the 29 with similar feel, but no doubt the 29 platform works. Now with the factory meeting over, I'm ready to see what they have planned for a suspension 29. I think the scapel platform is good, but the carbon stays may not offer the lateral stability. Single pivot would be nice, but don't need a bunch of travel, =<4". Cheers from WA.

mtbr member

No good

Quote Originally Posted by no nancies
    My rides: f2000sl, F29, and a blur. Got the 29 in the early spring and no looking back. Ride technical xc here in the NW. Can go back and forth between the blur and the 29 with similar feel, but no doubt the 29 platform works. Now with the factory meeting over, I'm ready to see what they have planned for a suspension 29. I think the scapel platform is good, but the carbon stays may not offer the lateral stability. Single pivot would be nice, but don't need a bunch of travel, =<4". Cheers from WA.
    I was very very sad that C-dale has no short travel full sus 29er for 08. They might for 09 but that is at least 14 months from now.

In reality I am seriously considering taking on a new line of bikes in my shop to cover this gaping hole in c-dale lineup.

They put a ton of time and money into the new Scalpel but in my eyes a 29er version of it would make so much more sense.

I am now a solid 29er convert. Call me trendy if you like but I can and do ride whatever I like.

C-dale was slow to embrace the big wheels but now is the time for them to act.

Watch as they come late to this very fun party.. What a bummer

j
    ..I'd rather be a headlight on a northbound train..

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Seeing the pics on 29er of the hardtail line up for 08 is a rollover of this year. Too bad. Our group of 29ers felt a short travel bike would be great. Trendy, no just aware. Those who have rode them know they work well. Being able to mate a lefty on another co. frame would be good. Waiting for the Kona rep to hand over the new suspension 29 for a work out. There's a good line J. Cheers.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Why should they make a "me too" suspension 29'er? Alot of those bikes are just wacky expansions of their 26 inch brothers. Geo is funky, ride quality is not the best. You all know how C'dale works. It's all or nothing, so if it is going to happen expect something great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    Why should they make a "me too" suspension 29'er? Alot of those bikes are just wacky expansions of their 26 inch brothers. Geo is funky, ride quality is not the best. You all know how C'dale works. It's all or nothing, so if it is going to happen expect something great.

Good call on that one..

They are waiting to get it done right..

j
    ..I'd rather be a headlight on a northbound train..

Spaghetti biker
    Hallo people,

I would like to know if it is possible to mount a pair of 29ers on my 2007 Rush 5, or if you think that it will change too much the bike's handling.

Bear that I'm 6' for 220+ lbs.

Thanks in advance

Have a good ride

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    Wow... yeah? Really? What FS 29er bikes have you ridden? Out of that bunch of bikes, what ones have, "funky" geometry, and which ones have a ride quality that, "is not the best"?

Of course this is out of all the FS 29ers that you have ridden....

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber70
    Hallo people,

I would like to know if it is possible to mount a pair of 29ers on my 2007 Rush 5, or if you think that it will change too much the bike's handling.

Bear that I'm 6' for 220+ lbs.

Thanks in advance

Have a good ride
    I'm not sure it can be done. The bigger rear might either not fit in the frame or might hit the seat tube on full compression. 29er frames have to be designed for the big wheels to physically work but alos to have a proper geometry.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Being able to mate a lefty on another co. frame would be good.

What are you waiting for, Project 321 adapters can get your Lefty mounted on just about any frame you like.

As for a full squish, they will wait till the market requires it for their survival. Some call it waiting to get it right, others call it slow on the uptake.......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Well, the 07 F29 was a market testing bike. Seems to be good since they will have more models next year but let's be honest here, it's still a small, niche market, many people have never even heard of 29er bikes, others are skeptical and don't think heavier and flexier wheels are a good idea and many just don't like the fact that there are still not many choices of wheels, tires, forks... The market is growing fast but it's not a big market yet. Developping a 29 FS frame needs time, ressources and investments and I would have been surprised that they didn't wait to see how the F29 does on the market before starting to develop a 29 FS... I think they have the GO now but time is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    it's not a big market yet.
    Hmmm, according to the industry rags, since Specialized and Fox now have product, it is no longer a "niche" and can now be considered "legit" by all the haters out there. Sounds like it's time for Cannondale to excrete, or get off the pot if you ask me....As to it taking huge amounts of time, ummm, not really, we're talking numbers here, that already exist. It's not like they are trying to turn straw into gold, just an engineer with Solid Works, Pro E etc, and a computer, plus half a brain, and a few competitors catalogues

BTW Dan, how's things up north???

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Got the specs on Kona's 29 platform. Called the Hei Hei 29. 3.5" travel, Scandium. Waiting to see geometry, Hopefully will be available through the frame shop. S'posed to get demo from the Rep. Will advise.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    BTW Dan, how's things up north???
    Not bad, I wasn't riding as much as I wanted this season but now it's getting better even though I'm on the busy side. And more: I'm working freelance again and currently, my commute distance doubled, that's good for me and you know how it works: freelance means more money: maybe I'll be able to get a new Scalpel after all.

On a negative note though, my favorite trails got closed down. Land owners think mountain bikers pollute and thrash the place. No, it's not those kids on their motocrosses or fat guys and their Big Foot converted Jeeps in singletracks that go start fires and drink beer, it's us mountain bikers who go there and come back with everything we brought and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Not bad, I wasn't riding as much as I wanted this season but now it's getting better even though I'm on the busy side. And more: I'm working freelance again and currently, my commute distance doubled, that's good for me and you know how it works: freelance means more money: maybe I'll be able to get a new Scalpel after all.

On a negative note though, my favorite trails got closed down. Land owners think mountain bikers pollute and thrash the place. No, it's not those kids on their motocrosses or fat guys and their Big Foot converted Jeeps in singletracks that go start fires and drink beer, it's us mountain bikers who go there and come back with everything we brought and more.

More work just means more night riding Sorry to hear about your trails, yep, we always get blamed, while 4 wheelers and motocrosser's blow by with a cloud of exhaust.......Keep rockin', A new bike's sure to come soon!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    A scalpel would seem to fit the bill IMO. 'dale would be good in getting a lightweight 29er rig rolling and it just makes sense that a bike that has so much r&d could be adapted efficiently. A rush may be too hefty. Salsa has their bikes dialed and light and a similar rr susp. It will be interesting to say the least. I rode the f29 for awhile and loved the rig, other than it could be a bit lighter.