mtbr member
    Oct 2006

27.5 650b wheel with 130mm Lefty Max RLC

So, is anyone running a 27.5 front wheel with their Lefty Max? I'm thinking of selling my spare Crossmax wheel set and having Mendon build up a nice set of wheels, with a 26" rear and a 27.5" front (on my Carbon Rize 2). Anyone have any experience with a similar set-up? Clearance issues with the 27.5 up front? I know that my tire selection might be limited. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    So, I did some research, and found that while my Lefty Max (actually, almost any Lefty...) will accommodate a 650b (27.5") wheel/tire just fine, my Rize rear triangle will not. But that's actually ok--I have always liked the "69'er" concept, and a 26/650 combo seems like a bit less of a drastic contrast. So I'm going to go with a 650b up front only, and keep my 26" rear. I am going to have Craig at MendonCycleSmith build up a nice, sturdy set (at 225 lbs, I need it...LOL!).

Here are a couple links I found with some confirmation:

650b Rize

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/fin...bd-450185.html

650b Prophet

And it appears that Prohpets are the "go to" AM-type C-Dales to convert to 650b...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a bonded clamp 130mm Lefty Max and it's worked OK so far with 650b/2.3 nevegal and neo moto. I haven't tried the huge-o schwalbes though.

I'm also running the integrated XC3 stem, which reduces clearance just a tiny bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    I have a bonded clamp 130mm Lefty Max and it's worked OK so far with 650b/2.3 nevegal and neo moto. I haven't tried the huge-o schwalbes though.

I'm also running the integrated XC3 stem, which reduces clearance just a tiny bit.
    That sounds great. I just ordered-up a 27.5 wheel from Craig (MendonCycleSmith - amazing service!!), and can't wait until it arrives. I went with a Stan's Flow wheel, DT db blacks, brass nipples, and a Cannondale Hub (resisted the urge/temptation to go with bling hub). I actually plan to run a Nobby Nic up front--hope I clear it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have my doubts that the 2.35 NN will clear the lefty fork. The 2.25 may though. The 2.35 has almost half an inch, or so, on the 2.3 neo moto. There was a comparison somewhere between the two tires, and the NN equipped wheel was like 0.75-1inch taller.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sandwich, Thanks for the heasds-up! I'll order up the 2.25 and take my chances...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Post up if it works. I'm tempted to get the NNs next but the pacentis are great tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Which Pacenti are you using? What type of terrain? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The neo moto in 2.3. It's a great tire for "all conditions" ie put it on and go ride. I switched to the nevegal for the winter slop/wetness as it's a softer tire, but will go back to the neos once it dries out a bit. The neos aren't very soft, but they roll fair and grip well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Cool, good info. I'm wondering how a Maxxis Crossmark would be up front in my terrain (Southern California deserty-mountain terrain/trails)...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    No idea. I don't have any experience on them tayres and I live on the east coast, where it's usually rocks, loam, and a thin film of humidity on everything. The neos handled that well, and also did well up at the kingdom trails in VT, which are much more hardpacked singletrack and sand.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Woohoo! Got my package from MendonCycleSmith in today... Can't wait to get the tires and mount this 650b front up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I actually just built up a 650b bike with a Lefty PBR Ultra. The fork is set at 130mm, and I have a 2.35 Nobby Nic on a NoTubes Arch on the front. I let all the air out, and fully compressed I am not hitting the crown of the fork (although the hose guide just below the crown is right on the verge of rubbing) - no spacers required. I don't have a picture with the fork compressed, but here is what the bike looks like:

27.5 650b wheel with 130mm Lefty Max RLC-picture-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wow. Nice bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin8r View Post
    Wow. Nice bike!
    Thanks - I just finished building it up for my wife. I can now officially say that her bike is nicer than mine I posted it in a thread over on the 650b forum - here's a link:

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/pre...en-843317.html

First ride will hopefully be this weekend!