mtbr member

26" wheels on a Carbon Flash 29er frame

First off... I know this is a weird question and as much as I hope I dont get a whole heap of "why?" posts, I know there will be some. So if you dont know or think its a dumb question... by all means look away and leave me to my bizarre thoughts!

Anyway... I was looking at using a friends 26" Flash for a race I have coming up (I have a 29er Flash). I was having a look at the differences in the frames geometery and with the exception of chainstay length and head angle, the frames are very, very similar.

So my question is, does anyone know if the geometery (angles in particular) change if 26" wheels are used on the 29er frame? Where this is heading is obviously... rather than use someone elses bike... i might be able to get away with 26" wheels on my frame.

I'm going to give this a go anyway but was interested in any technicalities people either can pick up on or know from looking at this type of stuff.

26" 29"
    Size SPECIFICATIONS Large Large
    A Seat Tube Length 48.2 47.5
    B Top Tube Horizontal 61.5 62.2
    C Top Tube Actual 59.1 59.6
    D Head Tube Angle 70.3 71.2
    E Seat Tube Angle 73.3 73
    F Stand Over 79.9 81.9
    G Head Tube Length 13.4 13.4
    H Wheelbase 110.6 110.9
    I Front Centre 68.6 67.3
    J Chain Stay Length 42.2 44.4
    K Bottom Bracket Drop 3.5 6.5
    L Bottom Bracket Height 29.5 30.2
    M Fork Rake 4.5 4.5
    N Trail 7 7.7

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    do the test and let us know wat happened dan we will know...;-)

i think you will need to stop pedaling when cornering hard because the BB wil be very low
    i have the same issue on my flash 29 with roady tyres

mtbr member
    ok... thats probably the big one that makes the most sense. the BB height with 29" wheels is 30.2cm (or 7mm higher than 26" version) and this is measured with wheels on (obvious I know...), and by using 26" wheels that BB height would drop by 1.5"? Or bring it down to around 26.5cm. that seems pretty low and will probably kill this idea off before it really began!