mtbr member
    Aug 2010

220 lbs on a Scalpel asking for trouble??

I thought I read somewhere that Cannondale spec'd a weight limit on their Scalpel Frames but can't find anything on their website. I'm 220 lbs, ride Eastcoast rock gardens, 1' to 2' drops, etc. and I'd like a quick all arounder with the occasional race, bike. Am I asking for trouble by purchasing a Scalpel? I'm thinking of waiting for their 29er to come out.
    Last edited by tmg49; 10-03-2010 at 07:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I am 225 and rode a Scalpel Ultimate and there were no problems. I understand that with the strength of the new Ballistec carbon there are no weight limits.

Cannondales test cycles also typically use a 250 pound rider weight.

mtbr member
    They simulate a 250 pound rider RIDING the bike not doing jumps and drop offs. The Scapel is built for races not bashing it around in the woods. You gotta pick the right tool for the job.

mtbr member
    1-2' drops might be pushing it. I'd check out to see if your shop has an old stock carbon Rize/RZ. I think the 140 mm of travel would be better for you.

I too am on the east coast, and I am currently riding a 29er HT (see signature). If I were to get an FS bike it would probably be one of the carbon Rize's/RZ's before they are gone. They are a great all arounder, especially in the East. Hell, Jeramiah Bishop rode one for quite a few big races this year; Wilderness 101 and I think most of the Breck Epic.

My spelling is atroshus
    I went with the Rize over the scalpel because my LBS admonished me that I'd probably destroy the Scalpel in short order, at least with the way I ride. They indicated that the Scalpel was a lightweight race bike and while it's really nice, it's just not built for the everyday rigors of mountain bike riding.

My Rize is somewhat heavier, but I absolutely love this bike! It seems like it is almost effortless to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm trying to decide between a 2010 rz120 3 for $1699 and a 2010 Scalpel 4 for $1999. If it wasn't for my concerns, which may be unfounded, with the sturdiness of the Scalpel, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I love the pivotless technology, etc. I even like the paint job better.

Just to clarify my original post, any jumping I do (1' to 2', etc.) are typically in an effort to smooth the trail ahead, clearing obstacles, etc. at speed. I'm not into drops to flats, or crazy stunts, etc, and I've never come close to bottoming my current 5" bike. I've never broken a frame even in my hardtail days (CAAD 3 Cannondale). In my mind, any bike ought to be designed to handle a wide range of riders, and the Scalpel 4 has a lower end spec with what seem to be heavier duty wheels (Sun EQ25 same as the RZ) than it's racing counterparts.

There are no LBS in my area that have Scalpels or RZs to test ride so I'd be buying the bike without test riding first.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    From http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...plement_en.pdf

Intended Use Scalpel 100 is intended for Condition 3 (Cross-Country, Marathon) riding.
    Condition 3 riding includes Conditions 1 and 2, plus rough trails, small obstacles, and smooth technical areas, including areas where momentary loss of tire contact with the round may occur. NOT jumping. All mountain bikes without rear suspension are Condition 3, and so are some lightweight rear suspension models.
    Riding in Condition 3 ranges from mild to aggressive over intermediate terrain (e.g., hilly with small obstacles like roots, rocks, loose surfaces and hard pack and depressions). There are no large “sick drop” or drop offs, jumps or launches (wooden structures, dirt embankments) requiring long suspension travel or heavy duty components. Crosscountry and marathon quipment (tires, shocks, frames, drive trains) are light-weight, favoring nimble speed over rute force.
    Suspension travel is relatively short since the bike is intended to move quickly on the ground and not spend time in the air landing hard, and hammering through things

The max weight for a Rize (2008 - 140 mm travel ) is 300lbs, but it doesn't say anything about the Scalpel. I would choose the Rize 120 if I were you.